SSDI/Unemployment benefits/big savings account?

Im screwed, they dont pay me enough to get through the month, I borrow and pay back people, then again they pay just enough so I dont qualify for food stamps either as well as other benefits... so Im screwed either way. Damned if I do, daned if I dont

When you get SSDI which is like any disability insurance, it doesn't matter how much you have in savings. As for unemployment insurance, like diehardbiker said, you can get it for 6 months. I don't know if that would reduce the amount of SSDI temporarily. I think that it varies depending on a state where you live in and how much you receive from UI monthly.

My ex-brother-in-law receives SSDI which is $1,000 monthly and he's allowed to receive an extra income up to $1,000 monthly from his part-time job so it means that he can have a total of $2,000 from those incomes per month in his state. In other words, if he makes more than $1,000 per month from his job, the amount of his SSDI will be reduced.

I think it(suicide) is due to too many people pretend to be her friend and the only true motivation for pretending as friendship is M~O~N~E~Y that is it. That is why I don't play lottery. Only two states that allows lottery winners remain anonymous while the rest required public announcement which winner will never be able to hide. Not many aware of this until they hit jackpot.

I'm curious. I know this person who was just laid off from job after years of being there. The person just applied for ssdi and got it and is collecting unemployment benefits as well. The person also have a big savings account of over 15,000. dollars which the person refuses to touch.

Is this legal or considered a fraud?

pixiestix- you are probably thinking of ssi where they wanna know every single penny or "liquidable assets". SSDI is more of you worked and "paid into the system". So get this part out of your mind - he worked hard and saved his pennies to get 15k. its not worth getting upset over.

The more appropriate situation here is the receiving of SSA benefits AND unemployment. IF anyone realizes it - you get SSI/DI is because what? you CANT work due to disability. You get unemployment because of what? you are ABLE to work. kinda contradicts itself huh? this is where you should be wondering about.

however to be fair here the guy worked. he did not draw SSI. good for the SSA system. he paid SS taxes. he gets laid off or fired all because we deaf/HOH are ALWAYS the "first people to let go of" due to disability" but companies wont admit it. they just dont want to deal with the so called financial burden in this tough economy times. So- just like everyone else when laid off they file for unemployment. If you happened to be deaf/HOH, you can file for SS disability benefits as well. it takes time for SSDI to be approved and get it. unemployment does NOT last long at all. By the time he gets SSDI unemployment is running out and I can assure you that the money for both is not EVEN close to what he made when he was working and due to tough times he still has to make tough changes and choices and still pay for bills. There are many, many people out there with no jobs and no new jobs rolling in like it used to.

So what I am saying is just be thankful he has a source of money to keep it local and help somewhat in his local area by spending money HERE in usa. Think of millions of unemployed in USA not working and lost middle class and high paying jobs cant pay a thing like mortage,rent , etc.

Just remember - a person receiving SSI can NEVER get unemployment as SSI make sure either you dont work and keep SSI or don't gain assets. They will make you throw away the assets basically. Only way to keep assets is work full time for about 11 years or so until you get laid off or fired. ( trust me, if you are truly a good person you wont get fired and will always be laid off.) There are SO many deaf/HOH who worked for years and being culled out first due to economy. Just be careful of how you feel about your freind.

pixiestix- you are probably thinking of ssi where they wanna know every single penny or "liquidable assets". SSDI is more of you worked and "paid into the system". So get this part out of your mind - he worked hard and saved his pennies to get 15k. its not worth getting upset over.

however to be fair here the guy worked. he did not draw SSI. good for the SSA system. he paid SS taxes. he gets laid off or fired all because we deaf/HOH are ALWAYS the "first people to let go of" due to disability" but companies wont admit it. they just dont want to deal with the so called financial burden in this tough economy times. So- just like everyone else when laid off they file for unemployment. If you happened to be deaf/HOH, you can file for SS disability benefits as well. it takes time for SSDI to be approved and get it. unemployment does NOT last long at all. By the time he gets SSDI unemployment is running out and I can assure you that the money for both is not EVEN close to what he made when he was working and due to tough times he still has to make tough changes and choices and still pay for bills. There are many, many people out there with no jobs and no new jobs rolling in like it used to.

I don't think so. The ones (deaf or hearing) with the lowest seniority go first.

