Speech/Accent in HOH Late Deafened/born deaf

yeah... though i've never claimed to have "effortless" use of spoken english... its always been really hard for me... i didn't say my first word until i was 3... i would just point at things that i wanted or were wrong... i was in speech therapy from the time i was 2 1/2 until i was 16, when i told i parents i was never going back. speaking has always been harder for me... and people understanding me... thats even been worse... something my parents and sisters don't understand is why ASL is easier for me to communicate in than speech, even though i'm not close to fluent in ASL. And i'm just starting to be involved in the Deaf Culture, which is an amazing eye opener, and I'm feeling more at home in the Deaf culture than I ever did in the hearing world... I'm just finding my way home i guess :D

Few deaf do. I was referring to a discussion that went on last week. We had a deaf audist claiming that "effortless" use of English was necessary for someone to be fluent in English. There was quite a stir over that one!:P

Welcome home. There are many around here that can relate to your journey.

I remember an old friend commenting that my speaking changed during episodes of Meniere's. I guess I had a short-term deaf accent. :giggle:

Few deaf do. I was referring to a discussion that went on last week. We had a deaf audist claiming that "effortless" use of English was necessary for someone to be fluent in English. There was quite a stir over that one!:P

Welcome home. There are many around here that can relate to your journey.

I remember that discussion, guess i can never be fluent in english according them then...

I do have to thank Posts From Hell, he is the one that is helping me get into the deaf community! I'm so happy I found this forum! it also has helped me come home.

Funny thing about it..is that my voice "changes" from time to time....even tho' I can't hear myself talking, I can feel it in my throat. (People have given me some "funny" looks occassionally)....

Also, I can get verrry loud at times. It's hard to tell someone a secret (whispering)....Maybe I was an opera singer in my previous life....(I was a cheerleader in high school, tho').....or worse yet, a drill sargent...as my boys say I sound like one off and on....Inasmuch, I haven't been over-shouted yet....but seriously, I do try to keep my voice in check.

I will never go "voice off"....it's my main method of communication, and I'm marking my 50th anniversary this year of being profound deaf, but, still speaking and lip-reading.

I remember that discussion, guess i can never be fluent in english according them then...

I do have to thank Posts From Hell, he is the one that is helping me get into the deaf community! I'm so happy I found this forum! it also has helped me come home.

Just take his hand and jump right on in!

I have no idea what my accent is like or even if I got one.

I can control how loud my voice is by feeling vibration on my throat. It hard work, always need to focus, if lose focus it can be any volume.

MIL's chiropractor kept trying to talk to me today. He forgot that she told him I was deaf. He got upset that I did not answer him and threw a wadded up paper ball at me. One of the other patients in the waiting room got totally pissed at him and threw it back and said it was uncalled for. Doc then came out and started asking me if I wanted acupuncture to regain my hearing. I stayed silent and used a little ASL and said, "It not work. Ears not work. Nothing works. Go away!!" Other patient understood and said I did well. Doc got mad and left. Seems other patient is a CODA.

I had spoken to the doctor the other day and told him I was deaf and could not hear. I explained the situation about my ears. He now claims, that my speech is so bad he couldn't understand. MIL then got upset and said there was nothing wrong with my speech and he needed to clean his ears, then we left.

MIL's chiropractor kept trying to talk to me today. He forgot that she told him I was deaf. He got upset that I did not answer him and threw a wadded up paper ball at me. One of the other patients in the waiting room got totally pissed at him and threw it back and said it was uncalled for. Doc then came out and started asking me if I wanted acupuncture to regain my hearing. I stayed silent and used a little ASL and said, "It not work. Ears not work. Nothing works. Go away!!" Other patient understood and said I did well. Doc got mad and left. Seems other patient is a CODA.

I had spoken to the doctor the other day and told him I was deaf and could not hear. I explained the situation about my ears. He now claims, that my speech is so bad he couldn't understand. MIL then got upset and said there was nothing wrong with my speech and he needed to clean his ears, then we left.

WTH! The dr. threw a wadded-up paper ball at you ?? :shock: And now he's mad? Patootie on him.

:shock:....ur in West Palm Beach for God's sake....not some hillbilly county!...This doctor sounds really stupid and probably a quack!

What was he smoking....or drinking?...This is one weird post!...I would have stuck a needle up his arse and ask him if he could fart now?....Seriously, Kristina.....this would make me tremendously angry...and I would report it.

Back