some hearing people still thinks....

Hermes, when you came on in the introduction thread. I was hoping that you are not one of the audists who are ignorant to our Deaf experiences going through difficult time with hearing people. The way you sound is like you are expecting us to be like the hearing people which I have repeated many times, to have certain "human rights" instead of Deaf rights. We are not like you and we don't expect to have special favors or be special as meaning be different as being deaf. There are lots of other disabilities people have voice for their rights and they can call whatever they want to name before the rights. We, Deafies, chose to call Deaf rights to sent a message across that we want access to ASL and obtaining interpreters. We have tried doing a lot of things capable of like jobs, families, owning homes, driving cars, manage our money in the bank and etc. and hearing people don't think we can handle like they do. They think we are soooo dumb and that we can not function which are not true. The fact of the matter is we could not hear if you know what is deafness or losing hearing loss. Try closing your ears with some kind of ear muffs or cotton your ears. If you understand and respect us as Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, saying that we are voicing our concern not getting our rights to access when hearing people refuse to provide necessary accommodations so that we can understand them and not get frustrated. You don't have to leave the AllDeaf forum. We thought hearing people want to learn about our Deaf Culture and interest in learning ASL or any sign language. That is why they are welcome to come into AD to learn from us as we have told you and every hearing person about our experiences going through difficult times trying to understand hearing people. We were left out many times over with no understanding what they say and that is very frustrating. We don't like it when the hearies don't respect us for making us lipread 24/7 and they would say "never mind" when we cou))ld not understand what they said and that left us out cold or get left out. You are still welcome no matter what. Like Botts said respect us and learn from us. Just don't be like the audists. Thank you. :)ty:)

Hermes, when you came on in the introduction thread. I was hoping that you are not one of the audists who are ignorant to our Deaf experiences going through difficult time with hearing people. The way you sound is like you are expecting us to be like the hearing people which I have repeated many times, to have certain "human rights" instead of Deaf rights. We are not like you and we don't expect to have special favors or be special as meaning be different as being deaf. There are lots of other disabilities people have voice for their rights and they can call whatever they want to name before the rights. We, Deafies, chose to call Deaf rights to sent a message across that we want access to ASL and obtaining interpreters. We have tried doing a lot of things capable of like jobs, families, owning homes, driving cars, manage our money in the bank and etc. and hearing people don't think we can handle like they do. They think we are soooo dumb and that we can not function which are not true. The fact of the matter is we could not hear if you know what is deafness or losing hearing loss. Try closing your ears with some kind of ear muffs or cotton your ears. If you understand and respect us as Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, saying that we are voicing our concern not getting our rights to access when hearing people refuse to provide necessary accommodations so that we can understand them and not get frustrated. You don't have to leave the AllDeaf forum. We thought hearing people want to learn about our Deaf Culture and interest in learning ASL or any sign language. That is why they are welcome to come into AD to learn from us as we have told you and every hearing person about our experiences going through difficult times trying to understand hearing people. We were left out many times over with no understanding what they say and that is very frustrating. We don't like it when the hearies don't respect us for making us lipread 24/7 and they would say "never mind" when we cou))ld not understand what they said and that left us out cold or get left out. You are still welcome no matter what. Like Botts said respect us and learn from us. Just don't be like the audists. Thank you. :)ty:)

Everything you said above is very understandable , even though they have got nothing to do with what I said in this thread. I didnt say anything about deaf rights or being dumb, or lipreading here. I believe you made a general summery.

I find something interesting in your post that I will ask you to bring more examples about. I believe since this is also "why hearing people still thinks..." thread it will help the original subject too.

Here is the question: Can you bring me an example of where I requested anybody to be like another person or like myself? You can read everything I have said.

This is important because we will see if it becomes "dont expect us to be like you" the moment you dislike something , or if I really was mistreating somebody. If I was, then you will be helping me to correct myself too.

Please let me ask you another question. Do you think if a deaf person said the same thing I said in this thread (my first post) , he would still get the reaction I got from you and another person? Lets understand it very clearly together. If it was a deaf person who was posting it, what were you going to tell him "you expect us to be like...? " like what? Is my "this is a human problem" opinion problem here, or is it the fact that I can hear?

Lets give a chance to understand each other.

Hermes

Last edited:
By the way Bebo, may I call you Bebo, my questions above for understanding each other better on a different subject. But you explain a lot in your last post and please do not think I ignored them. They are very enlightining and I mean it.

Thank you
Hermes

By the way Bebo, may I call you Bebo, my questions above for understanding each other better on a different subject. But you explain a lot in your last post and please do not think I ignored them. They are very enlightining and I mean it.

