Special Education for deaf/Hoh in Public Schools

Do you mean that they did not meet the graduation requirements or that they couldn't do it in a standard school setting?

Typically, it's for student's who have been in self-contained placements which turn into life-skills classes etc. as they get older. Generally speaking, it's for individual students who don't have the cognitive ability to benefit from and progress in the general Ed setting. They only determine that after time has passed and the student has demonstrated their capacity for learning. In other words, a student being deaf is not going to qualify them for a special ed diploma as they are fully capable of obtaining a regular high school diploma.

Students who attend schools for the deaf are still eligible for regular diplomas. It's a question if whether or not the student meets standards set by the educational agency.

The reauthorization of IDEA in 2004 made it clear that student's need to be in placements that meet their individual needs- not the general needs of the school district. It is more common now for DHH students to be in either mainstream settings with support, or in schools for the deaf.

Some districts still try at times to put DHH kids (especially in early intervention) in a general Sp Ed setting. However, if the parents are with it all they need to do is not agree and push for an appropriate placement. The law is on their side.

You seem to think "special Ed" means a classroom placement- which it doesn't.

Special Ed and IEP's means the student gets support and services whether they are in a mainstream program or a Special Ed class.

For the most part, Special Ed "diploma's" are only given to students who have other challenges going on that prevent them from progressing within the general education curriculum.

That doesn't generally apply to students who are DHH given that they are fully capable of benefitting from the curriculum.

True in some aspects. But i know what my own experiences were. what you are seeming to miss here is that there are flaws that can really set d/hh students back. i was focused on classroom placement for that reason. your saying it doesnt apply when the situation actually did happen to me.

True in some aspects. But i know what my own experiences were. what you are seeming to miss here is that there are flaws that can really set d/hh students back. i was focused on classroom placement for that reason. your saying it doesnt apply when the situation actually did happen to me.

I don't quite follow your post. It is also not necessary to state that I am "missing" something when that is not the case. Sounds just like another poster and it's rather patronizing and incorrect. What is more likely that perhaps we are talking about two different things.

"Flaws" that set DHH students back? Whose flaws? Please explain what you mean by the bolded above.

Last edited:
I don't quite follow your post. It is also not necessary to state that I am "missing" something when that is not the case. Sounds just like another poster and it's rather patronizing and incorrect. What is more likely that perhaps we are talking about two different things.

"Flaws" that set DHH students back? Whose flaws? Please explain what you mean by the bolded above.

My apologies, there are other posters like that here and they try to constantly discredit each other, and looks like I've fallen victim to being patronizing. First of all the purpose of my OP was to just share how different public school programs are now from back in 1997-2000 for me. As far as the flaws, there are always programs out there that originally intend to help people (d/hh) in this case. They had frequently in the past clumped d/hh people who were in special education in classes with mentally challenged people. Which really can set a d/hh back. Like I said in my OP, I mom and my general education 2nd grade teacher pushed really hard to have me mainstreamed because they said there was nothing wrong with me mentally, I only had a "hearing impairment" and that I should receive the same education as general ed. As far as the diploma goes, in my old public school district I was told I would have received a special ed graduation diploma, even though I was basically fully mainstreamed, because at the time I still had IEP's and I was using a FM unit provided by the school. Hopefully I explained this better.

In this case, Shara, you don't need to apologize. There is one other poster here who is always saying "oh but you're missing" etal, so for a second there you sounded like her. I picked up on that too. But, you being new here, you probably didn't know that. And CSign doesn't like said poster's posts, so you got the fallout of that, unfortunately.

Anyway, my having been raised deaf and mainstreamed, I totally get what you were saying about flaws in the school system that set some back for a variety of reasons.

I was maintained and sometimes put in the special education category. u don'tknowwhat you are talking about. u are hearing and don't knowwhatit is like to be treated as someone different because of the special education stigma.

...As far as the diploma goes, in my old public school district I was told I would have received a special ed graduation diploma, even though I was basically fully mainstreamed, because at the time I still had IEP's and I was using a FM unit provided by the school. Hopefully I explained this better.

I don't even know what to say to that. It just seems insane.

Added: i thought the point of having an education customized to someones specific needs was to insure they got the same education as everyone else.

CSign, you mean Certificate of Attendance or in NY state an IEP diploma.
I think overall that the majority of low incidence students can greatly benifit from a program specificly designed for their disabilty. It's a FACT that public schools are best at edcuating the average student. did you know that GIFTED kids go through the same stuff sped kids do?

