Standard or mini Freedom?

kayla123

Reaction score
I'm in the process of choosing Kayla's Freedom processor and can't decide on mini or standard. All opinions appreciated, thanks.:dunno:

I do not follow? Are you talking about the body worn vs the behind the ear?
i think she mean..

the mini BTE and the standard BTE for nucleus freedom..

the mini BTE is smaller than the standard BTE

standard BTE use 3 batteries mini BTE use 2 batteries

standard BTE cause use accessories like plug-ins, etc..
mini BTE can't use accessories

there is rechargeable batteries for standard not mini.
there's some pros and cons on both

One of the advantages of the standard Freedom is that the audio cable can be used with portable devices like iPods, CD players, FM systems, etc. The mini does not allow any of these accessories to be used (unless you use headphones). The mini Freedom isn't much smaller than the standard Freedom. However, if Kayla has smaller ears, you might consider the mini.

I was referring to the BTE processor, and thanks for the info guys. Because Kayla is young, i am leaning towards the mini one. My main concern is, will she be able to use her FM system with it.

The mini will not allow you to use an FM system. However, I believe you could use a neckloop with the mini's T-coil. If you're interested in being able to use an FM system, you might be better off choosing the standard.

The audiology department at Childrens Hospital of Philly recommended to us the standard because of the reasons others stated above. You can't use the number of accessories with the mini. I don't know how important that would be to a little child, but we went with the standard for Isaac.

WOW! I never heard of the mini BTE! Ya learn somethin new everyday! Based solely from this thread, I would lean towards the standard bte. The BTE with body worn is pretty small. It gets big and bulky when you add the battery pack to it.

Not a CI user, but you might want to ask Kayla's audi if one is more durable (less prone to breaking) then the other one.

Both the mini and the standard Freedom are made of the same material. The only difference between the two lies in size (the standard is slightly larger than the mini) and the fact that the mini doesn't allow for direct connection to an iPod, portable CD player or FM system via an audio cable.

Thanks for all of your input. I went ahead and ordered the standard size. Kayla does use her FM in school. I left a message for her audi yesterday and she called me back today and suggested the standard size. I guess there is a lot of people upgrading because they gave me an estimated shipping date of Feb.28. I was thinking it would be here in a week or so...lol.

Both the mini and the standard Freedom are made of the same material
Oh I figured that.........but I was thinking that maybe the larger one might be more durable, as smaller things tend to be more prone to breakage.

Back