SOS Need help with curious toddler.

ashleysmommy

Reaction score
I am in need of some suggestions once again. Ashley has discovered how to pull the cover off of her processor, take the coil wire off of the magnet, and then tries to pull the wire loose from the processor. She loves to examine things to see how they work. She thinks this is a game. I have tried to teach her NO. She laughs at me and goes for it again. She will sneak off into the hall and start to take things apart. She is a mess!! We are now on her second coil wire and it is shorting if moved a certain way. That is great so far but the new wire is only a week old. Any suggestions on how to discourage her curiosity? The coil wires are not cheap!!! Please help!!

Afraid there isn't much you can do to stop the curiousity. It is really baby's natural to be curious. Remember, everything is brand new to babies no matter what.
I wouldn't stop that, I would consider this very positive because, the more curious the child becomes, the smarter the child will lead to adult life.

So, grind and bear and be proud to have smart child.

I am in need of some suggestions once again. Ashley has discovered how to pull the cover off of her processor, take the coil wire off of the magnet, and then tries to pull the wire loose from the processor. She loves to examine things to see how they work. She thinks this is a game. I have tried to teach her NO. She laughs at me and goes for it again. She will sneak off into the hall and start to take things apart. She is a mess!! We are now on her second coil wire and it is shorting if moved a certain way. That is great so far but the new wire is only a week old. Any suggestions on how to discourage her curiosity? The coil wires are not cheap!!! Please help!!

I love the fact that she is curious. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on how to I guess for lack of a better way to put it toddler proof the processor. I have taken painters tape and taped all around it hoping to keep the wire more stable and the cover on. She pulls that off too but it takes longer.

You could leave it off when it's not needed. If she's going to play in a playground, leave it off. If she's going to play in her room, leave it off. If she's in the same room with you, leave it on. She doesn't have to have it on 24/7 because it won't really benefit her when she's in an environment where sounds aren't a necessity. For instance, if people were at your place... then she would need to hear people talk. Leave it on. If she was in her room where she's playing with her toys and not listening to anyone talking... then there's no need to leave it in since there's nothing to listen to.

I second Vampy's suggestion. I know that parents are really encouraged to push "all waking hours" device usage. That's not a BAD thing. If Ashley is making a lot of progress speechwise, I don't see any problem with occasional nonusage of the CI. Especially since you're also pushing Sign. Occasional nonusage of the CI, will teach her that she can function both WITH and WITHOUT the CI!
Maybe a good idea might be to use one of the harnesses..........Not sure......if you're on one of the pediatric CI listservs, I'd ask there!

LOL! Kids you have got to love them! It's great that she is exploring her world as it's all part of learning.

I think possibly she has realised that when she "explores" her CI she gets a reaction from you, which probably interests her. So I'm not sure if leaving the CI off at certain times is really going to solve that (unless she is wanting a rest from the sounds) since she'll want to use her "let's make mummy flustered" routine until she grows out of it. Don't worry, once she grows out of using the CI to get a reaction out of you it will be something else.

Maybe ask on the different parent boards for some advice on people who have been there and done that. What about some positive reinforcement for leaving Mr CI alone? e.g. "When you stop playing with the CI we can read a book or play this."

She gets down time. I don't force her to wear it 24/7. When she gets fussy I give her a break. I don't have it on in the car or in stores when we shop unless it is a visit to friends at my old job. She takes the magnet loose and throws it. The last thing I need is to loose parts in a busy Wal-Mart. I keep it pinned to her shirt just tucked behind so she can not get it. If people stop to talk to her I put it on. Nap time and bed time are quiet time too. She has come a long way and is learning things at her own pace. We battle over her glasses too. I know she does this to get me. She will look right at me smile her little mischievous smile and pull her glasses and the magnet off. She is a MESS!!!! My new tape method is working so far today. I guess trail and error for the toddler proofing. Rewarding her does not work. We have tried that in feeding therapy. She still cries until she is done and then when she gets out of her chair for play time she is fine. We get no tears so I know she is just mad. I have a very strong willed little girl on my hands. That can be good and bad. I guess I have entered the terrible two zone! YEA!!!!

Back