Sprint PCS Vision, Smart Device PPC-6700

Woofy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I still have T Mobile Sidekick 2. it works very good, so far. But I am researching to determine if there is a better pager than what I have now.

I found this pager Sprint PPC-6700.

SPRINT PCS -

There is a sale going on. It will cost $99 dollars after rebates. For the Sprint Relay Wireless Data Only Service Plan, it will only cost $29.99 per month. (I am sure there are some hidden charges.)

I would appreciate some feedback about this specific pager.

Thanks!!!

Cingular just released a 2 new phone .. one is the PocketPC just like that ppc-6700 but it's called Cingular 8525 and it got a 400mhz processor and can do 3G speed which is avaiable now is most major cities but still work on older bands.

Cingular and T-Moblie both have a new smartphone out too

Tmoblie new smartphone is called "Dash" and Cingular new smartphone is called "BlackJack" however Dash is only 200mhz and BlackJack is 240mhz and both are very simlar in keyboard and size wise but BlackJack do support 3G band but does not have wifi support. Dash still using GRPS band like your sidekick is using and have wifi built in. Also both phone are very thin.

Cingular 8525 OS is Windows Moblie 5.0

Both T-Moblie Dash and Cingular BlackJack OS are Smartphone Windows Moblie 5.0

Bill

Info on PPC-6700

At most Sprint Stores, you must purchase voice plan (29.95 or more) plus 15.00 for unlimited internet access and 5.00 for 300 SMS. We do have PPC-6700 and love it very much.

We are able to get it without paying voice plan at local Sprint store in Omaha, NE.

Steven

At most Sprint Stores, you must purchase voice plan (29.95 or more) plus 15.00 for unlimited internet access and 5.00 for 300 SMS. We do have PPC-6700 and love it very much.

We are able to get it without paying voice plan at local Sprint store in Omaha, NE.

Steven

Hello,

I went to Deaf Nation Expo recently. And they (Sprint folks) were saying that there is a special plan for deaf customers that only costs 29.95 per month.

I have played with it. It is AWESOME! Way better than my SK. It is practically a computer with the pointer or or your finger to click on the screen. It is more like a tablet kind of thing.

So, so far, do you like it? What are the cons and pros about this pager?

I found this pager Sprint PPC-6700.

SPRINT PCS -

There is a sale going on. It will cost $99 dollars after rebates. For the Sprint Relay Wireless Data Only Service Plan, it will only cost $29.99 per month. (I am sure there are some hidden charges.)

When I was at DeafNation Rochester, the deal was $99 for the phone, $29.99 a month plan, $36 activation fee, two-year plan and insurance was optional but strongly recommended for the $50 deductible on the $399.99 phone.

The pros and cons of PPC-6700 (Sprint):
Pros
1. High Speed Internet in larger cities only
2. Thousands of software to select (Handango - Windows Mobile, Palm OS, BlackBerry and Symbian Smartphone Software Downloads, PocketGear.com: Download Pocket PC Software for your Treo 700w,Dell Axim, iPAQ or other Windows Mobile device., etc.)
3. Video Mail (VRS) - readable by Windows Media Player
4. Wi-Fi

Cons
1. Battery life is limited to about two days depends how much you use.
2. Check data coverage map (it does not cover everywhere)
3. Vibration works well but I recommend you to get PhoneAlarm Lite so you can set how many times to alert you.

Hopefully, it helps you. Thank you.

Steven

About this Sprint Relay Wireless Data Only Service Plan,

Does it assign a phone number to your ppc-6700 since it doesn't have a voice plan or allow you to make a voice call ie per minute charge? Like 20 cent a minute etc?

Also can hearing folks make call and ring your ppc-6700 leaving a caller id listing on the ppc-6700 on this plan?

Does the plan include sms messaging?

And is data is the same as unlimited data allowing you to surf the internet with ppc-6700 or is it limited to relay services only?

Thanks
Bill

Does it assign a phone number to your ppc-6700 since it doesn't have a voice plan or allow you to make a voice call ie per minute charge? Like 20 cent a minute etc?
Yes. You'll get a phone number. It'd be something like that for a telephone call without a voice plan, right.

Also can hearing folks make call and ring your ppc-6700 leaving a caller id listing on the ppc-6700 on this plan?
Are you talking about to the relay program or just calling your particular wireless phone number? You can leave a voicemessage, sure, but I don't know whether or not it uses minutes to retrieve those voicemessages or not.

Does the plan include sms messaging?
No, I believe there's an add on cost for SMS messaging.

And is data is the same as unlimited data allowing you to surf the internet with ppc-6700 or is it limited to relay services only?
Yup. Full data access at unlimited megabyte usage per month, including the 'net, email, data AIM programs (vs SMS AIM programs) and relay.

PPC6700 for $99 at Deaf Expo? I'm hearing impaired...

Unlucky enough (for getting PPC6700), I have no credit history so I purchased Blackberry 7290 from Garth Wireless late-June... :( I'm in a 1-year contract...

I'd prefer Windows Mobile rather than Blackberry because I'm fond of Windows. :) I'd love to develop Windows Mobile applications with Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (which I have already).

I got the ppc-6700 but I had a hard time getting the deaf plan at my local Sprint stoe and they were saying no plan exists and I even told them it was called "Sprint Relay Wireless Data Only Service Plan" that they deny there no such plans avaiable for deaf folks. They were telling me the plan I need to get was a 29.95 voice + 15.00 data a month miniuim!