Thank you
Hermes

Yes, you may call me Bebo. Thank-you for telling me that my threads are very enlightening. I believe you. As for the other subjects on other thread that you are giving me questions. Let me ponder and try to answer your questions otherwise the questions you post are kind of difficult to grasp for me. I also noticed in another post that you are a thinker which mean you like to study what everybody thinks too. Don't let anyone kick you out yet unless you want to leave AllDeaf. :cool2:

You are welcome.
Bebonang :deaf:

Everything you said above is very understandable , even though they have got nothing to do with what I said in this thread. I didnt say anything about deaf rights or being dumb, or lipreading here. I believe you made a general summery.

I find something interesting in your post that I will ask you to bring more examples about. I believe since this is also "why hearing people still thinks..." thread it will help the original subject too.

Here is the question: Can you bring me an example of where I requested anybody to be like another person or like myself? You can read everything I have said.

This is important because we will see if it becomes "dont expect us to be like you" the moment you dislike something , or if I really was mistreating somebody. If I was, then you will be helping me to correct myself too.

Please let me ask you another question. Do you think if a deaf person said the same thing I said in this thread (my first post) , he would still get the reaction I got from you and another person? Lets understand it very clearly together. If it was a deaf person who was posting it, what were you going to tell him "you expect us to be like...? " like what? Is my "this is a human problem" opinion problem here, or is it the fact that I can hear?

Lets give a chance to understand each other.

Hermes

Well, I remembered you said I don't expect to be like you if you are not interest in communicating in sign language. I guess is because like every First Nations or different tribes in different reservations the white people made us to be like them in cutting our hairs, clothes to wear and speak English instead of our native language, not allowed to go home to our parents, and give up our traditional spiritual creator and dances. We have suffered for over 500 years. For me I was force to lipread and to speak which I have a loud voice and very funny sound to my voice. There was no sign language interpreters and no notetakers. I started in full time in the hearing classroom in 10th grade to 12th grade with no interpreters at all. They expect us to lipread the teachers and students never knowing what silence is like and lipreading is very difficult to grasp and I get lost many times over and over. When white people came over to Canada and United States and also South America, they were greedy on getting gold and taking the land without asking us. They should be the one to change like us if they are interest in surviving and want to be like us. No one should change everyone regardless how different we are. As for the disabilities whether in handicapped, blind and deaf, they tried and still trying to change us to be normal like hearing person, which is a grog. The hearing people don't know what silence is like at all. We tried to explain to them but they don't believe us and that we can hear with the hearing aids or CI. We only hear sounds (noises), not pick up words. We are, still, remaining Deaf and Hard of Hearing for the rest of our life. There is no miracle to be able to hear normal. I hope you understand what I am saying here. :cool2:

Bebo, can you please quote (copy paste) what I said or give a link so I can remember where I said what. Thank you :ty: (wow my first sign and its virtual)

Besides that I will tell you a real story. When I was a kid I went to a school which claimed to teach lots of things to students (this was their concept of good education) The problem was how they did it. Teachers were assigining hunders of pages and keeping you responsible. Thats it, no creative teaching, no discussions. Read from the book and teacher will ask you questions in the class or teacher reads some in the class.

Duh, why we need a school for this? If all you are going to do will be saying read next 100 pages this week, I could do it myself. Plus it was obivious most of us were not able to memorize that much of a thing in short amount of time either. But they were doing for getting out of responsbility. They didnt know how to teach , so they were saying , we gave them everything but kids couldnt learn. I believe if they tried to teach less , kids would at least be more interested in learning and actually really learn something.

The problem is, they couldnt accept it, because the moment they do , It becomes obivous that they dont know how to teach , and the reason of their existence perish. So its better in " we tried but he, she can not learn it " way. Then they can keep trying and trying. It doesnt have to work , because while they are trying , they still have a role to play.

I think families do it to their deaf children because they dont want kids to run into their seperated world and hide there. Of course they do not realize just by putting the kid in hearing world will not make her social. She still will isolate herself while surronded by hearing people. So what they try to avoid becomes reality but by then its not their fault anymore (they think).. They tried but kid couldnt do it.

Topic of this thread says "Some hearing people still thinks deaf is dumb". I do know you are not. But then I am wondering really how many deaf people out there who never reached their true potential because of the mistakes you described.

