Special Education -site I've made but got blocked

athleticandy88

Reaction score
you may be able to see it at www.swcseducation.com

but if not, here this. It's about me and my classes and I am being used by the government. you may reach me at aim @ athleticandy88, (aim name)@aol.com.. So please tell me what you think?

Major problems with mainstream classes

I will mention that this website is my opinion, of my experience at SWCS.

Created By: Andrew Snyder E-mail: AthleticAndy2007@yahoo.com

November 16, 2006

Hi, my name is Andy.

I would like to share my point of view concerning South-Western City Schools. I am now a senior at Central Crossing High School with competetive academic abilities. However, I am also a part of the South-Western City Schools Learning Disabilities program. I've been in the Learning Disabilities program ever since I started school in Columbus City Schools.

For those who are unaware of what it is, the Learning Disabilities program is better described as a "special needs educational program." I would like to describe how much I despise being in the Special needs program simply because I am hard of hearing. (I wear hearing aids, so I am able to hear with them, without the hearing aids I cannot hear a sound) I can read, write, and comprehend information the same as anyone else. I don't believe I was born with any handicaps which would warrant my being placed in a special needs system. The school system only seemed to be concerned with getting me to talk also at my parents approval they wanted me to talk without using American Sign Language In Columbus Schools, I think the Columbus City School system has been an adverse factor in my education due to their unneccesarily placing me in the Learning Disabilities program.

In my opinion, the school district was wrong in placing me in the Learning Disabilities program. I am hard of hearing but what does that demonstrate about my abilities in school? I cannot see why I was subjected to that! I think the South-Western school district used me as a means of collecting more funding from the government for students with disabilities. I feel that is wrong.

Everyday when I'm in that class, I feel like I'm dirt and have been treated differently than everybody else in the school. It is an awful feeling. Feeling like you only go to school to get made fun of. Also being in classes where the teacher makes you feel stupid, because the level they are teaching at is so far below you.

Being in the special needs classes is so embarrassing that if a friend, or someone I was aquainted with walked by, I would try to hide my face, or act like I was not a part of the classroom. The Learning Disabilities program does not represent who I am. I am a friend to everyone, who has achieved the National Honor Society, Buckeye Boys State 2nd alternate finalist, Eagle Scout and many other accomplishments.

While I attended Central Crossing High School this year I told myself I wasn't going to let anyone put me down anymore. I attended a Columbus City school with other hard of hearing/deaf students from the first to fifth grades, but I think I would have done just as well in a normal school that will offer me a chance to be in a regular class where I think I belonged. Because when I was Identified with a hearing problem, My parent's were incourage to allow me to go to Columbus Public City School where they thought be a good thing for me, becasue I would be in a total communication class instead of learning American Sign Language to speak.

I've tried already the beginining of the school year for 2006-2007 to be in at least one or more regular classes and I couldn't get it to proceed because of my IEP. But I did have a 20th century class that I was in for a week or so and I could not keep up or comprehend because of the way I've been taught or been helped in the passed, Even though I really wanted to try It was too late because I've been in LD classes since I was in Columbus School and it's basically sticking to me, because I've had so much help in the passed and than going to one classroom once a day with no help that I'm used to would cost me to see my grade fail.

But they convinced me to stay in where I was because I wouldn't be getting help, not that their right but I would of been alright if I wasn't so used of getting the potential help that I've been receiving. Also I would like to mention that this kind of thing about this is that there are needs and checked marked that needs to some major changes in the future with the 2007-2008 school year and let these kid feel that they are no different then anybody else in the school building...​

Ok, maybe I've wrote to much or something, but can someone please read this and give me some advice of what I should do, or what you think about it? thanks

Alternatives

Have you thought of perhaps doing some, if not all, courses from home via distance education? That way you can work at your own pace until your academic skills can develop to a level matching your peers. You can study what you are interested in, and use learning teachniques that work best for you temporarily until you are ready to enter the mainstream either for high school or for college. It would be great for you to be around other people doing similar things. I am pretty sure most cities have groups that get together and share ideas for that.
Hope that helped some!

Did u know that by law, u have a say in your IEP goals and placements at age 16 or 14? This is wrong and u have the right to get the appropriate education.

Often I see too many students from the public schools sent to the school where I work at which is a deaf school, with similiar stories as u do..wrong placement, expectations to achieve academically are low, and not being sensitive to the deaf/hoh students' needs.

I would contact the dept of special education in your state to see what can be done. I really believe that u have a say in your IEP now since u are a senior in high school.

It's not nessarily the Deaf ed placement that was the problem............More the admin putting you in an LD program. Happens too fucking much.............in the mainstream we get generic sped services. Most sped is targeted towards LD kids. As you know, you can stay in school until you're 21. Are there any Dhh high school programs in your area? Maybe if you'd been in a Deaf ed program, you would have done a lot better.

It's not nessarily the Deaf ed placement that was the problem............More the admin putting you in an LD program. Happens too fucking much.............in the mainstream we get generic sped services. Most sped is targeted towards LD kids. As you know, you can stay in school until you're 21. Are there any Dhh high school programs in your area? Maybe if you'd been in a Deaf ed program, you would have done a lot better.

uhm, I don't think so. how can I search that up?

Back