Spanking kids can cause long-term harm: Canada study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twisting how? If I hit you but not hard enough to leave a visible mark, would you still try to file charges against me for assault? Even though I hit an adult (you), not a small child?

If your answer is yes, then you're twisting things around to suit you. It's not abuse if it's a parent hitting a chid but it's abuse if it's an adult hitting another adult. It's a fallacious argument.

Again, another twist of yours using emotional appeal. This is not about assaulting your own child. This is done in a judicious manner. Not about leaving a permanent mark. Not about doing it out of anger.

ssshhhhh........

1-3 spanks on the butt not done in abusive, violent manner is ok. if that's abusive to you, ok. no need to keep on harping about this. every parent has their own disciplinary method and as far as i'm concerned, this form of corporal punishment is allowable by law and it is not considered as abuse by many reputable organizations that protect children.

However I do not believe a corporal punishment should be delivered by anybody else other than parents. I would view it as assault and child abuse. Do not ever touch someone else's child. Period or you will be dealt with.

Oh, forget it! She don't care! She still considers all pro-spanking parents are terrible, anyway.

Again, another twist of yours using emotional appeal. This is not about assaulting your own child. This is done in a judicious manner. Not about leaving a permanent mark. Not about doing it out of anger.

More twisting. You probably spank while relecting on your failure to prevent such misbehavior in the first place.

Oh, forget it! She don't care! She still considers all pro-spanking parents are terrible, anyway.

Sighhh...I happen to agree with her, and I do not think spankers are "terrible." They just need to learn better ways to cope, and perhaps change the environment that causes bad behavior.

I'm sorry but if anybody spanked my child - no matter if he/she disclosed it to me about it, I will make sure that person will get spanked by a judge.

Same here. I would never ever let someone ELSE spank my child. How do you know how hard that person is spanking your child if you're not there to see/do it?

Sighhh...I happen to agree with her, and I do not think spankers are "terrible." They just need to learn better ways to cope, and perhaps change the environment that causes bad behavior.

Lair. :roll:

I think spanking itself is terrible. I do know people who do spank their kids and I don't like it. I hate seeing how the child looks and behave at the time their parent grabbed their arm and gave them a whack on the back of their upper legs. It makes my stomach churn to see this big person hunched over and seeing their arm swing down on a small child. it's not a pretty visual and i don't like it nor support it. and yet here you are spewing rage at me because i don't approve of little kids getting hit by adults.

I do know that some parents do it because that's what their parents did to them hence they use that to justify what they did. I do know some do it out of sheer frustration and I do know some do it becaue they had a bad day and took it out on their child who actually didn't do anything bad enough to warrant getting smacked. I've witnessed very tired single moms who had been working on their feet come home and give their child a big whack for not leaving them alone to veg out and watch tv. I've seen fathers whack their kids because their kids were "bothereing" them when in fact, the kids just wanted attention.

I don't support spanking. No, I don't think all people who spank are evil, I think most of them just don't know how to use other kinds of discipline effectively or properly and that's why they ended up resorting to spanking.

And I do know spanking is mostly done in a moment of lost composure on the parent's part and that makes me worried for the child.

if you want to think i'm a terrible person because i don;t endorse hitting a child and twist that into I hate all parents who spank, fine by me.

Same here. I would never ever let someone ELSE spank my child. How do you know how hard that person is spanking your child if you're not there to see/do it?

I'm just very disturbed by what steinhauer said about parents discussing together and agreeing to spanking each other's child if warranted and that they should be notified of it. I would never agree to it and I would be very upset if this was brought up in discussion. It's basically an unspoken rule... in fact - a mother nature's law - you don't ever touch anybody's child or you'll get whatever happens to you. period.

If a child came to me crying and telling me that he just got spanked, you can easily piece some puzzles together and that person will most likely explained his/her action when confronted about it.

If this was done at school, oh boy..... you can imagine how :mad2: I would get. Unfortunately.... corporal punishment at school is legally allowed in almost half of USA but I believe most school policy prohibits it just to avoid expensive legal headache.

Pfft. I already said if parents don't want to spank kids, great. I am so sick of anti-spanking people, like you, who try to make another parents feel so bad enough.

No, I don't think you're a terrible person, either. But, I don't think you're better than those parents because you never spank at all. Unlike you, I support parents' choice to pick any disciplinary method for their kids. I don't support abusive and ineffective methods because, obviously, it will damage kids' self-esteem and to increase fear. I don't support it.

Someone did spank my daughter once....I won't discuss the rest of the story.....Suffice to say violence begat violence

I made an honest attempt to try and understand her hostility and I think I may have a few answers. They are all assumptions.

First of all, she claims to be the daughter of an ambassador and to have travelled extensively around the globe. I have some very close friends that have families that are similar. One thing is common .....mommy and daddy did not raise their kids ....the nanny or au pair did. But according to Jiro, they don't "count". Neither do foster parents or step parents. The only ones who do (according to Jiro) are the biological parents. This would include the biological parents that neglect their children, the one's who relinquished their parental rights and gave their children to the state and even the ones who are too busy and hire nannies to raise their kids for them..

I don't buy what they are selling. Sounds too much like a politically driven emotional appeal from the left to turn caring concerned parents into criminals to me. It's evil at its finest.

I made an honest attempt to try and understand her hostility and I think I may have a few answers. They are all assumptions.

First of all, she claims to be the daughter of an ambassador and to have travelled extensively around the globe. I have some very close friends that have families that are similar. One thing is common .....mommy and daddy did not raise their kids ....the nanny or au pair did. But according to Jiro, they don't "count". Neither do foster parents or step parents. The only ones who do (according to Jiro) are the biological parents. This would include the biological parents that neglect their children, the one's who relinquished their parental rights and gave their children to the state and even the ones who are too busy and hire nannies to raise their kids for them..

I don't buy what they are selling. Sounds too much like a politically driven emotional appeal from the left to turn caring concerned parents into criminals to me. It's evil at its finest.

Um...what? I wasn't raised by any nannies at all. Just by my mother who was a stay at home mom.

I'm evil for being anti-spanking. lol. ok.

If anyone had ever laid a hand on one of my kids, then the police would have been called PDQ. I never let them go to other kid's house very often and we never lived in a neighborhood per se, so there were no friends within walking distance.

Mod note:

This room needs to air it out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back