Staff Tackles and Chokes Deaf Shopper suspected of Shoplifting

Don't steal and security guards won't bother you.

That should be the point. If he didn't have stolen merchandise setting off the alarm, the guard would have no reason to touch him.

You said it best...I love to shop...but know my limits and what I can or can't afford. This deaf guy seems to be a full-fledged thief, (as per his record), and isn't gonna stop. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, would never even consider having someone like that in my home, or even my business if I owned one.

there was a documentary about forever 21 on PBS i think it was. forever 21 is owned by a korean couple out in California that had a sweat shop and was real real bad with its workers. the forever21 managers all over the country were real jerks when protesters showed up at stores. seems the way their security guards are allowed to act is a reflection of the owners feelings for its customers

there was a documentary about forever 21 on PBS i think it was. forever 21 is owned by a korean couple out in California that had a sweat shop and was real real bad with its workers. the forever21 managers all over the country were real jerks when protesters showed up at stores. seems the way their security guards are allowed to act is a reflection of the owners feelings for its customers

If true, this is revealing......regardless of the guilt or innocence of the defendant, the security guard was wrong.....choke-hold is not reasonable given the circumstances. Defendant was not a threat to anybody.....just a low-life habitual pilferer.

I doubt most of those illegal citizen's arrests are by security guards. These days in this police state... the mall security guards are more protected than ever.

forever 21. it's serious business.

Everybody is equal to my eyes - regardless of race, gender, or disability. There's law and there's common sense. I side with whoever is on par with law and common sense.

I recall from a thread I was reading in OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... regarding one private security guard had tried to 'grab' a holstered, loaded pistol from a guy, who served in the Marines and also specializes in hand to hand combat. A security guard got his jaw smashed by a swing elbow kick and was hostpitalized for injuries.

A security guard sued and was thrown out by a Judge because, his actions was unreasonable and could have handled better in this suitation and the guy walked away scot free. No charges were laid by police.

Now for this Deaf guy who got chokehold by a private security, a private attorney firm is now representing deaf client and is demanding Forever21 and security guard to settle to their favour or go to Court.

Don't steal and security guards won't bother you.

That should be the point. If he didn't have stolen merchandise setting off the alarm, the guard would have no reason to touch him.

Steal something and security guard can detain just like cops did but NOT THE CHOKEHOLD or use un-neccessary, brutal force.

In fact, many cops got sued, demoted or fired from job due to un-neccessary force when detaining suspect.

I recall from a thread I was reading in OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... regarding one private security guard had tried to 'grab' a holstered, loaded pistol from a guy, who served in the Marines and also specializes in hand to hand combat. A security guard got his jaw smashed by a swing elbow kick and was hostpitalized for injuries.

A security guard sued and was thrown out by a Judge because, his actions was unreasonable and could have handled better in this suitation and the guy walked away scot free. No charges were laid by police.
you left out a huge part. Can you please link it so I can read a whole story?

Now for this Deaf guy who got chokehold by a private security, a private attorney firm is now representing deaf client and is demanding Forever21 and security guard to settle to their favour or go to Court.
I hope Forever21 wins.

Steal something and security guard can detain just like cops did but NOT THE CHOKEHOLD or use un-neccessary, brutal force.

In fact, many cops got sued, demoted or fired from job due to un-neccessary force when detaining suspect.

how many is "many"?

Well, my imho he should not get one dime out of this suing. He is not Deaf but a thief and he lost his right when he stole out of something. i am so tired of protect those thieves.

Hello,

The deaf thief is caught but he can't hear the alarm. The hearing people can hear the alarm and stop turn back. No problem. But we are deaf that we can't hear it...that is not fair. The security guard have no right to chokehold deaf guy. They ignore his brother. I am deaf also. What if other deaf customers will have same problems? I hope that ADA will make new law that the light strobe must require install for the alarms for every stores! Also, ADA will ask all the police and etc for special train for the deaf people ....must required.

I hope that security guards will get fired for ingore the deaf people...the security guards knew that deaf guys used body laungage ...that's mean they are deaf! The guards should knew better!

Chokehold should remain illegal because it is fatal.

Remember Carl Dupree? Several DOSS (now DPS) officers put him down and one of them used a chokehold on him on Gally campus. As a result, the chokehold untimely ended his life and left his two or three kids fatherless. I witnessed the start of this incident before I entered Ely Center.

Chokehold should remain illegal because it is fatal.

Remember Carl Dupree? Several DOSS (now DPS) officers put him down and one of them used a chokehold on him on Gally campus. As a result, the chokehold untimely ended his life and left his two or three kids fatherless. I witnessed the start of this incident before I entered Ely Center.

what was the reason for arrest?

what was the reason for arrest?

He was on Persona Non Grata (PNG) list, so he was not supposed to be on the Gally campus. Before this incident, he had an argument with one of the professors who called the DOSS on him. After that, he was on his way to pick up his wife and kids who were waiting for them in Ely Center. The DOSS officers stopped him from entering the building and you know the rest. None of the arresting officers were little or not fluent in ASL.

The one quote that has stuck with me for a long time: "Carl was handcuffed and the chokehold was applied". :eek3:

I remember another reference to this case but would like to know more about it if anyone knows: The interpreter did not properly convey (in court) an apparently critical piece of testimony.........Thanks for that link, Banjo

He was on Persona Non Grata (PNG) list, so he was not supposed to be on the Gally campus. Before this incident, he had an argument with one of the professors who called the DOSS on him. After that, he was on his way to pick up his wife and kids who were waiting for them in Ely Center. The DOSS officers stopped him from entering the building and you know the rest. None of the arresting officers were little or not fluent in ASL.

Was Carl Schroeder the one who called the DOSS on him? It's been ages since I remember the incident. I was a kid at the time. I read somewhere that Carl DuPree's children blame Carl Schroeder for the death of their father?

ah... now we have 2 horrible incidents. Gally and mall but I have a problem with this paragraph. a big problem.

A perfect example of audism: After this casualty, Gallaudet University didn't address the persistent communication barriers between the students and the guards sufficiently. I don't remember what disciplinary actions, if any, were taken regarding the security guards. In fact, I seem to recollect one getting a promotion soon after the completion of the trail. To this day, the overall quality of the security guards' signing skills still isn't good.

I think it's time that deaf people drop this kind of attitude and start learning what to do in this kind of situation. I'm getting fed up with people demanding police officers to know this and that - know how to tell the difference between mentally-disabled person and drunk person... a person having a seizure which may look like he's resisting arrest.... and so on.

How about.... YOU (general you) learn how to be a cooperative citizen (even if you have been wronged)?

1. do not resist. do not argue. ever. if you broke rule #1 - then you're an idiot
2. respect all officers and security guards and OBEY THEIR ORDER. If you have been wronged - that's what lawyer and court are for. Leave your fighting and arguing at court... not on street.
3. choke hold, punching, baton beating, mace, etc... all those can be easily avoided if you remember rule #1. if you still get beaten by officer, see #2.

a new ADer made an excellent video - http://www.alldeaf.com/pictures-videos/81061-deaf-must-avoid-cop-abuse-how.html

perfect example of a citizen not being combative when wronged. as the result - he wins. http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/81292-manchester-train-ramp.html

The one quote that has stuck with me for a long time: "Carl was handcuffed and the chokehold was applied". :eek3:

I remember another reference to this case but would like to know more about it if anyone knows: The interpreter did not properly convey (in court) an apparently critical piece of testimony.........Thanks for that link, Banjo

Yes correctly. I now recall that he was handcuffed.

Back