Hermes

Bebo, can you please quote (copy paste) what I said or give a link so I can remember where I said what. Thank you :ty: (wow my first sign and its virtual)

Besides that I will tell you a real story. When I was a kid I went to a school which claimed to teach lots of things to students (this was their concept of good education) The problem was how they did it. Teachers were assigining hunders of pages and keeping you responsible. Thats it, no creative teaching, no discussions. Read from the book and teacher will ask you questions in the class or teacher reads some in the class.

Duh, why we need a school for this? If all you are going to do will be saying read next 100 pages this week, I could do it myself. Plus it was obivious most of us were not able to memorize that much of a thing in short amount of time either. But they were doing for getting out of responsbility. They didnt know how to teach , so they were saying , we gave them everything but kids couldnt learn. I believe if they tried to teach less , kids would at least be more interested in learning and actually really learn something.

The problem is, they couldnt accept it, because the moment they do , It becomes obivous that they dont know how to teach , and the reason of their existence perish. So its better in " we tried but he, she can not learn it " way. Then they can keep trying and trying. It doesnt have to work , because while they are trying , they still have a role to play.

I think families do it to their deaf children because they dont want kids to run into their seperated world and hide there. Of course they do not realize just by putting the kid in hearing world will not make her social. She still will isolate herself while surronded by hearing people. So what they try to avoid becomes reality but by then its not their fault anymore (they think).. They tried but kid couldnt do it.

Topic of this thread says "Some hearing people still thinks deaf is dumb". I do know you are not. But then I am wondering really how many deaf people out there who never reached their true potential because of the mistakes you described.

Hermes

U couldnt be farther from the truth...I am one of them who didnt reach their true potential among with many of my deaf/hoh friends.

U couldnt be farther from the truth...I am one of them who didnt reach their true potential among with many of my deaf/hoh friends.

Shel, So am I too far away from the truth? If thats what you meant , can you please elaborate which part is farther from the truth?

Thank you
Hermes

Shel, So am I too far away from the truth? If thats what you meant , can you please elaborate which part is farther from the truth?

Thank you
Hermes

Oooopss...see what happens to overworked teachers..we stop making sense. I meant to say " you couldn't be closer to the truth"...now iam confusing myself. What I meant u couldn't be more right about that statement.

Haahaa...that question was thrown in my face one day at work and my answer was "why yes I am as a matter of fact. You have a problem with that?" I wish i had taken a photo of their face, it was priceless.:jaw:

Some hearing poeple would say to other hearing like "Are you deaf, or something?" in a insulting way.

I have had someone intro me to someone and she said " This is John and he's deaf and dumb" and I stepped in, saying with my voice " Excuse me, I can speak, I an not the dumb one, you are" .

I have had someone intro me to someone and she said " This is John and he's deaf and dumb" and I stepped in, saying with my voice " Excuse me, I can speak, I an not the dumb one, you are" .

Good lord, what century WAS she living in? :shock: Glad you set her straight. Hope she wasn't anyone close to you like a friend or something.

I deffinitely believe that it is poor education why most hearing people make comments like that or think less of Deaf. I honestly wasn't educated very well and it wasn't until I started taking ASL that I knew how wrong I was and that is why I am wanting to educate myself better and eventually be able to spred that education through out the Hearing community to show them how it really is and how wrong they have been.

I deffinitely believe that it is poor education why most hearing people make comments like that or think less of Deaf. I honestly wasn't educated very well and it wasn't until I started taking ASL that I knew how wrong I was and that is why I am wanting to educate myself better and eventually be able to spred that education through out the Hearing community to show them how it really is and how wrong they have been.

nah i disagree, its not solely education, thats not in the bigger picture, but yes education has a significant part to play in the construction of misconceptions, misunderstanding even ignorance, but its not the whole picture, it is social and historical and political matter and dare i say but for most of you wont get it -it's ideological !!

nah i disagree, its not solely education, thats not in the bigger picture, but yes education has a significant part to play in the construction of misconceptions, misunderstanding even ignorance, but its not the whole picture, it is social and historical and political matter and dare i say but for most of you wont get it -it's ideological !!

This ideology , I would like to understand what you are saying further. Is there a name of it? What are the motivations and goals of this ideology you mentioned?

Thanks
Hermes

Holy cow! :eek3:

I have had someone I was speaking to and spoke back to me say to someone else that I am deaf-mute when I needed help getting to a place. I told her that I am not. She just gets uncomfortable. I don't understand brain connection. I speak to her. She speaks to me, then tell someone I am deaf-mute? HUH?!

LOL! If someone ever said something like that... I would get furious with them. I mean wtf do you have the right to say that. Ok, he's deaf but dumb... I'm sure he's hell alot smarter then you are *_*

Hearing people, honestly make me wanna smack them :lol:

Back