After about an hour of dispuses between me and the manager then the manager finally called up some Sprint office and admitted to me that there is a deaf plan and it is only 2 week old that why the local store employees was not trained for setting up such deaf plans and it suppose to be 29.95 a month.

I also was told if I wanted tty with VCO enable so I was puzzled by that becasue I thought tty mode in ppc-6700 was voice carrier only not data. I will have to research on that feature and check some more into it.

Now I am waiting to see my first bill and if it still 29.95 a month with no hidden charges. The sprint manager say it going to be 29.95 with taxes etc so we will see.

I got a 2 year contract and paid 299 for the ppc-6700 at the store and I will get 100 dollar back mail in rebate so I paid total of 199.00 with 29.95 a month plan for my phone.

Bill

PC-6700 sucks!!!!! gets virus easily, I get hit already, and it kepts disconnects. WTF? I decided to take it back, just totally fed up, and now I have data card, even though the monthly charge is higher, but man! I love it, can take Lappy anywhere (almost), and I can use anything. Far better than any pager. Only that it is the size, that is kinda bulky. Hey,. I can surf, and do almost anything, much more than what pager could do. I am now at work and surf Alldeaf! :-D

I agreed with DHB cuz I did used his and tested if I do like itl It is nice but in some way I don't like my left shoulder hurt while using (typing). I cannot switch AIM cuz it won't let me! So I am glad he made a decision to switch to data card (wireless internet for laptop) and we sure loved it!!! :thumb:

So it is your CHOICE to get it, enjoy it! In my personal preference is keep my SK2 and I don't want Sk3 at this moment! I would wait for it die or having a problem etc.

PC-6700 sucks!!!!! gets virus easily, I get hit already, and it kepts disconnects. WTF? I decided to take it back, just totally fed up, and now I have data card, even though the monthly charge is higher, but man! I love it, can take Lappy anywhere (almost), and I can use anything. Far better than any pager. Only that it is the size, that is kinda bulky. Hey,. I can surf, and do almost anything, much more than what pager could do. I am now at work and surf Alldeaf! :-D

So far ppc 6700 is working out pretty good for me.

I can use my laptop with the ppc 6700 if I want by connecting the ppc 6700 to the laptop via usb or ir and do everything and surf the internet on laptop just like a data card.

Any processor data devices can get virus even a laptop but a virus is only placed by the user ie clicking email attachments or downloading untrusted software etc.

I am running AIM and MSN and ICQ on ppc 6700 with no problems at all and it will vibrate when someone message me.

Seem you both gave up too soon before fully evaluated it and research into what ppc 6700 is capable of.

I am reading and writing this post at work now on a ppc 6700

For the PPC 6700... Do I need to pay extra for the AIM software to be downloaded to the pager? Do I need to pay to get some software downloaded to the pager?

For the PPC 6700... Do I need to pay extra for the AIM software to be downloaded to the pager? Do I need to pay to get some software downloaded to the pager?

As for I know for the WM5 there is 1 freeware and 2 payware
software.

IMOV - Free
Products - imov Messenger for Microsoft Smartphones
I have not test IMOV yet because I am trying the other one first. I will test it in soon and see how it is but it is FREE to use.

Agile Messenger - Payware - 3 months 14.95 -or- 6 months 19.95 -or- 1 year 29.95
Agile Mobile - Software for Mobile Phones
I am using trial period on Agile Messenger right now and it a nice software. Virbates only when it not in foreground and each message recevied but I don't think I want to pay 30 a year for it so I probably will not take that software.

IM+ - Payware - 39.95 one time
SHAPE Services - Try&Buy
I will try that software next when Agile Messenger trial expires and do some testing but I did temporay test it and it is a nice software however it vibrate each and every time on each message even when your talking it will vibrates so I have email IM+ and see if they would update to add not vibrate when your talking on it.

I will buy that software if they update it with my feature request and it is not "monthly or yearly fee like Agile just one time pay"

Bill

Free = unrealiable

Fee = more realiable but not as guaranteed as you'd like it it be.

I am done with this device BS, and now using datacard and Im much happy with it. I could use more than just what these tweety tiny device got to offer.

Free = unrealiable

Fee = more realiable but not as guaranteed as you'd like it it be.

I am done with this device BS, and now using datacard and Im much happy with it. I could use more than just what these tweety tiny device got to offer.

Curious

How much a month are you paying with data card? 59.99 a month?

Bill

Right
And it is "broadband like". The speed is pretty equilvent to ISDN. Twice of the speed than dial up, BUT not fast enough for VP. I almost had success with VP.

Curious

How much a month are you paying with data card? 59.99 a month?

Bill

I connect my ppc-6700 to my laptop and went to the speed test website on my laptop and I get about 109kbps which is pretty nice speed for a 1xRTT connection.

ppc-6700 alone get about 90kbps but it slow down becasue of the ppc's processor is doing all the work accessing internet and loading browser instead of the laptop.

I can surf comfortable on my laptop and it still faster than a dial up modem unless I am in a metal building then my speed drop to about 40k

My hometown does not have EVDO yet but it is due next spring/summer when it get install then it'll be pretty close to a budget DSL speed.

Bill

Back