Sorenson, Shame on You!

I am just going to have to make a vlog about this...
Good grief, I hate looking at myself on video. I'm trying to edit my vlog and it is creepy looking at myself. Do any other vloggers feel this way? I might give up because I don't want to edit it anymore and keep staring at myself. Ugh!

Passing on an email link I received from deafread yesterday.

I understand you got that email from deaf people or person. Research about that before you pass to someone.

Today, Viable.net of their software but haven't used few days. They aren't let you use another VRS. So it should be pass link about that Viable.net because it should do same thing what Sorenson already did in the past.

I understand you got that email from deaf people or person. Research about that before you pass to someone.

Today, Viable.net of their software but haven't used few days. They aren't let you use another VRS. So it should be pass link about that Viable.net because it should do same thing what Sorenson already did in the past.

Software - careless, because you decide to choice and download it.
hardware - care, because it allow anyone choice any VRS to call.

Agree with PowerON. If you want to, you can download software for other providers. Yes, the Viable software is great, but there's no reason they should have to make it work for other providers. If you want to use other providers, download their software.

if there is a mass exodus to VRS from community, sounds like something is rotten in the community. Terps want to work in community settings.

not to mention, sorenson is not twisting anyone's arm and forcing them to apply for a job there.

and who says terps can't do both? community and VRS are not mutually exclusive. most VRS terps still do community work

regarding the canada thing, all i can do is laugh. your goverment wont let small businesses run VRS companies, and somehow this is sorenson's fault? Your goverment is so backwards it hasn't set up VRS for it's deaf citizens, yet this is sorenson's fault? the US goverment (and therefore the US citizens)pays for VRS, why should WE pay for Deaf canadians to use VRS?

i also love how the Deaf community thinks we are THEIR interpreters...when's the last time a Deaf person paid for an interpreter? This is a service industry, and terps are gonna follow the money, regardless.

if there is a mass exodus to VRS from community, sounds like something is rotten in the community. Terps want to work in community settings.

not to mention, sorenson is not twisting anyone's arm and forcing them to apply for a job there.

and who says terps can't do both? community and VRS are not mutually exclusive. most VRS terps still do community work

regarding the canada thing, all i can do is laugh. your goverment wont let small businesses run VRS companies, and somehow this is sorenson's fault? Your goverment is so backwards it hasn't set up VRS for it's deaf citizens, yet this is sorenson's fault? the US goverment (and therefore the US citizens)pays for VRS, why should WE pay for Deaf canadians to use VRS?

i also love how the Deaf community thinks we are THEIR interpreters...when's the last time a Deaf person paid for an interpreter? This is a service industry, and terps are gonna follow the money, regardless.

This morning when I paid the interpreter $ 50.00 for an hour and a half.

There are some of us Deaf people that are considered 'self-pay'.

Good grief, I hate looking at myself on video. I'm trying to edit my vlog and it is creepy looking at myself. Do any other vloggers feel this way? I might give up because I don't want to edit it anymore and keep staring at myself. Ugh!

If you want to make the vlog look good and smooth - let me know, I can help. I have been a vlogger for DeafVIDEO.TV - Deaf Videos and Vlogs :)

This morning when I paid the interpreter $ 50.00 for an hour and a half.

There are some of us Deaf people that are considered 'self-pay'.
Why? Deaf people are not required to pay for interpreters. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you would pay for your own interpreter, and I can't think of one. :confused:

Why? Deaf people are not required to pay for interpreters. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you would pay for your own interpreter, and I can't think of one. :confused:
There are some situations.

I used to interpret for a deaf client who attended weekly "training" meetings for a sales company. The company wasn't required to pay for interpreters because each sales "consultant" was actually an independent contractor, not an employee. The deaf client "paid" me with the retail value of the product that was sold.

I've heard that the same situation occurs for people in the construction industry, and others where people are hired not as employees but as independent contractors.

I know other deaf friends who have hired terps for their Tupperware parties, family reunions, and other social activities.

Some have to pay out of their own pockets for interpreting for weddings and funerals.

I'd say that 99.9% of my assignments have been paid for by the hearing party but there are some occasions where the deaf client paid me (with barter goods). I do weddings and funerals gratis, only for people I know.

Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about weddings, social events, and the like. Thanks, Reba!

Sadly, some interpreting agencies are dropping consumer based interpreting and VRI, and going fully to VRS.

Because I can claim it on my taxes. :)

It also includes H.A.'s because it is considered medical necessity

Oic, well, I've never considered HA's, batteries, and upkeep in the same category with terp expenses. I kinda doubt that this is allowed for the same reason terps are not provided under certain circumstances as spelled out by the law. I've paid for interpreters before but never claimed that expense. I've always had dogs and hearing aids for which I DO make the claims as deductions in Schedule A: Itemized Deductions. Interesting......

The tax code is very easily manipulated...people make it say what they want all the time. The IRS just doesn't have the resources to check out what everybody is claiming as deductions.

I am NOT an accountant, but I would agree that interpreters are not tax-deductible. Hearing aids are because they are a medical device. It's kind of like someone with cancer who wants to die at home. They buy a hospital bed, and hire home hospice care. The bed is deductible as a durable medical device, but the services of a carer are not.

Again, I'm not an accountant, I am a TurboTax kinda gal, and I don't know for sure...but this is how I would see it.

The tax code is very easily manipulated...people make it say what they want all the time. The IRS just doesn't have the resources to check out what everybody is claiming as deductions.

I am NOT an accountant, but I would agree that interpreters are not tax-deductible. Hearing aids are because they are a medical device. It's kind of like someone with cancer who wants to die at home. They buy a hospital bed, and hire home hospice care. The bed is deductible as a durable medical device, but the services of a carer are not.

Again, I'm not an accountant, I am a TurboTax kinda gal, and I don't know for sure...but this is how I would see it.

Well, obviously, I agree with you; I just didn't know your gender till just now, lol....

Back