Spider-Man 3 Villain Locked

Vance

Reaction score
Sam Raimi has been promoting the DVD release of his Ghost House Pictures’ The Grudge this past week, so of course while talking with him Now Playing snuck in a few Spider-Man questions as soon as the webslinging director let his guard down. And while Raimi’s spider-sense was tingling – keeping him from revealing too many details about the next Spidey film – he did confirm for us that a villain for Spider-Man 3 has been settled on.

“Alvin Sargent is writing the screenplay right now,” Raimi says. “I’m not supposed to [talk about the villain]. When Sony Pictures decides to release the villain they do it in conjunction with Marvel Comic books. Avi Arad is the president there and my producer, and they’re really the ones that decide how they’re going to present this to the fans of the comic and they love doing it with a lot of drama and a big splash. So they consult with me, but it’s really something… they really want to please the fans and do it in a very particular way.”

Raimi comes across as a nice enough guy, so it’s easy to let such doubletalk pass, but a bit more persuasion from Now Playing’s editors did get the filmmaker to discuss how he decided on the villain for the next film – whoever that villain may be.

“What I did was, when I worked on the story with my brother Ivan, I determined what journey I felt was most important for Peter Parker to take,” he says. “He’s a young man so this is a coming of age story and he’s on a journey to becoming a more responsible adult – in each of the movies. And I tried to determine with my brother which human faults would be displayed in this particular story that Peter Parker would have to exhibit, and then recognize that he had that fault, and then try to grow and develop as a human being as somebody who could overcome that fault. So once [we] determined Peter Parker’s journey, we tried to determine a villain that best presented some aspect of that fault so that he could literally stand in the way of the growth of Peter Parker.”

A lot of fans have high hopes that the villain in Spidey 3 will be Venom, a more modern foe for the wallcrawler than the first two films’ Green Goblin and Doc Ock. Of course, Raimi isn’t saying whether we’ll see the symbiote-suited Venom in the next film or not, but he does explain that the choice of villains also comes down to a balance between character and the cool visual aspect that modern special effects allow (and that would surely make for an amazing Venom, by the way).

“Absolutely we wanted to have a villain not only who would fulfill the character needs but somebody who could entertain the audience on a visceral level and provide great visuals, something we haven’t seen before, and create a real challenge and great foe for Spider-Man and his unique spidery, spider-like powers,” says Raimi.

Spider-Man 3 is currently targeted for a May 2007 release.

Source: http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/772/2/

grrr. I hope that it will be Venom.. If not then The Lizard. As many comic fans said, it will be slightly boring if Raimi decided to use hobogoblin as villian in Spider-man 3 movie.

Yeah I hope it will be Venom, then it would be something to look forward to. I was either hoping that if Sam Raimi will do Venom, Spiderman 4 will have Carnage. If not Venom, they might do the Sinister Six. Maybe it will be after The Lizard, Sandman, Hydroman, Electro and Mysterio make their debut on the silver screen. It will also be cool to see Rhino (I forgot his name from the comic book), Kraven and maybe... Thanos! But I'm not sure if it's going to be for Silver Surfer because I think that's where his origin is, in Silver Surfer? Maybe there should be some allies like Silver Surfer (to help Spidey fight Thanos), The X-men, Black Cat (even though at times she would go against him but there are times when she helped him), Silver Sable, FF and some more I can't recall from memory lol.

Since you know the stuff about Spider-man comics then it will be bit more easier for me to discuss with AD'ers like you. I am a hardcore Spider-man fan as well, I collected a complete set of Amazing Spider-man and Web of Spider-Man. I have only 100 issues on Spectacular Spider-Man, all of Ultimate Spider-man and some cool novels like Spider-man vs Wolverine and Cosmic Spider-man.

So far I know, Sinister Six always have Dr. Oct to 'lead' them but he got killed in Spider-man 2. So I am not sure if it is possible to have Sinister Six but we'll never know...

I can be honest with you, I always found Carnage dull and boring to be a villian in Spider-man. I hope that Raimi will never use him as villian in any Spider-man series but as for Venom, he is damn cool. Thanos is my favorite villan. He is way too powerful for Spider-man to handle but you are right about Silver Surfer, it takes Silver Surfer to be able to stand up and fight against Thanos.

I am so glad that they eliminsted Kraven off from the Spider-man series (beside Ultimate Spider-man, that is). He is damn weak to be a Spider-man's villian but his son is considering powerful though. Other than that you suggested does sound good. Black Cat? Oooo, it will be 'drooling' moments for men to watch. LoL.