I myself am Dead Deaf, and I had to disagree with you. I went though 4 massive lay offs, guess what? I wasn't the one to let go! Those who didn't perform as company wanted or expected gets to go first. I often outperform the average, by strictly disciplined attendance, shut up and do what company asked me to do, follow whatever supervisor instructed me and do the job right and get done with it. Companies can't afford let go the high performers, easily afforded let go under-performers because under-performers actually cost company money.

he gets laid off or fired all because we deaf/HOH are ALWAYS the "first people to let go of" due to disability"

I myself am Dead Deaf, and I had to disagree with you. I went though 4 massive lay offs, guess what? I wasn't the one to let go! Those who didn't perform as company wanted or expected gets to go first. I often outperform the average, by strictly disciplined attendance, shut up and do what company asked me to do, follow whatever supervisor instructed me and do the job right and get done with it. Companies can't afford let go the high performers, easily afforded let go under-performers because under-performers actually cost company money.
What if all of them are good workers? Then the companies decide by using their seniority list.

What's more, the companies can fire some workers anytime for poor performance and/or attendance.

Depending on state laws. If you referring to State of NC, then your right but if you refer to State of New Yawk, it is not as easy as you think of letting go of poor performers. In New Yawk, employer is best to keep everything documented, give verbal warning and documenting it then written warning which is already documented then can fire. Most companies do this way to protect themselves from lawsuits.

From what I learn, North Carolina is one of few states with weakest employee protection and stronger union and employer protections. Here NY is opposite.

As for necessary layoff, here how they generally do
Lay off the poorest performer first.
Then department to be checked whether to keep it or go, if a department no longer serves company needs, those who are in that department is bye.
Then based seniority if more lay off is needed.

What if all of them are good workers? Then the companies decide by using their seniority list.

What's more, the companies can fire some workers anytime for poor performance and/or attendance.

Depending on state laws. If you referring to State of NC, then your right but if you refer to State of New Yawk, it is not as easy as you think of letting go of poor performers. In New Yawk, employer is best to keep everything documented, give verbal warning and documenting it then written warning which is already documented then can fire. Most companies do this way to protect themselves from lawsuits.

From what I learn, North Carolina is one of few states with weakest employee protection and stronger union and employer protections. Here NY is opposite.

As for necessary layoff, here how they generally do
Lay off the poorest performer first.
Then department to be checked whether to keep it or go, if a department no longer serves company needs, those who are in that department is bye.
Then based seniority if more lay off is needed.
That's true about companies where there is an union to protect employees like USPS/APWU.

Alot of private companies and stores/restaurants don't have unions so they can easily fire lazy or late employees.

BTW, as for USPS I work for, if they plan (may not be possible due to union contract) to lay some people off, it's based on seniority, not job performance or attendance. For example, a lazy guy who works for ten years and a hard worker who has been there for one year, the latter has to go first.

In union usually yeah by seniority and I think it is wrong.

That's true about companies where there is an union to protect employees like USPS/APWU.

Alot of private companies and stores/restaurants don't have unions so they can easily fire lazy or late employees.

BTW, as for USPS I work for, if they plan (may not be possible due to union contract) to lay some people off, it's based on seniority, not job performance or attendance. For example, a lazy guy who works for ten years and a hard worker who has been there for one year, the latter has to go first.

At the Federal level, we have unions as well. From personal experience though, I never found them to be particularly useful and they never provided much assistance when needed.

Laura

Technically, you're not supposed to have $2,000 in your name.

It's possible to get away with it since they don't really ask for how much you have in your bank statement. But when they do, you could withdraw it all before letting them see the statement... but they would still see that you withdrew the money anyways.

So, the best way to do it would be to keep it all in cash at home... which is risky in case of fire or theft. :shock:

That is for SSI, not SSDI. Do you have a link that discusses this restriction for SSDI? I have NEVER been asked for this information for SSDI.

I do not believe this depends on the state, the whole point of government assistance is that you do NOT lose your life savings. And, rightly so. The object is to give people time to get back into the workplace and keep the economy going. So yes, even if you are very wealthy, this is how government assistance is supposed to work. Without it you risk recession.

For SSDI - you can get unemployment insurance. When you get SSDI it doesn't matter how much money you have in your bank account as long you're not working, and not making above SGA.

However, as for SSi - you must keep your bank account below $2,000.00 at all times. Any house values, including cars that are considered above $2,000.00 - you can kiss your SSI goodbye. Yup. All of the posts above only applies to the recipients on SSI, not SSDI. Stark difference between those two.

In NY it was legal and...

Yes, you could collect unemployment and SSDI. SSDI has nothing to do with the amount of money you have. In NY they could overlap. HOWEVVVVERRRR ... As soon as my SSDI kicked in, I ended my unemployment insurance but I didn't have to. Ya gotta be able to live with yourself. I would never say anything against someone who collected both because it was legal.

Back