something i just learned about signing

There are two kinds of signers (I think)... the kind that sign without using their lips and the kind that sign while using their lips.

Either way, you can tell a lot more by how they move their lips and how they make facial expressions.

Imagine a hearing person talking. How do you know if a hearing person is talking or yelling? You can tell by the tension in their facial expression and how much bigger their mouths get when they're yelling.

Now, apply that to watching them sign at the same time. That will help you understand their feelings... emotions... etc.

ESL means English as a second language. Some people erroneously use it to mean English sign language but they really are referring to forms of signed English such as SEE or sometimes even PSE.

There is no such thing as European sign language, just as there is no such thing as European spoken language. Each country has its own language.

That's the first time I ever saw the term "European sign." Where is that from?

Agreed. I have noticed that it is common for younger people to actually use ESL when they mean MCE.

I have never heard the term "European sign" either.:dunno2:

Agreed. I have noticed that it is common for younger people to actually use ESL when they mean MCE.
I think some people might be trying to legitimize the MCE by calling it an equivalent language, and others, the students, just don't know the difference.

I have never heard the term "European sign" either.:dunno2:
Oh, it must be sooo Continental! ;) (Goes with the crooked pinky.)

I think some people might be trying to legitimize the MCE by calling it an equivalent language, and others, the students, just don't know the difference.

Didn't consider people trying to legitimize the MCE's. Good point. I thought it was just an error the students were making with so many initialized systems thrown at them.:P

Oh, it must be sooo Continental! ;) (Goes with the crooked pinky.)

LOL. And spoken over a spot of tea.

How can there be European sign language? Europeans speak Polish, French, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Russian, Dutch etc...each will have own sign language right?

While I am at Deaf church, since I do not know a lot of ASL and am still learning, I tend to watch both the terp, who is speaking so I can read her lips, and the signer. I watch both hands and face. We have 2 different men who will give the lesson. One is very good with mouthing the words for the most part, the other does not mouth any words but has very good facial cues to what he is signing. I am really learning more and more. My problem is, I am beginning to recognize them when it is used, but I can't seem to repeat it from memory. Even when the terp is signing a song, and everyone is copying her, I am unable to since it goes too fast. If it's a song I know, then I still can't as I have problems remembering the signs.

I don't understand.. "learn to focus on the signers face, not their hands".
Ok I understand about emotion..but how can u read sign just by looking only at their face. U read hands right?
Is this a stupid question..are is that just me being a newbie?

to add, do you look at the eyes for eye contact or lips..(like for lip readers)?

So you see and understand sign from your peripheral vision? :-o:bowdown:

I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that. :eek3:

/* just on lesson 10 at lifeprint.com

Back