Staff Tackles and Chokes Deaf Shopper suspected of Shoplifting

It was worse than a headlock and the security guy knew that because a choke-hold is a bad gig and easier to control someone but a lot more deadly.

Yes, what a better way to increase that risk of brain damage by cutting off blood and airflow to the brain. Again, we have no information on what happened prior to the video. If it's a case of not responding to an alarm or a guard's verbal order to stop and physically took him down with the shopper unaware then I'd say the deaf guy has a case. A very good case. It'd be simply foolish to render a verdict now without having all the evidence before you to make that determination. Let's not play pretend cop/judge here. We need to see all the evidence and facts first. As bad as that video looks we need to know the whole story first.

Practice. Security persons using best practices limit the use of force to “holding” or “restraining” to effect a detention. Security persons using best practices do not use actions such as striking, tackling, sitting on a suspect’s body, or any other action that might cause physical injury to the suspect.
Rationale. Use of force is subject to criticism, and assaultive use of force is typically unnecessary and unacceptable in the private sector. However, some holding or restraining may be necessary lest potential thieves learn that by simply resisting they may come and steal with impunity. Use of limited holding or restraining force is sometimes necessary to detain a suspect until police arrive, or to prevent a suspect from injuring security persons. Under no circumstances should the force applied be that which may result in injury or death to a suspect. No merchandise is of such value as to justify physical injury to a suspect. The better practice is to allow the suspect to depart the premises rather than to cause any injury by the use of force in detaining the suspect. Assuming the suspect can be identified, the merchant can file a complaint; then the public police have the option of apprehending the suspect at a later time.

Shoplifter Detention and Use of Force – Proper Methods to Detain a Thief Staff Patrol Self Defense & Security

that's up to store owner since the security feature is optional but the store owner must abide by fire code.

Good point... personally I think they should all be that way-- especially 'today' as many people don't pay enough attention to their surroundings-- regardless of their 'abilities'... kids blastin their iPods in their earbuds, people on their phones, etc... it's easy to get distracted and having the lighting might help in those cases as well... but that's just my thought on it---

Well, okay, fine. American laws are so complicated and contradictory it really doesn't matter anyway. Besides, there's always a big difference in what a law says and how it is applied. I'm just saying, though, for a citizens arrest, it must be a felony in many states. Not all, but many.

C'mon now. You're from NJ/NYC, you know that there are plenty of outdoor escalators that are not part of the mall itself. Like, Subways, hello?

Just watch the video again, ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Okay? It takes place on the sidewalk outside the store, in the open air.

It's okay to admit when you're wrong. :lol:

TWA - I regret to inform you in this instance Jiro is wrong. Look at 3:03 is all I need to say. I know he doesn't watch all videos thoroughly.
At 3:03 you can see trees, the sky, and a trolley stop or so.

TWA - I regret to inform you in this instance Jiro is wrong. Look at 3:03 is all I need to say. I know he doesn't watch all videos thoroughly.

Why do you regret to inform me? Lol, that's what I was trying to say all along.

Now I'm gonna go do my victory dance and chug a beer. :monkey:

Why do you regret to inform me? Lol, that's what I was trying to say all along.

Now I'm gonna go do my victory dance and chug a beer. :monkey:

jsha87.png

Happy? This is better than video for clear.

Forever 21: Reviews
1 - 10 of about 18
Write a review
They kick my dog‎‎
By yourmanstan - Aug 13, 2010
Due to a disability a am required to have a dog assist me with much of what I do. As I went by this store their security guard kicked my dog. And why did he do it? He kicked it and now my dog needs operation. I would not recommend anyone ever shop here. They hate animals especially dogs.
maps.google.com
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
has anyone seen my affliction shirt?‎‎
By Jimmy - Aug 13, 2010
i think it was last seen on a wannabe mma fighter choking the fuck out of a deaf guy. you guys know anything about this?‎
maps.google.com
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate

