Speech: A blessing or a curse?

I think reading about, studying or ideally really knowing more than one language can be helpful to gain new perspectives.

Since I was late-deafened in my early teens, my speech was still intact. As the years have rolled by, I have the deaf accent, I do sound "different". But have never had the desire to "voice off".
Whether if it's a blessing or a curse, I don't look at it that way. I just feel lucky to be able to speak/lip read and be understood, and know ASL also.

If I had stopped "speaking" I would have forgotten how. And one of my doctors told me years ago, that sooner or later, no one would be able to understand me when I used my voice, (since I was profound deaf) and it was "such a tragedy!"....Well, I proved that doctor wrong, and I never saw him again.

That makes sense, and if it involves lots of gesturing and acting things out then it's probably much closer to true ASL than you realize!

..Hmmm..yes, I can see how this is true. I am practicing how to think in ASL..everyday my signing show slight improvement

Speech was hard for me to learn since I was born deaf and never got to learn what it really sounds like to talk with spoken language. I had to "guess" what the sounds in a word makes, but over time with self teaching, socializing in school, and speech therapy, I gotten to speak really well to the point where others would understand what I'm saying and me understanding them. It's a blessing. A path that was great for me to take. I now can look at Sign language and can always learn it. Enrichen yourself... you never know if you need it. I'm for lack of words here. :P

I'd say more, but night. :)

Very ironic! I think going 'voice off,' after accommodating hearies for so many years, reinforces the 'disability.' Makes it a reality that may have been ignored.

Going 'voice off' might equate with 'now you aren't like us.' Emphasizes the difference instead of the similarity.

It also might equate with Deaf being less than a hearie so to go 'voice off' means the person is now, somehow, less whereas before, as a speaking Deaf person, there was a sense of equality.

I understand from what angle you are coming from, but this is where we need to educate family members, the public etc - that whether a Deaf person decides to use speech or go voice off, it should not make any difference, we are still equal human beings and it is just plain wrong for them to think otherwise.

Speech was hard for me to learn since I was born deaf and never got to learn what it really sounds like to talk with spoken language. I had to "guess" what the sounds in a word makes, but over time with self teaching, socializing in school, and speech therapy, I gotten to speak really well to the point where others would understand what I'm saying and me understanding them. It's a blessing. A path that was great for me to take. I now can look at Sign language and can always learn it. Enrichen yourself... you never know if you need it. I'm for lack of words here. :P

I'd say more, but night. :)

Thank you. Your speech journey echos my own. However, although it is a great skill to have it is like what Shel90 said 'it is a double-edged sword'. It tires me a great deal to speak clearly day in, day out. I am honestly tired. I want the choice to go voice off, something that was not afforded me when I was young and growing up.

I understand from what angle you are coming from, but this is where we need to educate family members, the public etc - that whether a Deaf person decides to use speech or go voice off, it should not make any difference, we are still equal human beings and it is just plain wrong for them to think otherwise.

People who choice to go voice off are absolutely equal to those who use their voice. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Sorry to hear about it. But in this case, the deaf person apparently already had very good speech but decides not to use it after doing so for many years. Apparently, she could be learning from experience that moderation is probably the key there.
Maybe she is burned out from all this just alike my friend who is burned out from doing this for his family for years, none of his family ever bother to learn ASL to communicate with his deaf wife and him who happened got so tired of reading their lips and talk all the time. His speech still need to work to this day even my husband corrected his speech because if he wants to talk then he needs to work on his speech still. With ASL, we just happen to use sign without correct eachothers hands unlikely speech still correct forever. He is doing this for his family not himself. U think it makes him healthy in mind? No he had nervous breakdown years ago. Even he got CI to communicate with his family but he stopped used it. Waste 80,000.00 for it.

I am reminded of a student of mine: when I asked him why he decided to get a CI (as he was very strong ASL and still needed a terp for classes and several other accommodations) he said "To make it easier for my mom to communicate with me." That answer broke my heart, and I still feel a stab every time I remember that conversation with him.

Maybe she is burned out from all this just alike my friend who is burned out from doing this for his family for years, none of his family ever bother to learn ASL to communicate with his deaf wife and him who happened got so tired of reading their lips and talk all the time. His speech still need to work to this day even my husband corrected his speech because if he wants to talk then he needs to work on his speech still. With ASL, we just happen to use sign without correct eachothers hands unlikely speech still correct forever. He is doing this for his family not himself. U think it makes him healthy in mind? No he had nervous breakdown years ago. Even he got CI to communicate with his family but he stopped used it. Waste 80,000.00 for it.

Yes, burn-out is a good way of wording it. :ty:

I am reminded of a student of mine: when I asked him why he decided to get a CI (as he was very strong ASL and still needed a terp for classes and several other accommodations) he said "To make it easier for my mom to communicate with me." That answer broke my heart, and I still feel a stab every time I remember that conversation with him.

Most of the times it's for the other people. Sad.

:ugh: This is terrible how he had to make the priority to speak for his family. The thing with family members is they expected him and other deaf people to talk so that hearing family members don't have to go through sign language at all. That is damaging to the human soul. :mad:

I had a hard time trying to explained to my Mom and my Dad about the need to sign, but they preferred me to talk to them and they talked to me. They refused to learn ASL because I can talk with my funny deaf accent. They had the easy way out. That was why I was not happy about it both in mainstream schools and at home. It was and still is not fair on the deaf child or deaf adult. :(

Most of the times it's for the other people. Sad.

You're absolutely right, but in the end, it should and will be for you and not for everyone else. If they can't deal/handle with you, then too bad, they probably couldn't later. Same thing if you were in a wheelchair.

I like what I'm doing. My right ear has been "dead" all my life until 8 months ago when I got a CI. I been practicing ever since. Everyday is a new challenge for me. As long it doesn't take anything from me or stop me from staying in school, I'll be fine. ... yeah. that's all. I need something more to go in here and English class (Summer semester) might help me on that. :P

Well - today is a "voice-off" day for me as I have such a killer headache that trying to talk hurts worse. I am using what little PSE I know and I can hardly believe it, but everyone in my family can figure it out, even MIL.

Well - today is a "voice-off" day for me as I have such a killer headache that trying to talk hurts worse. I am using what little PSE I know and I can hardly believe it, but everyone in my family can figure it out, even MIL.

So sorry for your headache:aw:, but glad to know that visual communication works just as well for the hearing members in your family. As I have found even if they read you wrong while figuring out what you said, it can make way for a lot of humorous moments, fun and laughter. :giggle:

After posting this thread it has opened up for more understanding for my hearing family. They are starting to understand where I am coming from and are more accepting of my choice/s and are putting in more effort to accomodate me. :D

So sorry for your headache:aw:, but glad to know that visual communication works just as well for the hearing members in your family. As I have found even if they read you wrong while figuring out what you said, it can make way for a lot of humorous moments, fun and laughter. :giggle:

After posting this thread it has opened up for more understanding for my hearing family. They are starting to understand where I am coming from and are more accepting of my choice/s and are putting in more effort to accomodate me. :D

And I am happy to know that things are improving for you!:wave:

Kinda related to what I have been saying all along. People do understand.

Back