I would love to have Raimi to make a movie based on Spider-man #1-5 by Todd Mcfarlane. Lizard vs Spider-man, that comic is wicked and popular. Or.. it will be cool if he can make a movie, Wolverine vs Spiderman.

I think it will be the Lizard. The Lizard's real name is Doctor Curtis Conners. He was in Spider-Man 2. It's obviously a hint of the next upcoming movie. Also, according to the Spiderman timeline... the Lizard is after Doctor Octopus. However, after Doctor Octopus and before the Lizard is the Sandman. But then again, things could be different since the Green Goblin was supposed to come after Doctor Octopus. I would pretty much say that we should focus on the hints in the movie and that would be... the Lizard and Doctor Curtis Conners. ;)

of course everyone wants Venom to make an appearance in the next spidey film, but in order to make Venom come to life, all of you are forgetting one villain that should come before Venom...

Sin Eater.

you would know about this if you read through spider-man #300 when Venom made his first appearance in the comics.
Eddie Brock, an editior for the newspaper was writing stuff about the Sin Eater, saying that something about someone who was actually the sin eater, but later on Spider-man caught the REAL sin eater and everyone found out who was actually the sin eater so Eddie Brock got fired due to false statements about the sin eater's idenity...so thats actually when he would seek revenge against spider-man for risking his life, his career, even his future! so if you all want Venom, we have to see the Sin Eater in action first. of course if you dont know who's the Sin Eater is...he's a serial killer who goes out on a killing spree murdering everyone who commited a "sin" as he is actually a hardcore reglionous freak who spent too much time on his bible, thinking that killing people who commited sins would make the world a better place...he's actually more insane than Venom is anyway.

the Sin Eater returned in the Venom comics from 1994 to 1995, so if any of you have that series, the story was ABLSOULTE! I definetly loved the action and stunts of Venom versus the Sin Eater...the Sin Eater is kinda like the "evil" punisher who carries tons of deadly weapons with him...shotguns, grenades, and even a rocket launcher! He used to be a soilder during the gulf war so I guess that's how he got so many weapons with him...sure is an insane freak, if you ask me.

Steel, you have a good point but in Spider-man 2, Dr Oct, that's not how he became Dr Oct when compared to comics. So I think it is ok for Raimi to use Venom without Sin-Eater plot.

Green Goblin also didn't come first, Vulture is a Spider-man's first villian. I feel that Raimi already swapped the plots and villians around in his 'cap' :lol:

btw, Venom was created in #298, not #300 but Spider-man met him in #300 though. Anyway Sin-Eater arc is quite cool to read, it is a-must arc for Spider-man fans to read.

Actually, if you look at the history of Venom and Spiderman... you'll see that Spiderman got the alien symbiote suit on his body first for years. After realizing what it was, he tries to take it off... with the help of the Fantastic Four. Later, part of that symbiote is released and merged with Eddie Brock... who later becomes Venom. Since we haven't seen Spiderman with the symbiote suit yet, it will be a while before they can introduce Venom properly. Maybe, they will do the suit thing when the Fantastic Four becomes popular... and they cross paths. ;)

VamPyroX said:
Actually, if you look at the history of Venom and Spiderman... you'll see that Spiderman got the alien symbiote suit on his body first for years. After realizing what it was, he tries to take it off... with the help of the Fantastic Four. Later, part of that symbiote is released and merged with Eddie Brock... who later becomes Venom. Since we haven't seen Spiderman with the symbiote suit yet, it will be a while before they can introduce Venom properly. Maybe, they will do the suit thing when the Fantastic Four becomes popular... and they cross paths. ;)

That's true, I think it was in Spectular Spider man #189 when Spiderman encountered the symbiote from outer space and it took over his body, and time goes by, it tried to take over his brain and he resisted it and he had to ask the FF for help. After getting it off, it lurked the streets looking for people who have a vendetta against Peter Parker and found Eddie Brock and compromised on a deal and took over Eddie's poor body.

Well as for the storyline, I have to admit I kind of forgot how it goes because it has been a while and I forgot which issue I picked when I started Amazing Spiderman. However I do have #298 to umm maybe 355 or so, including the Sinister Six. Forgive me if I got my facts wrong :D

Even though I do have the comic books, I'm pretty sure you guys have a better knowledge on the friendly, web-slinging Spiderman! I left my whole comic book collection in Chicago at my father's apartment so I can't exactly go to my collection and look them up.

edit: I am mistaken, it wasn't #189 where the symbiote made its first appearance, now I do not know which series/issue it made its appearance... Anyone know?

