Squirrel attacking residents of Vt. neighborhood

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
BENNINGTON, Vt. – A Vermont neighborhood is being stalked by a renegade gray squirrel.
Several people in Bennington say they've been attacked by a squirrel over the last few weeks.
Kevin McDonald tells the Bennington Banner he was shoveling snow when the squirrel jumped onto him. He says he threw the animal off, but it twice jumped back onto him. A game warden says there have been other reports, too.
One woman is being treated for exposure to rabies, but Vermont Public Health Veterinarian Robert Johnson says there's never been a case of a squirrel passing rabies to a human.
Johnson says it's possible the squirrel was raised as a pet and lost its fear of humans. He says the squirrel might "go ballistic" when it encounters people it doesn't recognize.

Squirrel attacking residents of Vt. neighborhood - Yahoo! News

Squirrels are ballistic all the time.

Squirrels are ballistic all the time.

Amen to that.

I was attacked by a squirrel when I was in High school. Dang thing jumped on me and scratched my leg up.

Hate it when they try to cross the road. You can't predict if they will run across or turn around and go back. UGH!

Those chittering creatures are out in force in my area, wreaking havoc and having a merry old time, and it is almost two more weeks till squirrel hunting seasons begins. :lol:

And to think, my MIL contributes to the problem of squirrels in the city. She puts peanuts out everyday for them. She will sit in the carport and hand feed them at times. And, she has been known to pull a chair up right next to the kitchen door and let them inside the step to get their peanuts. Can't do that now with the cats, but seriously, she needs to wisen up a little.

Those chittering creatures are out in force in my area, wreaking havoc and having a merry old time, and it is almost two more weeks till squirrel hunting seasons begins. :lol:

Do you really have squirrel hunting season ???

the squirrels here in Baltimore have been very friendly, oddly.

Squirrels prevent rats.

Some people call squirrels tree rats out here! When I was a kid my older sister and brother and I trapped a squirrel as we thought it was hurt and we brought it in the house! Our mother went ballistic when she saw the squirrel hanging from her chandelier! It turned out there was nothing wrong with the squirrel , it was very healthy and it took us forever to get it out of the house! We where lucky it did not bite us!

Do you really have squirrel hunting season ???

In my state of Missouri, yes we do.
I was mistaken in saying that squirrel hunting season starts in March. It actually starts in May 28 and runs until February 15 with a bag limit of 10 and a possession limit of 20. (Yeah, I had to look it up and am glad I did, though I do not plan to shoot any squirrels. I would rather confound them with the squirrel calls I make by tapping my knuckles against the puffed side of my mouth!)

In my state of Missouri, yes we do.
I was mistaken in saying that squirrel hunting season starts in March. It actually starts in May 28 and runs until February 15 with a bag limit of 10 and a possession limit of 20. (Yeah, I had to look it up and am glad I did, though I do not plan to shoot any squirrels. I would rather confound them with the squirrel calls I make by tapping my knuckles against the puffed side of my mouth!)

Wow. I had not known such a thing as squirrel hunting season existed. I must say I'm glad we don't have that here.

May 28-Feb 15? Why not from Feb 16-May 27 -- what's going on during that time down there?

Wow. I had not known such a thing as squirrel hunting season existed. I must say I'm glad we don't have that here.

May 28-Feb 15? Why not from Feb 16-May 27 -- what's going on during that time down there?

We let them breed like mad minks! :lol:

Some people call squirrels tree rats out here! When I was a kid my older sister and brother and I trapped a squirrel as we thought it was hurt and we brought it in the house! Our mother went ballistic when she saw the squirrel hanging from her chandelier! It turned out there was nothing wrong with the squirrel , it was very healthy and it took us forever to get it out of the house! We where lucky it did not bite us!

Which reminds me of the time I saw my sister's cat with a chipmunk on his face and I took it off his face and ran into the house to show everyone that I had a chipmunk in my hand. It bit my thumb and I think my dad crushed it to the death trying to pry it out of my hand cuz it ran out of the house and died shortly afterwards.

Where do you live? You will be surprised how many people hunt squirrels not for eating, but for sports.

Where do you live? You will be surprised how many people hunt squirrels not for eating, but for sports.

Minnesota. We don't have it here. At least not that I've ever heard of. And (just my opinion) I don't like hunting for the sport of it. So I'm glad we don't, then.

Erk. I learned something new! I don't know of a single person who hunts that so I assumed we didn't have it. I hope nobody shares any gross squirrel stories :lol:

I've hunted squirrels before. and I ate them. and yes it tastes like chicken but stiffer.

Back