South Korea evacuation after shelling on western border

Nic

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34001126

South Korea has ordered the evacuation of residents from an area of its western border after an exchange of fire with North Korea, reports say.

North Korea fired a shell at a South Korean military unit on Thursday, prompting the south to retaliate with several artillery rounds, the South's defence ministry said.

South Korea's National Security Council is due to hold an emergency session.

The western sea border has long been a flashpoint between the two Koreas.

North Korea fired a projectile towards Yeoncheon, a town north-west of Seoul, at 15:52 local time (06:52 GMT), the defence ministry said.

Reports suggest the target could have been a loudspeaker broadcasting anti-Pyongyang messages.

The South then fired "dozens of rounds of 155mm shells" towards where they thought the rocket was launched from, the ministry added in a statement.

There were no immediate reports of any injuries or damage on either side.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of a new Korean war...

Typical tit-for-tat response, it's going to take a deeper and large scale infiltration to start anything major.

A few years ago the north shelled the sout.and the south took casulties, dead,civilians, and nothing.came of it...no war so on.
In this case no one was killed so i doubt it will lead to war. But soju is some mean sfuff mixed with that mad kimchi, anything can happen...

The tension there has seemed higher since Kim Jong-un took over though... feels more chaotic.

lets hope we stay out of it..On aljeeza news the turks having pops at the greeks in Cyprus

The tension there has seemed higher since Kim Jong-un took over though... feels more chaotic.

same ole' **** for years. nothing new. nobody cares. business as usual in Korea.

I don't know why people like you keep thinking WW3's gonna happen. do you realize that we've been having this same ole' tiresome crap every year? when will you ever learn? :lol:

same ole' **** for years. nothing new. nobody cares. business as usual in Korea.

I don't know why people like you keep thinking WW3's gonna happen. do you realize that we've been having this same ole' tiresome crap every year? when will you ever learn? :lol:

Vigilance, Jiro, I guess......

I don't know why people like you keep thinking WW3's gonna happen. do you realize that we've been having this same ole' tiresome crap every year? when will you ever learn? [emoji38]
Well that escalated quickly... I don't think N Korea is likely to start WW3, but I do think they could start a war. Un just feels more undisciplined and chaotic than il did. Sure they poke each other and posture all the time, but we don't have experience with the new leader. He might just decide he wants to start bombing S Korea more seriously and do it.

Well that escalated quickly... I don't think N Korea is likely to start WW3, but I do think they could start a war. Un just feels more undisciplined and chaotic than il did. Sure they poke each other and posture all the time, but we don't have experience with the new leader.
lol.... start a war? but this is an ON-GOING war for over 50 years....

undisciplined? chaotic? both dictators are exactly same thing. naughty and naughty.

NK pokes us into giving them what they want... money aka "food/humanitarian aid". they do this every few months. expect to hear some "undisciplined and chaotic" response from North Korea in few months. and another few months. and again. and again.

He might just decide he wants to start bombing S Korea more seriously and do it.
same ole' line I hear all the time for previous dictator too.

and no he will not just "do it" because the generals will not follow his order. the upper class people will not allow it to happen either. in fact... Kim Jong-Un is just a puppet for them. you know these people are very wealthy and prefer to stay out of spotlight?

They have been at war since Korean war started because it was settled with an Armistice and not a surrender they are technically still at war

They have been at war since Korean war started because it was settled with an Armistice and not a surrender they are technically still at war
Technically yes, but I think everyone knows what I meant

Technically yes, but I think everyone knows what I meant

that's why you people are funny.... always forgetting and thinking it's a brink of war.

FYI - I'm a Korean and pretty much my entire families live in Korea and majority of them have served in Korean military :cool2:

Back