PyrollisAhFiros said:
That's true, I think it was in Spectular Spider man #189 when Spiderman encountered the symbiote from outer space and it took over his body, and time goes by, it tried to take over his brain and he resisted it and he had to ask the FF for help. After getting it off, it lurked the streets looking for people who have a vendetta against Peter Parker and found Eddie Brock and compromised on a deal and took over Eddie's poor body.

Well as for the storyline, I have to admit I kind of forgot how it goes because it has been a while and I forgot which issue I picked when I started Amazing Spiderman. However I do have #298 to umm maybe 355 or so, including the Sinister Six. Forgive me if I got my facts wrong :D
You got some facts right so far according to my memory as well lol. More explanation below.

PyrollisAhFiros said:
Even though I do have the comic books, I'm pretty sure you guys have a better knowledge on the friendly, web-slinging Spiderman! I left my whole comic book collection in Chicago at my father's apartment so I can't exactly go to my collection and look them up.

edit: I am mistaken, it wasn't #189 where the symbiote made its first appearance, now I do not know which series/issue it made its appearance... Anyone know?
Ditto. My collection is stashed at my friend's place in different state as well.

About symbiote, first appearance: Secret Wars #8. There is some kind of war that Spider-man got involved and his ol' red and blue costume kinda ruined by battles, he found the black costume, symbiote on different planet and took it along with him. He don't know that it is 'living' symbiote and wore it for a while until he started to suspect about his black costume which consumes his energy on a nightly basis. When he found out that it is living thru FF's lab tests and wanted to reject it. That's where your explanation comes in. Here's good but short background:

It all started with a simple mistake. While participating in the first Secret Wars, Spider-Man really trashed his costume. He came across two other heroes who earlier had similar problems and told him there was a wondrous machine capable of making any article of clothing you can think of. Unfortunately for poor Spidey, they neglected to tell him where to find it. Spider-Man did find a device that he thought looked like "it wants to make a costume". It produced a small, black ball that initially set off his spider-sense as he picked it up. The ball oozed over the confused hero and became a black costume. Spider-Man wore the costume for a few months, enjoying the fact that it produced its own webbing and could change to mimic his civilian clothes.

This all came to an end when Spider-Man discovered his nifty new threads were actually an alien symbiote trying to bond to him permanently.
Source: Spiderfan.org

There has been alot of rumors spreading around lately that Sam Raimi is already planning to make the most popular villian, Venom to appear in the final chapter of the web head's action packed adventure which should come into theatres summer 2007.

That'd be great if Venom was included. I'm keen on seeing Electro and Lizard as well, I hope those two are included. They might as they appeared in the animated Spider-Man series.

There has been reports that the actor named Church will play as the new villain in the final brawler of spider-man's adventures, but they haven't said what villain that Church would play as...so many people has been raising their voices with high hopes saying, "it's Venom! he's gonna play as Venom!!!" but did Sam Ramibi say anything about Venom lately? No. He've said some things about the next Green Goblin and the Lizard but didn't say that he would use them in the 3rd installment yet. Right now, Ramibi is choosing a brand new villain that he hopes would fit pretty well in style for the final spidey movie.

Tobey, as Peter Parker/Spider-man said in earlier reports after Spider-man 2 was released that he don't know about playing his role again in the 3rd and final installment since he has back problems, but now he said he's planning to give the 3rd movie a try. As with Kristen Dunst, as Mary Jane, said she has no doubt that she will do the 3rd movie as well. The same crew who did the first two spidey flicks will unite for the 3rd and final action packed twisted adventure of our mild manner young Peter Parker with a secret side of being New York's crime fighter, the amazing Spider-man!

Spidey gets to face another brand new villain that we yet don't know who it will be. ;)

But if it's going to be Church playing as Venom, then I gotta say that I think he would need alittle work out because Eddie Brock/Venom is MUCH bigger and stronger than actor Church looks...lol

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000847397

OMG! Thanks for new informations. I thought you are a reporter. You should join a new job for reporter. :)

My brother told me that church proably would play as the new villain called "Sin Man"...can't say I've heard of such an villain, but I'm guessing he meant "Sin Eater" but he said it's actually "Sin Man" so I dunno.

Now the rumours are brewing up and there may be two villains in the movie...

Sandman and Hobogoblin. Not official yet though.

Back