Some Deaf People Ask for Money

Endymion said:
Okay I'm a bit confused. You mean she intentionally overcharged you?

Not at all. The price previously stated was picked out of the Bag of Vaguer associated with remembering the events. She charged me for the drink itself, if you can actually believe that. I mean... just think about it... for God's sake, she... charged... me.... for......... the............. DRINK! The DRINK!

I declare this a direct violation of the unwritten bylaw that dictates "a bro should hook a bro up." How are we to advance into the space-migration-intelligence-increase-life-extension (aka S.M.I^2.L.E.) age if we can't hook a fellow deaf nigga up? Anyone with me?

ewheat said:
...As a deaf person, I've never been so outraged at such a blatant display of taking advantage of one of his/her own. Anyone with me?
In other words, you expected to take advantage of her instead, and get a free drink for your poor deaf self?

Yes it happened to me one time in NYC bus station. Boy this guy came up to me and my exb and asking us to pay a dollar for abc card. So I signed to him why should I buy it if I know how to do ABC?? He gupled and chatted away with us for a bit and later on asking to buy a dollar again. So I grabbed my exb and telling him we are running late for our bus. Bye bye peddlers. I hate them.

ewheat said:
One time i was sitting in a coffee shop. The cute girl behind the counter was deaf, but she didn't know ASL just signed english. That's pretty typical for a hot deaf waitress/clerk/soda jerk working miles away from the closest school, but hey I'm not complaining. At least she knew her signs. Anyway, she asked me to give her $5.99 for my Venti Mocha Frap. I don't have to explain any futher.

As a deaf person, I've never been so outraged at such a blatant display of taking advantage of one of his/her own. Anyone with me?

Not at all. The price previously stated was picked out of the Bag of Vaguer associated with remembering the events. She charged me for the drink itself, if you can actually believe that. I mean... just think about it... for God's sake, she... charged... me.... for......... the............. DRINK! The DRINK!

I declare this a direct violation of the unwritten bylaw that dictates "a bro should hook a bro up." How are we to advance into the space-migration-intelligence-increase-life-extension (aka S.M.I^2.L.E.) age if we can't hook a fellow deaf nigga up? Anyone with me?
Today 03:16 AM

I'm sorry, but doesn't make sense. It sounds like the lady was doing her job properly, and you, as a customer, was expected to pay for the cup you ordered. That's normal. Just because you are deaf doesn't mean she'll take pity on you and let you have a free cup, even if she is deaf herself. She treated you just like she treat anyone coming in to buy food and drink, that is all.

I met one at JFK airport in 1995. I started talking with him for awhile. He was kind of lonely. He gave me a card without asking for money. I knew he was selling them but didn't bother telling him to get a job.

Oh I forgot. He was Deaf from some Central American country. Forgot which one. He knew enough ASL.

Back