Special Needs children

jamielee

Reaction score
Hey all
I was just wondering if there are any parents hearing or deaf that have a child or children with special needs?? I work with children with Autism and really enjoy it. Soon I will be working with a new child who has Autism, Down Syndrome and he is also Deaf.He understands sign but does not sign back at this time. I am really excited about meeting him but am also wondering how to work with a child who has such complex needs. anyone with sugestions or stories I would love to hear from you. thanks
Jamie

Well, I had additional special needs as a kid.....low muscle tone, clubfeet, learning disabilites, seizures, thyroid problems and probaly some others....lol

:) I have a son, who is deaf, had ADHD and PTSD. I recently adopted him on March 13th of this year. He had behavior problems that were so bad when he was 3 years old, in addition, he couldn't sign or speak. We took him when he was 3 years old, and helped him with his signing. He is fluent in ASL now. He came from a family of drug abusers, no structure in his life, no discipline, just didn't have any concept. My husband and I felt so sorry for him, and wanted so badly to work with him, and we got the chance and helped him learn his sign skills. The difference between right and wrong. Structure. In the years that passed, he improved so much. He still carries around a lot of anger inside him, goes for therapy once a week with his school counselor. He is adjusting, but, there will be a lot of work to be done as he gets older. But, it's a story with a happy ending for all of us. :)

at first my dr and i thought my son might have austim but later we learned that when we had my son evluated at center in LIttle Rock. it was determined that my son have sensory Processing disorder- SPD. He was put in therapy at the age of 1 1/2 yrs old. he had Occupational, Physcial, and speech therapy. since the father have custody of our son. he didnt think our son need therapy so didnt have him evluated?

he still have poor muscle tones in his hands and his legs due to SPD. he have poor handwriting skills- very sloppy. his drawings- sloppy of course. his teacher complained about it. I told my sons father u need to have him evaluated (yes he have temp custody of my son) he said what for? i said that tj still have plms due to handwriting skills? he said that TJ will be fine? he doesnt care? gosh. i am going to talk to the director at therapy where TJ went to and see if she have an idea what i can do to help TJ improve writing skills? i still think TJ need to be evluated again and might need therapy again.

but yes I am happy to say he doesnt need speech therapy. He passed with flying colors. :D

Back