Sports...

lovezebras

Reaction score
I have trouble hearing at practice. And i have my hearing test/ear appt on the 23rd, and i also may find out if i need hearing aids that day as well. My coach a couple weeks ago was joking around about my hearing n i asked him if i would still be allowed on the team if i needed hearing aids, he said hed think about it (joking arond) but then he asked if it would show?and i said i didnt know....i know for most of it he was joking around, but i know he hates people wearing glasses so i dunno if he'd like me wearing hearing aids..but hewould have to let me, right? Btw i do competative cheerleading so i do alot of tumbling (floor gymnastics) and stunts (throwing the ppl in the air, and lots of moving around, so would it even be a good idea to wear the hearing aids (if i get them). Really hot in gym too, gets yucky and and we all get sweaty..i kno gross..sorry!

lilitalia89 said:
I have trouble hearing at practice. And i have my hearing test/ear appt on the 23rd, and i also may find out if i need hearing aids that day as well. My coach a couple weeks ago was joking around about my hearing n i asked him if i would still be allowed on the team if i needed hearing aids, he said hed think about it (joking arond) but then he asked if it would show?and i said i didnt know....i know for most of it he was joking around, but i know he hates people wearing glasses so i dunno if he'd like me wearing hearing aids..but hewould have to let me, right? Btw i do competative cheerleading so i do alot of tumbling (floor gymnastics) and stunts (throwing the ppl in the air, and lots of moving around, so would it even be a good idea to wear the hearing aids (if i get them). Really hot in gym too, gets yucky and and we all get sweaty..i kno gross..sorry!

If this is a hs team there is no way he could keep you off because of a disabilty if you meet the requirements.

In hs I played bb, and was a cheerleader, ran in track, never did volley ball since I really sucked at it. LOL This was way back in the 70's when they just started girls sports, so the cheerleading wasn't the competitive stuff they do now. But it did include cartwheels and some easy lifts. I chose not to wear hearing aides in any of them. I did play city league softball years later and did wear them then.

I'd say just wait and see what type of HA's your audiolgist suggests for your type of hearing loss, if you're just mild/moderate you could probably get some type of in the ear aides that would work out great in the tumbling parts of your sport. (I hope your parents don't get 'sticker' shock when they learn how much the things cost. :)) good luck to your squad. :)

lilitalia89 said:
\ Really hot in gym too, gets yucky and and we all get sweaty..i kno gross..sorry!

Oh I should say that if you choose to wear them doing things that would cause them to pick up moisture, you should probably also purchase a dry and store. I got one about 5 or 6 yrs ago through some online company and really like it. They are much more effective then the disicant (?) jars filled with little beads. I gave the one drynstore I got with my CI to my daughter. The drynstore actually will extend the life of your HA's, helps cut down on corrosion caused by the moisture.

lilitalia89 said:

Actually in High School - I wore HA and I played soccer, football, baseball, and I was a cheerleader as well. I did alot of tumbling, stunts, flips and more. My cheerleading squad finished 1st in state and 2nd in the nation. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seriously you should be good to go.

You can get CI, because Freedom is sweat proof. :)

TrippLA said:

I dont think he/she qualifies because if he/she can hear a bit right now they aren't going to implant. So this is null and void. :)

But hearing aids are getting better from my understanding..

TrippLA said:

Up to a certain point that is true. If you sweat enough, it can overwhelm the Freedom...been there done that.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm pretty sure if i do get the aids ill want the bte's just cause i can use fm in school and when i go to university (bigger classes=Overwhelming!) in a year...im really nervous to go to university, especially because i'm hoh. Thanks for all the good advice so far. Oo and Definitely would not qualify for CI just because i have only a mild-moderate loss. Plus, im a huge chicken and be too scared cuz of the surgery...lol.. :)

Countdowns
Ear Appt/hearing aids maybe?=11 days
Last Day of School=4 days
Last day including exams=10
WOOHOO THEN SUMMER BREAK:)

lilitalia89 said:
Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm pretty sure if i do get the aids ill want the bte's just cause i can use fm in school and when i go to university (bigger classes=Overwhelming!) in a year...im really nervous to go to university, especially because i'm hoh. Thanks for all the good advice so far. Oo and Definitely would not qualify for CI just because i have only a mild-moderate loss. Plus, im a huge chicken and be too scared cuz of the surgery...lol.. :)

Countdowns

You wouldn't qualify for the CI if you have that much hearing.. CI is only option for those who have lost almost all their hearing. I was like you when I was in High School - I had about 50-60 db loss.. So - you're in the same boat you will do fine.

lilitalia89 said:

Countdowns

Have you looked into the different kinds of accomodations you can request from your University to assist you with your hearing loss? If you get HA's and use an FM system in college, it could still possibly be overwhelming and hard for you to follow because of the big class sizes, people talking at once, etc...

There is something called CART that many HOH people find very helpful in University classes-- especially if they don't know sign language and don't like traditional note-taker services... CART is Captioning in Real Time, which a qualified captioner person will "translate" your professor's lectures live, in real-time for you onto a laptop.

Be sure to ask about it before you go into University-- it can make a HUGE difference.. all of my HOH friends who attended college years ago (in our time when dinosaurs walked the earth) say how much they WISH they had had CART.

:cheers:

Thanks guys i will def ask bout that when applying for universities or colleges next year.

Today was a shit practice...my coach made me cry. He was supposedly joking around but he was like u have to play the game, which i had already screwed up once..game called 3, 6, 9. Anyways i couldnt her wat neone was saying so i got really frusterated nm just didnt play cuz i made everyone have to start over. Which was fine by my main coach cuz he knows..well one of my other coaches was like stop pouting and go play..i was like i cant, cuz i cant hear anything..he was liek it's team bonding, go play. So he pushed and pushed and i got to the point i was gettin mad cuz hearing people most of the time dont understand the frusteration! AND THEN my friend called my Helen Keller n started laughin..n then was like im just kidding...the tears welled up in my eyes..n i went to the bathroom and balled...my coach said he was sorry later n so did my friend..but i thought that was really discouraging and not too considerate....

Back