Some Questions Regarding ASL

StevieMont927

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm taking ASL classes at a language school with a Deaf teacher. Today, we were going over how to say we like something, and she showed us the kiss-fist. I've read, however, that people find use of the kiss-fist annoying. Is it really annoying, or is that only when it's overused? Also, what's the difference between the kiss-fist, and the sign for "love" when you cross your arms over your chest?

Regarding different ways of signing, I know people sign differently in different regions, but does it also go by personal preference of signs? For instance, I know there are several ways of signing "how", should I find out which one's local or does it not matter? I know when I start getting more involved with the Deaf Community I'll pick stuff up there, but I don't want to look like a total idiot for just picking the way I like to sign something and using it.

Thanks for your responses!! :ty:

I was reading about the same thing with the kist fist and some people getting annoyed. I saw it while watching a video on youtube from two CODA brothers. I was like :shock:.

Don't quote me but the fist is more admiration and the hugging arms is for being in love with. Well thats my interpretation. So I use the fist (I giggle when I say that) when talking about a thing, and the hugging motion for a person. Looking forward to other answers.

I was reading about the same thing with the kist fist and some people getting annoyed. I saw it while watching a video on youtube from two CODA brothers. I was like :shock:.

Don't quote me but the fist is more admiration and the hugging arms is for being in love with. Well thats my interpretation. So I use the fist (I giggle when I say that) when talking about a thing, and the hugging motion for a person. Looking forward to other answers.

Sounds good. The CODA Brothers are funny.

Different Deaf people will tell you different things. You'll go crazy if you listen to all of them at once. Go to some ASL socials so that you can learn how the people with whom you will be communicating use ASL. You'll still find some discrepancies among that group of people (depending where they grew up and went to school). Keep a good sense of humor and don't take yourself too seriously! I've made some major flubs and they thought it was a hoot.

Hi, so I'm taking ASL classes at a language school with a Deaf teacher. Today, we were going over how to say we like something, and she showed us the kiss-fist. I've read, however, that people find use of the kiss-fist annoying. Is it really annoying, or is that only when it's overused? Also, what's the difference between the kiss-fist, and the sign for "love" when you cross your arms over your chest?

Regarding different ways of signing, I know people sign differently in different regions, but does it also go by personal preference of signs? For instance, I know there are several ways of signing "how", should I find out which one's local or does it not matter? I know when I start getting more involved with the Deaf Community I'll pick stuff up there, but I don't want to look like a total idiot for just picking the way I like to sign something and using it.

Let's break this down a little.

What people find the use of kissfist annoying?

okay, lets expound on this a bit.

English language you have hate, like, and love. Not much in the between.

the kissfist is more between like and love, but a bit more towards love.

Ie: " I love it that everything is going right for me today " - use kissfist.
Ie II: "I love her" use hugging
Ie III: "I love my brother" - mostly kissfist, sometimes crossed fingers (R handshape)
more on the III: "I love my brother's humor" kissfist.
"I love my brother dearly" use hugging.

Ie III: "I love my brother" - mostly kissfist, sometimes crossed fingers (R handshape)

I seen that you use the kiss fist the same as I would. Didn't know you'd use the fist when you say I love my brother. The hugging sign seems when you want to expressed the deepest of love feelings. Thanks for your opinion PFH.

Oh and to add, some CODA brothers were making jokes on youtube about what deaf people found annoying about interpreters. They mentioned the use or maybe meant to convey, the over misuse of the fists. If you love something, you love something, point blank.. Anywho they were trying to be funny, I didnt think it was that funny, but I digress.

Have to admit here, I myself don't know what the "kissfist" is. Never seen it and never heard of it.

That's really helpful, thanks!!

Different Deaf people will tell you different things. You'll go crazy if you listen to all of them at once. Go to some ASL socials so that you can learn how the people with whom you will be communicating use ASL. You'll still find some discrepancies among that group of people (depending where they grew up and went to school). Keep a good sense of humor and don't take yourself too seriously! I've made some major flubs and they thought it was a hoot.

I'll keep that in mind. I was mainly trying to find out if there was a whoooole bunch of people with the same opinion, you know? Majority, and all that. I'm looking forward to hanging out and practicing ASL, especially since I want to move into the Deaf/HoH/Deaf Studies dorm in CSUN. ASL is the main language so I'll be getting a lot of practice in there. Thanks!!!

eh don't worry about it. it's no different from lame girls using "like" or "you know" on almost every other word.

"you know like... he was like... yea like duhhh like you know"

From what I understand...

The way I was taught was just to have the fist at your chin and move it outward. I was never taught to actually kiss your fist, although I have seen people do that.

My ASL teacher was born Deaf (and I took ASL 101, 2, 3, and Deaf Culture with her)

I'd never seen anyone actually kiss their fist until I started watching some YouTube videos where people did that.

So I think what the CODA Brothers were saying is that there is no need to actually kiss your fist when you make the sign for "love."

Also, the way I learned it is that if you are talking about a person, you use the "arms crossed, hugging" sign, because you would (most likely) be more affectionate with/toward a person than you would an object. But if you are talking about anything else, you use the fist.
One way to remember it is that you could love something that you PREFER or that is your FAVORITE (sign is at the chin).

I hope my explanation helped anyone. I'm not saying it's THE way to sign it, because I'm from Rochester, NY and I know some signs are regional, but this is just the way I learned it.

:)

:lol: You are all funny.

I used the kissfist when I want to express my favorite or the best in the world.

Example: Oh, you are the best in the world. (then you kissfist)

When greeting someone and say I am soo happy to see you and you are my favorite Elder. (Kissfist)

When talking about food like pizza, you express your favorite pizza with a kissfist and say I love pizza so much. It's good. That is the way we sign when we are happy.

It is almost like love but it actually is the word for like very much. That is the expression to show how you feel about things or persons with a passion. Get it? :cool2:

Metal-angel and I were discussing teaching discrepancies, we have 3 different (Deaf) ASL teachers teaching our program; two do things similarly, the third has some signs she does differently and will insist that her way is the only correct one! It can be confusing trying to remember who did what which way.

Back