Speech in the Deaf Community

Is that all you think about is stupid speech in the Deaf community? You are way off from another planet. :roll:

well people decision on choice speech choice own oral! late of deafness/hoh also!

Some members of the "Deaf community" actually speak. It seems to revolve around whether a Cochlear Implant is worn by the DEAF/Deaf person. Also whether "some members" voluntarily decide to become "voice off".

It is complicated by when does one become DEAF. Difference: being born with the condition VS being older say 50.

Aside: Having" learnt speech" as "young child" one continues to speak during their life. Thus if one becomes DEAF at any age AFTER- you can still speak. Whether one "wants to" your CHOICE. Speaking is voluntary.

Much success in your project Anna
Yes, some deaf people prefer to use speech but the class for which she's writing is an ASL course.

Not to mention, she simply plunges in with requests without a proper introduction.

This appears to be another "hit and run" poster, which does not generate warm fuzzies with ADers.

In my experience, use of speech is generally up to each individual. I'm in the Deaf Dorm at my school, and my roommate (who became Deaf at 17) uses speech mostly when she's talking to hearing people. Sometimes she goes voice-off with people who know sign, but it also depends on how tired she is. Another girl I'm friends with (born Deaf) took speech therapy for a few years, but quit, and is totally voice-off now. Still others only use voice every once in a while.

I can't give a more specific answer since a) I'm not Deaf, and b) I don't know exactly what you need.

Good luck.

Speech is a useful skill....but with hearing people. It should NOT be a child's only tool. Kids should not be in an eternal speech therapy session.

Anna: does the above comments "suggest" how "labeling" is "important"?

Excursions-Sociology-"culture".

Worth a discussion in your ASL paper?

My ASL teacher is Deaf, and an ASL teacher I had last year was not deaf. They do not focus just on the language, they do teach respect for the Deaf community. I love learning ASL and I even have a Deaf friend. I respect them, and I personally believe a Deaf person's language is sign language. I do not think they should have to speak unless they want to.

I'm interested in this topic, but rather in the use of vocalization in some signs
and not particularly in the use of English speech with deaf people.

For deaf with hearing children, I heard they do vocalize with their kids, but is it speech that the parents have learned from school (methods used on oral deaf?) or is it mouth shapes combined with exhale learned from other deaf? Are the signs incorrect or harder to decipher without the accompanying mouth shape & exhale?

For example, I saw on an episode of the coda brothers show that their mother would tell them "hey, cut that out!" by signing FINISH combined with verbalization "FSH". I've also heard "pah" "cha" in other signer's videos while they were signing.

:) of course, maybe I am just interested in these things because I am a hearing person, therefore I automatically "rely" on sound queues for meaning even if I know it has no meaning.

So, do deaf cats meow? If deaf cats do not meow then I don't think it is fair to make deaf person use voice. If deaf cats do meow, then it would be good for us deaf people to try to use some voice.

Some do, some don't :) Just like some Deaf people have fewer problems with speech than others.
Here's a video of one:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXicVhRPME]Deaf cat meows for food - YouTube[/ame]

I'm interested in this topic, but rather in the use of vocalization in some signs
and not particularly in the use of English speech with deaf people.

For deaf with hearing children, I heard they do vocalize with their kids, but is it speech that the parents have learned from school (methods used on oral deaf?) or is it mouth shapes combined with exhale learned from other deaf? Are the signs incorrect or harder to decipher without the accompanying mouth shape & exhale?

For example, I saw on an episode of the coda brothers show that their mother would tell them "hey, cut that out!" by signing FINISH combined with verbalization "FSH". I've also heard "pah" "cha" in other signer's videos while they were signing.

:) of course, maybe I am just interested in these things because I am a hearing person, therefore I automatically "rely" on sound queues for meaning even if I know it has no meaning.
There are some signs I learned [e.g. those denoting size] that involve sounds, not for hearing, but for the NMS, I guess?

"Cha" is used in communicating "big" or "large," so your mouth would follow a shape that a signer would recognize. For small, your mouth would form the shape for "oo," but you wouldn't vocalize that sound.

I can't really explain why some signs have vocalizations where others do not, I can just tell you that they do xD

So, do deaf cats meow? If deaf cats do not meow then I don't think it is fair to make deaf person use voice. If deaf cats do meow, then it would be good for us deaf people to try to use some voice.

Here's a video of a deaf cat meowing :D
Some deaf cats do, some don't. To be fair, though, English is a much more complicated language than kitty cat meows!

To be fair, though, English is a much more complicated language than kitty cat meows!

Go to allcats.com and say that, and see if they like you denigrating their language!

This cat already heard you:
16.jpg

:D

My ASL teacher is Deaf, and an ASL teacher I had last year was not deaf. They do not focus just on the language, they do teach respect for the Deaf community. I love learning ASL and I even have a Deaf friend. I respect them, and I personally believe a Deaf person's language is sign language. I do not think they should have to speak unless they want to.

When you say you "I even have a Deaf friend." it sounds like you're trying to impress us. I hope that is not what you mean.

funny sleepy kitten cutes :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCdZtsiOWvo]baby cat sleeping on table - YouTube[/ame]

Back