Standardized tests

mimi

Reaction score
Anyone think standardized tests complete bullsh*t? Has anyone seen some of the words on the GRE Verbal section? they are really ridiculous.

I did horrible on my General GRE that I took almost 4 years ago, yet had high GPAs. Unfortunately I can't retake this test this year because I have put in ALL my effort into studying Biochemistry GRE this November. This General GRE score has been driving me crazy for months. I'm afraid this score will keep me from getting into the school of my dream. Well, my boss and my parents convinced me to go for the Ph.D. just 6 months ago, so I don't have much time left to study for the general test. I was reluctant to apply to the PhD program because of the low score. My boss encourages me to apply this year because he can't wait to take me as his PhD student at UC Berkeley. Well I expect that in January he will be shocked at my GRE score and turn me down...lol

mimi said:
Has anyone seen some of the words on the GRE Verbal section? they are really ridiculous.
Can you give some examples? I am curious. I haven't taken any tests in a very long time.

I learned English as a second language...probably why my verbal score is so poor. Here are some GRE words: petulance, perhelion, polemic, intramural, archipelago. :) I hope they will overlook my GRE, since my other areas are pretty strong.

GRE is generally for students who want to continue their higher education into a MA or Ph.D programs... Some universities require it while others don't (they prefer interviews or portfolio, etc)

My friend is losing her hair over the GRE which is required to apply a MA program at UC-Davis... She knew about it for past two years and she finally decided to push off her MA application for another year so she can have one year off from being schooled (and to study solely GRE!) She said that she didn't even open the plastic-covered GRE book that my husband lent to her! :-o Oy vey!

I only know "archipelago" out of all words mimi gave examples of... :-/ Am I doomed too??

gnarlydorkette said:
GRE is generally for students who want to continue their higher education into a MA or Ph.D programs...
I only know "archipelago" out of all words mimi gave examples of... :-/ Am I doomed too??
Yes, I know about the GRE (Political Science test). . . but it has been since 1982. . . a loooooong time!

I knew all the words except "perhelion", which I had forgotten until I reviewed it. The hint was that "-helion" had something to do with the sun (Helios).

No, you are not "doomed". :)

I've always wondered about standardized testing for native ASL signers. I'd imagine that there are some words that there just aren't direct translations for, so it would be a lot more difficult picking up the vocab.

Good luck with the rest of your testing.

The only way I can imagine studying for a broad vocab test like that is just reading, reading, reading.

Any chance, you could take the verbal GRE in your native language?
Yes, the GRE verbal is hard.....but it's not that hard. If you have the vocab to suceed in a post grad program, then the verbal should be a snap!

Back