Where I grew up and went to middle school it was small ... ... only 2 classes for 7th and 8th grades ... half the day in one and half the day in the other for different subjects... I was mainstreamed and there was no DHH programs at any school I've been in only the county would send someone twice a year to check students hearing ... I had poor grades sometimes because I couldnt hear the teachers and they stuck me in special ed and it sucked ... the special ed teacher would go to the class and pull me out to go to her room to work on math DURING english class ... so yep I'd get behind in english too ... no one bothered to ask me or find out what or why my grades were bad .... because i couldnt hear anything ... i was just called "lazy" alot ... treated like an idiot ... i hated it ... my stepdad and his friends started calling me "repeat" which i didnt care for but what could i do?? i went on and graduated high school without their help ... and was on my own about college ... when i took the college placement tests it shocked them i placed 3rd year college level in reading/comprehension ... only had to take 1 math class for college placed out of the rest ... just my 2 cents worth here but then the DHH awareness and programs totally sucked and no such thing as a IEP back then that i know of ...

In this case, Shara, you don't need to apologize. There is one other poster here who is always saying "oh but you're missing" etal, so for a second there you sounded like her. I picked up on that too. But, you being new here, you probably didn't know that. And CSign doesn't like said poster's posts, so you got the fallout of that, unfortunately.

Anyway, my having been raised deaf and mainstreamed, I totally get what you were saying about flaws in the school system that set some back for a variety of reasons.

What! :lol:

1) Please don't speak on behalf of me. No need to generalize that I don't "like" a certain posters posts. I don't like inaccurate information, and I don't like being patronized. Other than that, I have no problem with the posts.

2) The fallout from that! Say what!?!? I wrote a perfectly pleasant post, and was clear that I wasn't clear on what she was referring to. Hence the, "please explain the bolded". The way it was written it could be interpreted in different ways.

3) Flaws in the school system? Yes! Absolutely! But the OP was not clear that was what she was referring to.

I was maintained and sometimes put in the special education category. u don'tknowwhat you are talking about. u are hearing and don't knowwhatit is like to be treated as someone different because of the special education stigma.

I don't question the fact that you were "maintained" and put in Sp Ed classes. I do know, very much what I'm talking about. Having the ability to hear doesn't have any impact on my ability to learn and understand the ways of the system.

Have you personally, as a child, been in Special Education?

What does that have to do with anything?

I was addressing the notion that DHH kids don't get "special education diploma's" unless they have something else going on. "Special Education" does not = a severely handicapped placement.

Special Ed is the supports, services and goals students receive with their IEP. That could mean placement in a mainstream environment, or in a Special Day Class depending on their individual needs and goals.

Is there something you find inaccurate in that statement?

I'm not talking about the legal or technical aspects or supposed aspects of Special Education.

I'm talking about the experience. As a child. Shel's reference.

I'm not talking about the legal or technical aspects or supposed aspects of Special Education.

I'm talking about the experience. As a child. Shel's reference.

Oh! Well I wasn't talking about that at any point in this thread.

Glad we cleared that up.

What does that have to do with anything?

I was addressing the notion that DHH kids don't get "special education diploma's" unless they have something else going on. "Special Education" does not = a severely handicapped placement.

Special Ed is the supports, services and goals students receive with their IEP. That could mean placement in a mainstream environment, or in a Special Day Class depending on their individual needs and goals.

Is there something you find inaccurate in that statement?

I understand what your saying, and I'm not doubting your knowledge of the system. I just thought you were talking about it from an objective viewpoint. There are many setbacks with being in a Special Ed. Program if your needs are misunderstood. That is what I'm trying to convey.

I understand what your saying, and I'm not doubting your knowledge of the system. I just thought you were talking about it from an objective viewpoint. There are many setbacks with being in a Special Ed. Program if your needs are misunderstood. That is what I'm trying to convey.

Or your accommodations are being ignored and you have to fend or cope without no help and you struggled trying to make head and tail of what the teachers and hearing students being said.

That is exactly what we need to get the accommodations but in the Special Ed program, it is totally different than what you think. It is all about oral-only method that we were suppose to lipread. You understand what I am saying. I am just like Shel90 and I had to put up the crap making head and tail which made me very upset and frustrated. I get mad that I could not make the grades.

I don't question the fact that you were "maintained" and put in Sp Ed classes. I do know, very much what I'm talking about. Having the ability to hear doesn't have any impact on my ability to learn and understand the ways of the system.

I was typing on my phone...autocorrect. Just a FYI.

These Android phones really don't do any of us justice with the autocorrect!

I meant that you weren't in special ed as a deaf person because you are hearing, right?

What many of us experienced as deaf people being placed under special ed can happen what the OP said. Maybe not to all but it did happen to several of us.

Back