Sould hearing people that know ASL use sign all the time if a Deaf person is present?

Those topics about sim-com make me remember when professor is reading something from the book or paper to the class.

In those situations I almost never interpret. I let the student know where to follow along. The only time I interpret is if the professor is lecturing out of a book and the students don't have the material, which is really annoying because people talk much faster when they're reading and it's also more complicated to interpret. But if the student has the book, I'll just show the part that has to be read, most of the time. Generally speaking I'm told in advance if the student requires written-to-sign translation and it's a special case.

Yeah.

*whisper* I can do that trick. Yup.

I always wondered why some people have hard time doing that trick. It's not that hard at all...Yeah, I am going off topic now.

even further :topic:

Spell CAT with your dominant hand and COW with your non-dominant hand... at the same time. Muahahahaha! :devil:

even further :topic:

Spell CAT with your dominant hand and COW with your non-dominant hand... at the same time. Muahahahaha! :devil:

Wow that's even harder than CAT and DOG. I thought being a little of ambi would help...but noo.

How fun! I will practice on that!

Sould hearing people that know ASL use sign all the time if a Deaf person is present? Wy or why not? Please leave your name (first and last), mode of communication, where you went to high school, occupation, and if you are Deaf or hard of hearing, and if you want age (optional but prefered) . THIS IS FOR A SCHOOL PROJECT, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY IF YOU FILLED IT OUT!.

Absolutely! The Learning Center for the Deaf mandatory to using sign language even they are hearing people. My program house, two hearing staffs tend to talking each other without signs. I did prompt them, it considers rude because they need to use sign for other Deaf clients and staffs in that house. ASL is our primary language.

Absolutely! The Learning Center for the Deaf mandatory to using sign language even they are hearing people. My program house, two hearing staffs tend to talking each other without signs. I did prompt them, it considers rude because they need to use sign for other Deaf clients and staffs in that house. ASL is our primary language.

I did my student teaching at TLC in 2002. Great program!!!! My friend works at Walden House as a Mental Health Counselor. Maybe u know her?

I did my student teaching at TLC in 2002. Great program!!!! My friend works at Walden House as a Mental Health Counselor. Maybe u know her?

Cool - I worked at Walden School as relief staff. ;) I have not met most of the staffs lately. I had been out of work since October due to my husband passed away.

I have two jobs which is enough. I do miss to work with children.

I've been using sim-com since i was in middle school.. I've always used PSE when I do sim-com. I wasn't taught Sim-com.. I was and am still.. used to signing and talking at the same time. it was just a natural move for me. Since I tend to talk more than I sign.. if i'm around deaf people.. i continue to talk but i sign as well. I can't turn off my chattering.. but I can turn off my voice. I'd actually like to give a lecture about how SEE does NOT change signs that are already established in ASL.. Cuz people totally have the wrong idea of SEE.

One language will always suffer when sim-comming. It's next to impossible to be fully effective in both languages for an extended period of time. You sort of have to decide which is more important, the English or the sign and skew your brain that way. Also, it's impossible to fully sign ASL and speak English. Definitely when I'm sim-comming it will happen that ASL will slip in (for example, if I say "give to" I'm not going to sign "GIVE TO," I'll sign "GIVE-TO" with the ASL inflection) but for the most part if you're sim-comming, you're going to be signing English.

Mostly when I sim-com I'm carrying on an English conversation with someone and there are deaf people around, so I let the sign slip a little, the idea being that if someone is "eavesdropping" and can see enough from my signs that the conversation is interesting, they can join in.

Another situation where I use sim-com is with deaf people who use it. I know someone who has a pretty good amount of hearing and uses his voice with hearing people but also signs at the same time, so I do both with him as well. In that case my emphasis is on the sign.

I would never teach a class in sim-com. Maybe there are people out there who can very effectively convey their message speaking and signing at the same time but I am not one of them (and I also suspect many people who think they are, are not). I would teach either entirely in English or entirely in ASL (or English sign depending on the students' needs) and have an interpreter if necessary.

:gpost: To me, trying to sim-com is like trying to speak Spanish and write English at the same time. ASL is not spoken, so the syntax suffers when you attempt to speak at the same time. And when you revert to PSE, English grammar suffers, ASL grammar suffers, and concept suffers.

Same way at St. Rita. ALL staff and faculty must sign, and parents must take sign classes.

Back