SS Overpayment repayment

SS is too powerful? I got $11,000 SS overpayment and got all waived after battle with them, so it was in 2009.

I guess it is varies by case to case.

evidences are the key

From what I was told, whether I reported it or not, I still owe them because I went over the limit. I kept saying but I did report it. They didn't care. Sure it helps to have evidence that you reported it but the real issue is I wasn't supposed to get benefits once I was over the limit, period.

From what I was told, whether I reported it or not, I still owe them because I went over the limit. I kept saying but I did report it. They didn't care. Sure it helps to have evidence that you reported it but the real issue is I wasn't supposed to get benefits once I was over the limit, period.

If you know you make over the limit then it will be overpayment anyway. The best thing is to keep the earning under the limit earning within 4 weeks, not 5 weeks if it were a month. Always let boss know to make sure the pay amount is under the limit earning. then all is good.

If you know you make over the limit then it will be overpayment anyway. The best thing is to keep the earning under the limit earning within 4 weeks, not 5 weeks if it were a month. Always let boss know to make sure the pay amount is under the limit earning. then all is good.

Let me ask you this.If you havent started your twp- then you would want to stay under the twp limit right? If you used 9 twp's and then stayed under sga are you ok? Does the TWP ever restarts?

That's YOUR issue. Did you check if the interpreter was certified?

Like the person said above, you know you can't work full time or over a certain amount and continue to get benefits and then say, whaaa? I gotta pay back?? Whaaa? Whyyy? But..But the interpreter wasn't certified!!! Wait a minuite, I did report it!! In short, they don't care. You owe them.

Excuse me? I am not responsible for hiring the interpreter. SSA is. DUH!

I only work 9 out of 12 months because I am a part time teacher. I don't get paid summer months (3 months) and christmas break (2 months).

TWP can be restarted if you apply for SS again but not in the same SS period. Once you use up the 9 month, it can not be used again. But if you got cut off due to full time job or going over the limit and later re-apply for SS benefits, then you get new 9 months of TWP.

This wasn't the case way back. They changed the rules some years ago.

Radioman, mmm ok
As you already know that TWP has to be 9 months over $750 (for 2013) or $770 in 2014 [within 60 months] If you don't work 9 months over in 5 years the old months drop off
‎‎ but even if you use the TWP as long as the gross pay per month is under $1070 we can still pay. Hope it helps?

I only work 9 out of 12 months because I am a part time teacher. I don't get paid summer months (3 months) and christmas break (2 months).
Um, you're not a math teacher, are you? ;)

Radioman, mmm ok
As you already know that TWP has to be 9 months over $750 (for 2013) or $770 in 2014 [within 60 months] If you don't work 9 months over in 5 years the old months drop off
‎‎ but even if you use the TWP as long as the gross pay per month is under $1070 we can still pay. Hope it helps?

I guess I am a bit confused now with magna and you. I am a bit confused on reapply part. is this restarting the SSDI after working ? and let me clarify the 5 year part- it only applies if you work for short time 9 months or less within 5 years regardless of TWP or SGA ? which is it?

i know it is very confusing because of the indivdiual months. If you work in Jan, and then in March, and then in July, and then in October, December, Jan next year, March next year, April next year and June next year that is nine months
It doesnt mean work 8 months then stop and work 8 month then stop. Remember If you reach $ 770 (2014) the it restarts twp after 60 months if you have not worked 60 months past.
Its TWP $$.

That's YOUR issue. Did you check if the interpreter was certified?

Like the person said above, you know you can't work full time or over a certain amount and continue to get benefits and then say, whaaa? I gotta pay back?? Whaaa? Whyyy? But..But the interpreter wasn't certified!!! Wait a minuite, I did report it!! In short, they don't care. You owe them.

I asked SSA representative about if interpreter was certified so they had no idea, however interpreter's ASL was good.

Excuse me? I am not responsible for hiring the interpreter. SSA is. DUH!

That's correct and you should discuss with lawyer about situation with SSA, including interpreter.

Let me ask you this.If you havent started your twp- then you would want to stay under the twp limit right? If you used 9 twp's and then stayed under sga are you ok? Does the TWP ever restarts?

TWP's are counted in any 5 rolling years. What this means is that when you work one month, then wait for five years, that one month is outside the rolling 5 year period and is no longer counted.

TWP's consider you to be working if you earn more than $770 a month.

Ie: Earning $750 a month every month - you will not be affected.
Ie: Earning $10,000 every 7 months in one check, within one month, under the rules, you shouldn't be affected at all.

It looks like you have ground to win the case.

First, fill the overpayment waiver and explain why it is not your fault, so they will have informal conference and high-level position will make decision to waive or not. You need have parent or your lawyer to support your case. If they refuse to waive so you can get lawyer to get SS to court and judge will make decision.

Do you have certified mail that keep as evidence?

I had $11,000 in SS overpayment and I got waived because it was error on SSA side.

What kind of error did they made?

I requested SS to make copies of my files. They sent me a package of my files. I read and discovered two errors. One of the waiver determination form was NOT mine because my SS number do not match my name (they misspelled my last name). I am not sure if they will waive my overpayment due to an error they've made. Time will tell. The second error was that they twisted my words. In fact, they made it up and wrote a fiction summary about my overpayment. I got so angry...I waited for a few days to calm myself down then I wrote a letter to the judge in Baltimore.

from what i was told, whether i reported it or not, i still owe them because i went over the limit. I kept saying but i did report it. They didn't care. Sure it helps to have evidence that you reported it but the real issue is i wasn't supposed to get benefits once i was over the limit, period.

duh!

What kind of error did they made?

I requested SS to make copies of my files. They sent me a package of my files. I read and discovered two errors. One of the waiver determination form was NOT mine because my SS number do not match my name (they misspelled my last name). I am not sure if they will waive my overpayment due to an error they've made. Time will tell. The second error was that they twisted my words. In fact, they made it up and wrote a fiction summary about my overpayment. I got so angry...I waited for a few days to calm myself down then I wrote a letter to the judge in Baltimore.

Error = SSA failed to change my SS after reported about my first paycheck from job via phone.

if you know the ssa rule. then don't make more than the earning limit and return the ss check back, make copy of the pay stubs. simple as that.

Because I did not report my salary to them. I sure did. They ssaid they never received it. I was honest. They weren't honest. Go figure.

This happen to me too, I called SS office and told them I got a job and I was told to work a few weeks then bring my pay stubs to see if I will able to get SSI . I did as told and saw a person and he took copies of all my papers . I kept getting my checks so I thought I was all set . Then I got a letter saying I been overpaid and that I never reported my job. It turn out the SOB I saw never reported my income and never when to see him! I was mad as HELL and called my state representative and had his office handle my case and I won and did not have to a penny back. The SS office had to deal with my
state representative who was a lawyer . How did you report your income , did go in person or did just mail it in ?

Back