Speech on deafness

nowits_done

Reaction score
Hello all!

I participate in my high school speech team and after an experience with my deaf friend Amanda, I've decided to do my speech this year on deafness.

The problem is that my event requires that I use humor while maintaining a realistic simulation of a speech given to a real group.

Here is wherein the problem lies, I can't just say, "I'm here to inform you, the hearing people, about deafness"

Because realistically that's not a group I could target.

Think about when you are/were in school, who would you want to be more informed on deafness and deaf culture?

I could really use your help to make this an amazing speech and hopefully inform many, many people!

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying you need help thinking of a group of people who need to learn more about deafness? Because here are a few that leap to mind:

Police officers
Firefighters
Doctors
Dentists
Elementary school teachers
High school teachers
College teachers
Retail workers
Lawyers
Hospital workers
Mental health professionals
Social workers

And I mean the list goes on for just about forever...

I suppose that the choosing of a target audience would completely alter the aim of your speech; so for instance if you said, "I'm here to inform you, the fire fighters, about deafness!" then the thesis of your speech would be focused on deaf awareness in relation to .. fires, basically.

Think about when you are/were in school, who would you want to be more informed on deafness and deaf culture?

All hearing people! My peers, I suppose. But most of all, the administration and teachers. And that probably doesn't help you at all... errmmm... best of luck on your speech, anyway!

Back