Soooo happy. I love my new hearing aid!!!!

The Surgeon and I chose mutally the better ear since it had stimiulation from wearing HA for long time. My left ear didn't have HA for 16 years until before i was implanted, the tinnitus became less noticable so they set it quite low enough for me to hear and not to set off the tinnitus so that at least i have some sounds while recovering from the op for 5 weeks until the switch on.
Funny enough you said it I forgot to ask my Audi to turn down my HA last fri. Will ask someone on friday anyway as i am doing the talk at my Centre.

Unfortuately with the pay i have i would never beable to afford CI. I am living comfortably but on bare minimum.

Ive been told that if you don't stimulate the auditory nerve for a long time(over 5 years) the nerve will start to atrophy and youll hear less with HA/CI. Could this be why your worse ear does so bad with HA? Would a CI ever give good results with a damaged auditory nerve? If not, maybe wait for technology that can repair/regenerate your auditory nerve then youd hear so much better with HA :)

(I left a comment in your blog in reply to the comment you left in my blog)

Ive been told that if you don't stimulate the auditory nerve for a long time(over 5 years) the nerve will start to atrophy and youll hear less with HA/CI. Could this be why your worse ear does so bad with HA? Would a CI ever give good results with a damaged auditory nerve? If not, maybe wait for technology that can repair/regenerate your auditory nerve then youd hear so much better with HA :)

Ok now that's not true at all. I got my worse ear implanted that haven't been stimulated at all not for 1 second for 15 years. And I'm hearing at 15 db all across frequency for speech sound and 30 for pure tone beep (reason: can't tell diff between my tinitus or my body noise I was hungry that day so stomach was growling whole time) and the clarity is amazing, and I noticed great difference from the first few minutes after the activation, I didn't hear any beeping or fake electronic sound.
Care to explain this phenomenon?

@deafdude1 - My audie has the same concerns which is why I hadn't tried an HA for my left ear. We'll see what happens to see if that info is true because my left ear has a 100 dB loss and above and it's been like that for 25 years. But, I still heard something when my audie did my last hearing test, which was pretty scary at first because it felt/sounded like a truck hitting the side of my head. We'll find out on Monday what will happen with an HA in that ear.

@SkullChick - Those are pretty amazing results. I'm interested in hearing more about this phenomenon and the explanation behind it. Here's hoping my ear's the same way when I get my left HA on Monday!! :cool2:

BTW, @SkullChick - did you ever try a hearing aid in that ear before getting the CI?

Ok now that's not true at all. I got my worse ear implanted that haven't been stimulated at all not for 1 second for 15 years. And I'm hearing at 15 db all across frequency for speech sound and 30 for pure tone beep (reason: can't tell diff between my tinitus or my body noise I was hungry that day so stomach was growling whole time) and the clarity is amazing, and I noticed great difference from the first few minutes after the activation, I didn't hear any beeping or fake electronic sound.
Care to explain this phenomenon?

Unfortunately some people get their better ear implanted for the only reason that their worse ear didn't have a HA for years. I am just saying I talked to one of the woman who has a CI blog and she said if you don't stimulate the auditory nerve for over 5 years it will begin to atropy then you won't have very good results with CI. You proved her wrong though. This also makes me believe no one should rush into a CI.

@deafdude1 - My audie has the same concerns which is why I hadn't tried an HA for my left ear. We'll see what happens to see if that info is true because my left ear has a 100 dB loss and above and it's been like that for 25 years. But, I still heard something when my audie did my last hearing test, which was pretty scary at first because it felt/sounded like a truck hitting the side of my head. We'll find out on Monday what will happen with an HA in that ear.

I am as curious as you. Even if the HA doesn't give you speech comphrension, no reason why you can't benefit from environmental sounds. And if it distracts from speech in the better ear, wear both HAs only when you aren't talking to anyone and turn the worse HA ear off when you talk. I am curious how well youll be aided with a 100+ db loss. You probably won't qualify for CI in any ear since your better ear already hears better than CI.

I am 28 and I have not worn a HA in either ear since I was 10. I was implanted in my left ear when I was 26 in October of 2006, so my left ear had not been stimulated for 16 years and I still got good results with my CI. I thought everything would beep beep beep when I was activated, but nope. I heard voices and many other sounds right away, could hear the sounds clearly. Maybe I was just lucky. Only reason I do not understand speech was just because I was NEVER taught to understand speech (I was only taught to speak a little) when I was a small child.

Doesn't it make sense to put CI on the ear with the least amount of hearing so that you can preserve the ear with some hearing?

Doesn't it make sense to put CI on the ear with the least amount of hearing so that you can preserve the ear with some hearing?

Of course! However when someone's good ear scores above 60% speech, one wouldn't be a CI candidate.

Because stream2525 wrote a nice comment about how happy he/she is happy for you?

My audiologist said implanting my better ear would increase my chance of success. Although I can hear sounds in my right ear, it is so distorted that nothing makes sense. I have not worn a HA over my right ear since I was 14. So I had my left ear which is my better ear implanted.

@sallylou- While I appreciate stream2525's comment...it should be in the new thread.

Although I see he/she's already responded in the new thread to that makes this moot. Oh, well.. :)

Welcome stream2525! :wave: :wave:

Back