Some bad news on my CI update

Steve, as a person who is fortunate enough to have partial hearing, I can assure you that the audio quality that can be expected with a CI is mediocre at best. Here are some simulations of what a cochlear implantee hears. Maybe you can have other people give you feedback on what they sound like. Even at 32 channels, the samples sound like bad AM radio drift. I strongly encourage you to keep pursuing speechreading training as an adjunct to implantation.

Deaf258 said:
Doctors are being careful today because they don't want to be blamed or sued by disappointed people with high expectations.

That's a one smart doctor! And I really mean it!

I agree with you!!! I picked the right audiologist and right ENT Surgeron. They knew what they are doing. They questioned me and knew I was all ready for having CI. Plus I've been researched for a long time also asked CI ppl questions too. I got the answers that I was expecting to know. I knew myself that IF I couldn't hear at all, I accept it. I know it would be disappointed but accept. I have positive attitude. So now, I can hear with CI. I am relieved.

*sorry if I went off the point* ;)

Uh oh... :eek:

Everyone take cover! Ravensteve1961 is going to start blaming God!

VamPyroX said:
Uh oh... :eek:

Everyone take cover! Ravensteve1961 is going to start blaming God!

The Doctor!! Don't forget the Doctor is gonna get blamed, too!

george_burns2.jpg

GOD!

Ravensteve,

CI's aren't all peaches and cream. If you're frustrated now, I can just IMAGINE how pissed off you'll be when they turn that thing on. :) Just take the time to prepare yourself further, ravensteve. While I admire your (foolish)boldness, you need to keep in mind that the CI is only a different approach, not a cure for deafness. I am sorry you are having a hard time coping with your hearing loss, but jumping into something you know nothing about is only inviting more and more grief.

I have a CI myself. If you want to, you can read my own horror stories. They're posted in this forum somewhere. I will supply links if you want. PM me if you're interested.

Steve.

There you may want to learn some of the horror stories. I have few friends who have CI. One is doing good with it and she is very happy with it. The other one in other word is a horror and still happy with it. She had 2 CI. First she had one done in Boston, Ma and then it didnt work out well. Then she had the other done not sure where. After she moved to Florida. First CI started to drain out of her CI. So the doctor had to removed it and close up the hole. And got infested. The other one is not working right so she is going to get it done. I will talk to her and see if she can come in and explain this situation to you. She also told me that she have heard that one person from the other countries have dies from it cuz the infestion. So you might want to consider the possiblty of the health risk. Good luck!!

Malfoyish said:
you can read my own horror stories. They're posted in this forum somewhere.

Horror stories? where?!! :naughty:

You gotta RELEARN how to hear, just like a newborn with different sounds it does not sound the same to the real ear or to the hearing aid.

it took you many years to learn how to hear when you were a kid, its a ongoing learning process it is same with CI your ear will be adjusting to the different sounds and so on....

with patience and hard work, you will get somewhere.

I'm an ex-CI user and is in the process of getting a new BTE because it is more convient than the big processor I had back then. I remember the first time I was hooked up and being able to hear something was just amazing but after the novelity worn out as I perferred the silent world myself as I am facing career choices that requires hearing for my safety and others safety... I'm being realistic with my goal of being able to hear someone coming or the door bell when I first rehook up with the CI.... then meet higher goals later on .

Hope that helps?

Hearing will not be restored 100%. I don't know much about CI, but I doubt it is the same as hearing. What you hear and what I hear will be two different things.
Yes.....unless you're late deafened (had lots of time hearing as a hearing person) the CI's audio quailty is NOT like "hearing" as a hearing person or hearing with hearing aids. We who are dhh who hear through implants and aids do not hear at all like hearing people! Even I don't and I only have a conductive loss! I do know they are researching how to make the sound heard through implants more nautral (CI MEMs) If you're going into this expecting a cure, and hoping that you'll be able to hear like a hearing person, you're gonna be sorely disappointed!

raven... i suggust u to take some research in many different website.. i'll PM you which ones.

also I was also having interview with audiologist, surgeon, and physicalogy eveluation (sp?) which is required.. anyway all 3 of them are saying same thing (its not a cure) also explaining how things work and what it is different between hearing aids. Anyway i am also required to tell them why i want it, what will i expect from it, and what will i do if i'm not successful with it.

this is some thing u need to think it over about.

IMPRESSED with that doc! :) Ravensteve--- GROW UP EARS DONT REPAIRS God put you in this position for A PURPOSE---- so ACCEPT IT OR YOUR LOSS! *rme*

Yes, ravensteve.....MANY of us here have gone through what you're going through right now. It wasn't until I was seventeen or eighteen that I accepted myself as hard of hearing. Until then, I wanted desperately to be hearing. There is nothing wrong with being hoh or deaf....and you need to accept that in yourself. I understand your frustration.....until very recently we hoh kids were automaticly shoved into the hearing world, and taught to idealize hearing/hearing world/hearing culture as perfection.......unless we grew up in a Deaf family we didn't get that stuff, and we suffer social-emoitonally.....but go and talk to a psychcologist. Learn about the positive side of being Deaf....accept your disabilty as not something that needs to be overcome, but as something that you can live with and adapt to!

Well I really dont know anything much about CI, but my cousin had a CI. I remember she was telling me a long time ago that she wish she didn't have CI, but she had to live with it. She was saying that she could able to hear some, but not much so I suggest you to learn some more about CI and ask doctors some more questions too before you decide to have surgery for CI. If I was you, I wouldn't get CI because God is the one who makes us and we have to accept it no matter what if we are deaf or hearing. But it is up to you, if you want CI then go for it...If you don't want CI then don't go for it. Thats two choices you have to pick one.....

Ravensteve,

Did you know that your posts in any threads since few months confuse me totally!!!!!!!!!

At first you said that you lost hearing to deaf at 3 months ago.
At second you said that you lost hearing when you was 5 years old.
At third you said that you lost hearing to deaf when you was 25 years old.
At fourth you said you wear hearing aid for 38 years and happy with it.
At fifth you complaint over deafness.

Which exactly do you really want!!!!!

Because I dont know what you really want. :ugh2:

***shake the head and walk off***

Liebling:-))) said:
Ravensteve,

Did you know that your posts in any threads since few months confuse me totally!!!!!!!!!

At first you said that you lost hearing to deaf at 3 months ago.
At second you said that you lost hearing when you was 5 years old.
At third you said that you lost hearing to deaf when you was 25 years old.
At fourth you said you wear hearing aid for 38 years and happy with it.
At fifth you complaint over deafness.

Which exactly do you really want!!!!!

Because I dont know what you really want. :ugh2:

***shake the head and walk off***
That's exactly why I just laugh whenever I hear him whine about becoming deaf. Ever heard of the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"? That's exactly what's happening here. ;)

Back