St. Augustine woman, hospital clash over service dog

rockin'robin

Reaction score
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Heidi Howard has a service dog named Bear. Bear has been her companion for the past four years and she said it has been an eye opening experience having him around.

"They misunderstand the difference between a pet and a service dog," she said.

Howard said she was diagnosed with uncontrollable high blood pressure and her service dog is there to carry her medications.

"He carries my medicine," she said, "he is with me he keeps me calm, and he will spread an alarm if I am in distress."

The week of April 29, Howard said she was in distress and went to Flagler Hospital Emergency Room. Bear was with her and had an accident.

"Bear had a little mishap," she said. "He was not familiar with the area."

Even so, the hospital allowed her service dog to stay, but it became a problem when it came time for her to be admitted.

The staff asked her to find someone to take care of Bear and Howard was not happy.

"I was angry," said Howard. "I had no one."

She said she removed the IV from her arm and left. Was the hospital wrong?

Gina Mangus is head of patient engagement with Flagler Hospital.

"We do really understand the importance of service animals," said Mangus.

Mangus said the hospital policy is to allow service animals, but when someone is being admitted, there has to be another person to supervise the animal; that is not the hospital's responsibility.

"If you have a service animal there needs to be someone to take care of the animal," said Mangus. "If you have to go for X-rays or something we can't leave an animal unattended in the hospital."

When we checked the ADA requirements, the hospital is following the proper procedures. While Howard is unhappy with the hospital's policy and procedure there was no wrong doing.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/2015/05/05/i-was-angry-and-left/26943729/

It was definitely Heidi's responsibility to find care for her dog if she had to be admitted. Should have been taken care of well in advance. I've never heard of having a dog carry your medicine, what am I missing, doesn't she have a purse?

It was definitely Heidi's responsibility to find care for her dog if she had to be admitted. Should have been taken care of well in advance. I've never heard of having a dog carry your medicine, what am I missing, doesn't she have a purse?

If a person is disable and can't carry a purse a service dog would carry things in a backpack . It does not say the age of the woman , or if she has any other disabilities so it's hard to made any judgment about this. Yes she should had gotten someone to care for her dog , she might not had able to afford to have her dog stay at a kennel . This a tough situation for the woman and dog. If the woman can't get the medical attention she need she could end up not being to care for her dog.

first on me to..definatly her responsibility she has no reason for animal carry medications she in hospital they carry them...I sure a charity or the people who train the service dog would help...totally rediculas expect hospital let dog stay in

first on me to..definatly her responsibility she has no reason for animal carry medications she in hospital they carry them...I sure a charity or the people who train the service dog would help...totally rediculas expect hospital let dog stay in

No the people that train the dogs do not help care for your service dog , that is the person responsibility . I would not want someone from the hospital taking my hearing dog Finlay out to pee , they may know nothing about dogs.

I have a feeling that the dog is trained to carry the medicines in the dog's bag in case if she need the medicines for emergency. I don't know what she meant that she does not have no one to take care of her dog. If this woman happened to be an Elder or Senior, then she need to find someone like a friend to help her take care of the dog while she was in the hospital.

She loved that dog so much that she would not want to part with him to another person, friend or family member. So she decided to ignore her medical conditions that need to take care of so that she won't get sick or die.

I would have to agree with the hospital not being able to take care of the dog. They have no idea how to take care of the dog, especially nurses and orderlies who worked there. :(

Back