Don't support a store that could kill...‎‎
By Billy - Aug 12, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlippinWindo... Staff Tackles and Chokes Deaf Shopper suspected of Shoplifting From: FlippinWindows | August 09, 2010 "This is what I know, The two guys who are deaf were in the Clothing store XXI and apparently they were shopping, Staff must have seen them do something to suspect them of stealing, but that doesn't have any support or facts. Before I started filming. The Big Black dude in Jeans who mighta been a store detective jumps and tackles the large hispanic deaf guy. from there I remembered my new phone and turned on the camera, There was who looked to be the manager of XXI that said to turn off the camera because they didn't want to get exposed for harassing and dealing with a situation that turned sour. From there, you get to see the turn of events and then in the aftermath, the sorting out of exactly what happen. From what I saw that you guys can't, the deaf guy in the white shirt was apparently ...‎ More »
maps.google.com
29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate

Geez, Too many negative from same shop. I don't understand why dude kick to dog for?

It looks like an open air market... a combo of mall and outdoors... not individually standing stores but not in an inside mall either... a fancy strip mall of sorts?? maybe??

I just know I can't watch it again, it makes my stomach turn...

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news%2Flocal%2Flos_angeles&id=7608062

the latest....

It looks like an open air market... a combo of mall and outdoors... not individually standing stores but not in an inside mall either... a fancy strip mall of sorts?? maybe??

I just know I can't watch it again, it makes my stomach turn...

Just check my #48 and no video need.

I couldn't get the link Sequoia posted to play...
'Deaf' man arrested after scuffle with guards | abc7.com

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Home video showing security guards for a Hollywood store in a scuffle with two men who appear to be deaf has become the talk of the Internet.

It appeared the two men were confused and they were trying to tell the security guards that they are deaf.

Police said one of the men apprehended by the security guards, Alejandro Rea, was charged with robbery, but did not say what he stole. He had a prior record but officials also did not say what for.

Rea posted bail believed to be $50,000 and was released Monday.

Rea's brother was not arrested.

Joshua Fountain shot the video of the physical altercation outside of the Forever 21 clothing store at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue on Saturday.

Two security guards are seen in the video, with one of them on the ground holding one of the Rea brothers in a choke hold. Meanwhile, the other brother is circling frantically trying to help. The two men are making sounds and gesturing but they aren't speaking, the reason for that, according to Fountain, is because they are deaf.

"My common sense would tell me that these guys are deaf, based on their vocals," Fountain said. "They were trying to gesture that they were deaf and that they needed to get something situated because they were obviously confused."

He believes when the men walked out of the store the alarm went off and the security guards grabbed them.

"It wasn't set off with lights, it was set off by sound and they walked out not knowing exactly what happened because obviously they couldn't hear," Fountain said. "They were so scared, they were trying to defend themselves because the guy even if he was a store detective he was dress casually, he wasn't uniformed like an employee, otherwise he would have realized, OK, this guy's trying to stop me."

Forever 21 issued this statement: "We are troubled by the video and do not condone the use of excessive physical force by our employees. We are investigating this matter and will take action once we have the full story."

"If anything I'd like this store, Forever 21, to go ahead and give a public apology, regardless if it was them shoplifting or not," Fountain said.

Dr. Patricia Hughes, CEO of the Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness (GLAD), issued this statement:

"GLAD is appalled by this incident since it clearly showed ignorance on the mall and its security staff. I am very concerned because this popular location has many deaf and hard of hearing customers residing in this area, yet the mall remains ignorant on how to communicate with deaf and hard of hearing individuals.

While the security guard used excessive force in choking the deaf customer, the other deaf customer attempted to communicate with the security staff that the customer on the floor is deaf; however, he was brushed away as if he was not a human being.

GLAD hopes that these two deaf men will contact us so we can work on this unfortunate incident. It is crystal clear that the mall lacks the knowledge on working with people with communication barriers. The whole incident is completely unacceptable."

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Thanks for posting it on here. I wasnt able to do that on my phone.

GLAD hopes that these two deaf men will contact us so we can work on this unfortunate incident.

ohhhhh, Looks like they are already wanting to settle!! Before it even hits the courtroom. LOL

Assuming that the men are innocent (a big assumption, given the news article saying that the suspect has a prior record) I hope there's no settlement, and I hope more than just a financial reward comes out of it. This has the potential to create some good, like flashing security alarms mandatory for all stores so that deaf customers can see them.

Back