Speech Regression?

Sabiya

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm fatigue more often, stressed or it's all in my head... but for HoH and other deafies that went through Speech Therapy, do you find that after so many years without it, you start slowly regressing?

I can still communicate effectively, but in the past 2 years I have noticed some changes. Unless I FORCE myself to take it slow (REALLY slow in a native New Yorker's eyes... seriously, us NYers are used to speaking fast :giggle:), and plan out my answers before hand (like a script) I speak clearly.

But if you were to ask me a random question on the spot, that's when you'll notice that I stutter. At first it was innocent, then it got progressively worse. There are some days where someone says something to me, and I hear it.... it makes logical sense, but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around it and I give them the confused look. Classic scenario was years back (this wasn't that common then), I had a fever at work but still managed to do the job.

An old man came into my station and bought something. I gave him change, he told me to "keep the change". I heard him, I understood those words, but my brain wouldn't put two and two together. He must've repeated "keep the change" to me like 8 times before finally yelling at me, screaming obscenities, and calling me a retard, saying I have no business working there because I'm stupid (in front of his grandson no less!).

It wasn't until after he left, I noticed that there was a change jar next to the register for a charity. I thought to myself, "well why didn't he just put the change in there?". I went through the rest of the days with no problems. Back then it was a really rare thing so I ignored it and just chalked it up to having a brain fart. But nowadays it's getting more common, where people would say something to me and it wouldn't connect in my head until I ask them to substitute some words or spin it another way.

Then there's the disconnect with my communication. I go into minute detail on paper, and am good at conveying my thoughts. But in person, I'm having a hard time communicating my thoughts, I cut myself off, substitute words, or expect someone to understand my half-finished sentences. It's a lot like playing verbal charades! :shock:

I've read online that HoH people that took speech therapy before, eventually have to take it again because then they fall back to their "old habits". I haven't taken Speech Therapy in 15 years, I'm starting to wonder if this is the "old habits" they were talking about?

Is there such a thing as Speech Regression? Do HoH/Deaf/deafies that had Speech Therapy have to take it regularly, or is it in all in my head?

hmm interesting...

Growing up I did take speech therapy but I've never felt that I had to go back for a 'refresher' as it were. I have noticed over the years that verbally I have trouble articulating what I want to say- but I think I've always had this issue-I just do better with written (and sign when I started signing in college). The pronunciation of some words... especially blends (th, sh, etc) seems to be going a bit and that might be related to my hearing getting worse (though I think that has leveled off.. for now).

Varies from person to person I suspect... Most HOH people I know has never gone back to speech therapy- that I know of anyway. I think some may start it up again if they switch from hearing aids to the CI- can't say for sure though.

You aren't alone. However, I'm deaf myself. I had been in speech ever since I was into a school so young - around 2 at the most. I had to go to speech twice a day and it drove me crazy. At most point, you are correct, we NYers tend to speak fast because no one wants time to be wasted! (lol, if you have seen the way they drive, you'll know how they will speak most of the times, not always). Anywhoo, I tend to stutters only if a word that is rarely used or unheard of for me. I think what it is that we rush ourselves too much these days, we need to slow down and speak. I would inform others to let me think a minute and they accept it. Once I have my thoughts gathered or clearer thoughts, I'm able to communicate more fluently.

From my experiences, people are usually in a hurry and don't have a lot of patience. The best thing we could do is clear our mind and refresh ourselves. I would not worry over it too much since we are at a physical disability that others don't have at our own level and experiences. They hadn't or haven't been through what we went through. You know what you are capable of it and stick with it.

If anything, I don't ever want to step back to speech therapy. I give myself a few rules when socializing - which also helps for public speaking.
1) Hold chin up - which allows speaking to be much clear and sound travel well enough.
2) Take your time - if you rush, you will continue the same mistake and make it worse
3) Breathe, physically and mentally - you will be able to calm yourself and relax your ability to speak with others
4) Remember you are human - you are human and humans make mistake, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.
5) Think before you act (or in this case, speak) - thinking helps to handle situation better and make it easier for everyone, including yourself.

I'm not sure if my rules - or structures- would help, but thought to mention otherwise.

With the pronunciation of sounds you struggle with, I would suggest making a habit of practicing the sounds every day. That will help you remember what you were taught to do and it will help with muscle memory of where your tongue needs to be, mouth shape, and even how much air to put out. You can just read out loud what you're reading online, or read a book. You don't have to come up with something to say. You could even read the back of a cereal box.

I have never been able to just speak once I started speech therapy. Always one step ahead of what I say I need to think where to do the three things that I mentioned. I find it very tiring, because it takes up so much mental energy to always think about the physical aspect of my speech on top of trying to understand what is said along with contributing to the conversation. However, I'd rather be tired and make sure my speech is clear to those I'm trying to communicate with.

Thanks for the advice, glad to know that I'm not the only one. I was getting increasingly worried that I may just be going crazy! :)

Back