Spongebob Squarepants Sucks!

Tokin Texan

Reaction score
If there is any captioning at all for the program it's usually running 5-10 seconds behind...If not for my daughter and that loveable yellow fella I'd say forget it.

Anyone else having this problem?

That's something you will have to discuss with your cable company.

Television shows have multiple layers... video, audio, captioning, advertising, etc.

The first 2 layers are video and audio. Those get through with no problems. If problems do occur during the transmission process, other layers may get scrambled or delayed.

Nowadays, it happens more often due to analog versus digital... and cable versus satellite.

I've had this problem a few times before.

There was one show where the captioning was stuck. During the show, two people started arguing the exact same words over and over. (Something like... "Are not!" "Are too!") After this went on for a minute, the two characters were interrupted by their mom and then other talking takes place. However, the captioning kept going back and forth with those two phrases. This went on for the next five minutes before the commercials stopped it. When the commercials ended and the show continued, the captioning was back to normal.

There was another show where the captioning was not lined up with the talking. Instead of the captioning appearing when the talking occurs, it was the captioning appearing one after another. That means, constant captioning all the way through until the entire talking script was done then it stopped.

For instance...

This is the show:

"Hey, we're about to go into slipstream. Hold on." *everyone holds on* *spaceship enters slipstream* *spaceship exits slipstream* "Okay, we're done." *console beeps* "Oh, look... a distress call from the planet ahead." *everyone looks at viewscreen* *everyone watches video of a battle going on* "We better help them. Tell them we're on our way."

This whole thing was 2 minutes long.

Now, the captioning:

"Hey, we're about to go into slipstream. Hold on." "Okay, we're done." "Oh, look... a distress call from the planet ahead." "We better help them. Tell them we're on our way."

This captioning thing lasted 10 seconds long.

There was no waiting during the action sequences. It was just one captioning after another. If you were to read the captioning, you would have read out the entire talking segment of the television show in 20 minutes.

If there is any captioning at all for the program it's usually running 5-10 seconds behind...If not for my daughter and that loveable yellow fella I'd say forget it.

Anyone else having this problem?

I have that problem too but just buy the DVDs and you will be fine

Well of COURSE he sucks..........He's a SPONGE.....That's what sponges DO! ;)

It's interesting that you said that. About a month ago, I emailed someone at the Captioning center and she forwarded my email to someone at Nick, and a few days later, the captioning corrected itself.

I haven't had a problem since.

Here's the email address to Mary Pressman at the Captioning Institute. Please tell her to forward the email to Chris Heaton at Nickelodeon, and he will take care of it. I don't have Chris's email address.

MPresswood@ncicap.org

The other channels are fine, so it has to do something with Nickelodeon.

Good luck!

I sent an email at the address, so we'll see what happens. Funny thing is it's only that program. Other channels and programs on Nick have been fine, but SBSP is consistently off. Wonder why that is?

I don't watch Spongebob Squarepants, because it show a little bit too much violance. I can understand it's a funny show. But I would rather my daughter watch "sprout" show that is very educational and fun for my daughter and she loved it. She doe love to watch the "Wiggles" too. :)

I don't watch Spongebob Squarepants, because it show a little bit too much violance. I can understand it's a funny show. But I would rather my daughter watch "sprout" show that is very educational and fun for my daughter and she loved it. She doe love to watch the "Wiggles" too. :)

LOL! I wondered the same thing when I first saw it. I was like, "What's with the hype about Spongebob Squarepants?" So I watched it for myself, and thought it was pretty funny. I agree that it's slightly too much, and have some vulgar language for very young kids. That's why many adults love to watch this show. Look at the Simpsons...they do violence on that show...I HATE the Icky-Scratchy skits...i'm a feline lover! :)

Good luck to Tokin Texan! :)

On this topic (sort of) has anybody noticed in the last few months, the networks are not captioned on the west coast? I live in central ontario...if I miss a show on at 8PM I watch it at 11PM - but now, the channels are not captioned on the BC channels at all using Bell Expressvu.

Recent examples (Fox, Sunday) The Simpsons, King of Hill and Family guy, were captioned at 8 - but I didn't watch them until 11, and they were NOT captioned.

LOST ABC last thursday, I set recorder to tape it at 9.... thank god, but when I turned to it at midnight to see the first 5 mins - no captioning.

Same with Prison break on FOX previous week (I have been watching at 8 then watching at 11, to see if there was a pattern)

Las Vegas on Fridays (my fav show) no captions at 1AM.... but captioned ok at 10PM.

if I put it on a premium movie channel, all channels are captioned, all the time..

Who would I email with regards to all the networks not being captioned during second broadcast?

Sorry to hijack thread - it seems it belongs in here...

On this topic (sort of) has anybody noticed in the last few months, the networks are not captioned on the west coast? I live in central ontario...if I miss a show on at 8PM I watch it at 11PM - but now, the channels are not captioned on the BC channels at all using Bell Expressvu.

Recent examples (Fox, Sunday) The Simpsons, King of Hill and Family guy, were captioned at 8 - but I didn't watch them until 11, and they were NOT captioned.

LOST ABC last thursday, I set recorder to tape it at 9.... thank god, but when I turned to it at midnight to see the first 5 mins - no captioning.

Same with Prison break on FOX previous week (I have been watching at 8 then watching at 11, to see if there was a pattern)

Las Vegas on Fridays (my fav show) no captions at 1AM.... but captioned ok at 10PM.

if I put it on a premium movie channel, all channels are captioned, all the time..

Who would I email with regards to all the networks not being captioned during second broadcast?

Sorry to hijack thread - it seems it belongs in here...

Seeing that you're not in the US, I suggest you to contact Canada's Captioning Institute. It may be that the network turned them off (for Canada). I have no idea. But that's what I did when there was a few weeks of Nickelodeon shows CC are being screwed up.

Awww my younger son loves Sponge bob the Squarepants. I haven't seen it without caption not in my knowledge. :)

Beam me a stronger signal, Scotty!

Spongebob Squarepants comes on just fine. No, I don't watch Spongebob . . . (shoving my two Spongebob t-shirts out of sight).

When the captioning is slow and/or nonexistent, it might have to do with the signal strength. Throughout a 24-hour period, if you are a volume user, you will note that the volume goes up and down (dependent on strength of signal and those recieving the signal). During the day and early evening, turn it up. During the late evening and wee hours of the morning, turn it down.

It'd be best to contact your cable provider and give them a chance to rectify the situation. I'm not saying one call will do it but a considerable amount of patience and persistence should do the trick.

I have that problem too but just buy the DVDs and you will be fine

Yes, you're correct. I am very highly recommend Netflix for renting DVD for Tokin Texan. :) Plus, DVD will not have a stupid commericals even those commercials that doesn't have captioning that is very stupid, not understandable what they are saying.

My daughter started out with the Sprout channel and moved on to the Wiggles...but as you'll see when they get older, their taste in programming changes.
Honestly, I've seen about every SBSP episode enough times to know what's up, but it would be nice for the CC's to get synched.

DVD's are a good idea...would be nice to have one is the mail without a brown-paper wrapping...

Hmmm.. then you probably never watched Bugs Bunny, or the Roadrunner or Foghorn Leghorn or the Flinstones or Daffy Duck. All very violent cartoons when you think about it.

I love spongebob squarepants.. soooo FUNNY!!! its so stupid but its my laugh medicine! It's even TJ's fav show as well.. :D

its my fav character... it remind me of yellow smiley face.. go figures! hehe!

anyway back on topic..i dont have any plms with CC on the shows.. they r fine here! no plms! knocking on wood.. :D

Back