Sooooo!

Deaffy

Reaction score
Exciting news.. I went from 0% speech recongition. and today I was tested with my activation " map" WItht he CI I am now at 80% sentance recongition.. I went from a 80-!05 db loss now am hearing at 20-30 DB and could get 10 bd at 5k hz.. Im impressed... They changed 4 electrodes tonight so we shall see how it goes in the next comming weeks..

WOW HOLY CRAP! That's AMAZING Deaffy soooooo happy for you...that's crazy that you got that JUST with a crude MAP ..nuts...and just think it will only get better from here! :)

Yeah.. My audi said some ppl its takes months- years to get what I got in one week... Guess I am just a good canidate. We shall see how it goes in the future. I still have lots of trouble in noise.. I was at the bar tonight and I could understand my brother but I had to pay close attn to him.. So there is still a struggle with CI users its not a cake walk, but it can do things Ha cant. I no longer feel pain in teh ear due to what the " sound" was like with Ha. I couldnt get speech perception with HA

WOW! That is most impressive!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

About how long did you have that loss for?

Footnote: this is my 400th post on alldeaf.com whoo-hoo!!

I have been deaf for 10 years. Lost my hearing when I was 23.. I am now 33

Deaffy that's AWESOME....and you're doing really well b/c you're late deafened.
Just a note, even people with unilateral losses have lots of problems hearing in crowds and noisy situtions. It's just a hoh thing.

deaffy.. just a question. you may have answered it before.. what caused you to loose your hearing? (im the same age you were)
*EQL*

They do not know. They speculate that when I was born I was really ill and it caused me to lose my hearing in my left ear... They aren't sure what caused me to lose my right ear. During my surgery they could not see anything anatomically wrong with my ear. Guess these things just happen to people sometimes. Wish I could get a answer to it. But I don't think I ever will.:eek3:

Update Map #2:

Went for mapping today. Turned out well. Did more booth testing. I increased from 80% sentance recon to 88% today before tweaking 4 electrodes. She also gave me a few new programs. I got redudced background noise... focus.. music.. and one everyday program. should be fun to try out these new progs and see what they have to offer. Overall im hearing pretty much within normal hearing ranges which my audi seems amazed at how well I am doing. My tinnitus is pretty much non existent now and my speech reading skills have diminshed quite a bits. Crazy you go 10 years of relying on speech reading and then get a implant and within a months time I no longer have to use speech reading :(

Deaffy - I have a question for you !!

You mentioned that you previously were SSD, then lost the hearing on the other side (so bilaterally deaf) then got 1 CI, then just recently got the other ... do I have this correct?

If so - I'm curious to know how you feel that having 1CI compares to being SSD - does it sound similar in terms of how well/much you hear, how tired you are after a day of focused listening etc ???

I ask because I have always wondered how similar my hearing is to someone who has 1 CI

I was born SSD, and now have mild HL (fluxs to mod) and almost certainly mild APD.

I wish you all the best with being BiLat - and look forward to any insights you may have :)

Anj,

I dont want to appear as a CI fanboy ok!.. But yeas I was SSD years ago was all my life till 23 then i went total deaf.. I only have one CI.. If I was to compare it to my SSD days.. ITs far better than normal hearing was for me... I can now hear the entire melodys of music.. and voices are really clear for me. I do have issues in noise but I did also when I only had one natural ear hearing. So for me the CI outdoes what my natural hearing gave me.. I was able to survive well with one good ear I just was missing alot of information when it came to diff pitches.. the CI gives me what I never could hear.. But my results arent the same as someone else's CI's theres no gurantee with this type of success.. IT varies from person to person

Anj,

I dont want to appear as a CI fanboy ok!.. But yeas I was SSD years ago was all my life till 23 then i went total deaf.. I only have one CI.. If I was to compare it to my SSD days.. ITs far better than normal hearing was for me... I can now hear the entire melodys of music.. and voices are really clear for me. I do have issues in noise but I did also when I only had one natural ear hearing. So for me the CI outdoes what my natural hearing gave me.. I was able to survive well with one good ear I just was missing alot of information when it came to diff pitches.. the CI gives me what I never could hear.. But my results arent the same as someone else's CI's theres no guarantee with this type of success.. IT varies from person to person

Thanks for your answer!

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly - you feel you hear better now with the CI , than you did when you were SSD ? Yes?

One thing that soooo many people think is that being SSD is "99% like being bi-laterally hearing" ... however at least in MY case it's more like being 70-80% DEAF with occasional bouts of "hearing-ability".

provided that I am understanding you correctly ...
I find it very very helpful that at least you your situation you feel that you actually hear better with one CI than you did when you had "all natural SSD" ... realising that everyone's situation is unique of course.

I'm very much looking forward to how will continue to do with the CI in the future :)

Ohh most definately I feel the CI is far better than my days of SSD. Fuller RIcher sound.. But mind you when I was SSD I never knew what normal hearing was.. so to me its was all i knew.. Now with the CI yeah i cant locate sounds as good as SSD was but I can hear fuller richer and cripser sounds.. that are more profound. and unlike SSD was.. I can actually decide how loud I Want to hear things. unlike natural hearing.. And I have the option now to be totally deaf when ever I want.. It's really nice to just have those times where ur tired and want the world to shut up!

Back