Sprint and Nextal merging, what will happen to SprintVRS?

Sprint is primary, so.. nothing will change, but new logo and current same service for only Nextel, no change on Sprint user or any service. Same as it is.

Same happen to AT&T Wireless and Cingular. Nothing change. AT&T Relay Service running same - no big change at www.relaycall.com

EDGE said:
Sprint is primary, so.. nothing will change, but new logo and current same service for only Nextel, no change on Sprint user or any service. Same as it is.

Same happen to AT&T Wireless and Cingular. Nothing change. AT&T Relay Service running same - no big change at www.relaycall.com

Interesting to see AT&T is selling Dlink VP and TV, not giving away like others. What a Cheapstake ! Will AT&T VRS survive? I think not.

lovesorenson said:
Interesting to see AT&T is selling Dlink VP and TV, not giving away like others. What a Cheapstake ! Will AT&T VRS survive? I think not.

AT & T is not selling them. They give a link to D Link where you can buy it.

dkf747 said:
AT & T is not selling them. They give a link to D Link where you can buy it.

Right on... I read too fast. Thank you for correcting me.

Still it is interesting that ATT (huge company) is not giving away a free VP and router.

Maybe have something to do with agreement back in 80's that AT&T are not to attempt to re-monopolize the business. Or they have problem with FCC, and AT&T decided not to take the risk.

It have NOTHING to do with being cheapskate. Don't you know that these companies who gives away free VP gets MONEY from FCC for giving this away! FCC actually reinbrushed them MORE than whats its actually worth! So, nothing to do with being cheapskate, more of political issues.

lovesorenson said:
Right on... I read too fast. Thank you for correcting me.

Still it is interesting that ATT (huge company) is not giving away a free VP and router.

diehardbiker65 said:
Maybe have something to do with agreement back in 80's that AT&T are not to attempt to re-monopolize the business. Or they have problem with FCC, and AT&T decided not to take the risk.

It have NOTHING to do with being cheapskate. Don't you know that these companies who gives away free VP gets MONEY from FCC for giving this away! FCC actually reinbrushed them MORE than whats its actually worth! So, nothing to do with being cheapskate, more of political issues.

Nope. The FCC said they do not reimburse anyone for giving away videophones. That means that either the companies are illegally building in videophones into their cost per minute somehow, which pisses me off, or the money is coming from elsewhere, which is fine because then it's just a marketing strategy to draw users to your service.

When someone gets a videophone, all these companies make more money to give away more free stuff, making them richer at the expense of the government. But then again, there's no incentive for the person to have to use their videophone for VRS -- they could just as well only use the videophone for friend to friend calling.

Last edited:
AT&T stands to make more money since they don't have the expense of providing a free VP. However, fewer Deaf will use their service because of that. It's a trade off.

Back