Soft or Hard Ear Molds?

Dodge Trucker

Reaction score
Hi there! I am a long time reader and I need help!! I've grown up using soft ear molds and I have always had problems with it such as too much wax buildup, mold sliding out...etc etc etc. Im going into a hearing aid mold laboratory tomorrow to see about doing hard ear mold. Can any one suggest why I should try it or NOT try using hard ear mold? Too much pressure uncomfortable?? The lab does have gurantee saying that If I come in early enough tomorrow, they can make hard mold in few hours and try it on. If I don't like it, they will go ahead and make soft ear mold but send it off. Only thing is, hard mold cost 75 dollars and soft ear mold cost 150 so if I dont like the hard, I just pay the extra 75 at time of pickup.

Any one have suggestions for hard or soft mold? I am 75% and 80% deaf in my ears.

I say soft. I had years of agony and pressure causing infection from hard molds. I can hardly express how much soft earmolds have improved my happiness.

I have the hard ones and I have never had problems with sweat or anything, i think they are comforable..my friend wears ha's too and and she likes my molds better than her soft ones...but i am not sure if your loss will accomodate a hard mold..u might not be able to have a vent or if u do a small one cuz usually hard molds aren't as suited for sever/profound losses, but some people with those losses do still wear them, i say try them out if you think it's uncomfortable then go with the soft ones but just ask for a tighter fit so they won't slip out..wax u cant really help i dont think cuz any mold is gonna plug up ur ear which causes more wax production

It's normal to have a wax in outer ear. You have to use a swab or q-tip to clean it out before you put earmold in. You must clean your ears before wear HA. After you get your ha off for go bed. You have to use rag to clean your ears to prevent of oil, grease and build the wax.

I have soft earmolds. I never have had hard earmolds before. I am comfortable with soft.

I've had both and different types of soft mold.

Soft mold - Yes it does slip out, which is why audiologist really should make it pretty snug fit. I've only had ONE wonderful soft mold, perfect seal, perfect fit...alas...it bares the marks of my cat's teeth.

Hard mold - There is one brand that is hard, and it kind of "soften" up with the body heat. I found this to be good. Not the best, but good. Other hard mold, hurts. If you're young, your ears grow...and it continues to grow until you die. So, unless if you replace your molds every 6 months, it's not worth it because your ear would "outgrow" it, then it will be uncomfortable.

Also, the very hard mold tend to hurt a little when I laugh big or open my mouth very wide. Stick your finger in your ear, and open you mouth wide...feel the jaw bone moving? Well...if you have hard, imagine feeling that.

So, If there's some sort of "trial", go for it. You have nothing to lose actually.

Wax build up - see if you can ask your audiologist to have them drill a hole next to the tubing...to allow air escape. I heard that helps. I never had it done as I don't need it.

Good luck!

I've had both and different types of soft mold.

Soft mold - Yes it does slip out, which is why audiologist really should make it pretty snug fit. I've only had ONE wonderful soft mold, perfect seal, perfect fit...alas...it bares the marks of my cat's teeth.

Hard mold - There is one brand that is hard, and it kind of "soften" up with the body heat. I found this to be good. Not the best, but good. Other hard mold, hurts. If you're young, your ears grow...and it continues to grow until you die. So, unless if you replace your molds every 6 months, it's not worth it because your ear would "outgrow" it, then it will be uncomfortable.

Also, the very hard mold tend to hurt a little when I laugh big or open my mouth very wide. Stick your finger in your ear, and open you mouth wide...feel the jaw bone moving? Well...if you have hard, imagine feeling that.

So, If there's some sort of "trial", go for it. You have nothing to lose actually.

Wax build up - see if you can ask your audiologist to have them drill a hole next to the tubing...to allow air escape. I heard that helps. I never had it done as I don't need it.

Good luck!

It called earmold with "Vent"

When I was abt k-6th grade, I used to have hard ear molds after I started to play a lot sports, I use soft ones and now, I'm still using the same thing.

I am deaf, with a very profound loss in both ears. I have hard earmolds so it CAN be done. I am allergic to all the soft ones which really sucks because I find the hard ones to be uncomfortable. My audiologist has been great though and I think there is one last place to grind down a bit and then they should be perfect.

They are worth a shot, but they are less comfortable than soft molds.

I have both, a soft mold with the HA on my left ear and a hard skeleton mold for my CI on the right ear. When I was a kid I used mostly hard molds because the soft molds of the time would just shrink while my ear canal will grow.

LadySek's post pretty much sums up what I would say (very good post, Lady!) The only thing I can add is that when I had a vent in my molds, I'd get the sqeal so we'd have to close it up and not use it. Now I am in CICs and they are hard but they don't hurt. It's all about the fit.

Had Hard moulds while growing up until i got my digitals the audi gave me soft molds to try... man that was so much better as i have senstive ears, every time my ear itches, the hard mold would rub my skin raw. I had soft molds for 10 years now would never have hards again (Profoundly deaf all my life).

Just a small warning.... i was told not to completely clean your ears of wax, just if it's blocked, get audi/doc/nurse to look and possible clean it out or put few drops of olive oil yourself as they will shift the excess wax by itself. If you use Cotton wool (q-tips to Americans) buds they are very harsh on the skin and can cause infections/again if you remove too much wax there is no protection on the skin in the ear canal... and easily attracts dirt/germs from outside/earmolds. Try not to get shampoo/soap in the ears aswell.

I had hard molds for a long time. Now, I use the soft ones which seems better because the hard ones, sometimes, make a high pitch feedbacks when I smile or open my jaw like a yawn.

My soft mold contains a tiny piece of metal ring inside the mold to "lock" the plastic tube so that the tube would not come out. I never heard of this one.

I also have a "moon" ear mold which is much better than a full ear mold.

I always have a feeling that the soft mold contains a little toxic in it, and I did not want to say that I am wrong. I have a gut feeling about it.

A small drawback for both the soft & hard mold, sometimes it hurt my ear, and I had to rub it off with a nail file. I advise you to tell your audiologist to make the ear mold's end insert short that might be worth it. This is what I have now, and I'm just happy with it.

I think that it is a good idea for you to try the hard ones for now so that you will get the idea next time.

My soft mold contains a tiny piece of metal ring inside the mold to "lock" the plastic tube so that the tube would not come out. I never heard of this one.

A small drawback for both the soft & hard mold, sometimes it hurt my ear, and I had to rub it off with a nail file. I advise you to tell your audiologist to make the ear mold's end insert short that might be worth it. This is what I have now, and I'm just happy with it.

Interesting - I had long ends for a long time, until I went to HearX (run of mill HA dispenser). He made me short ones, and I hated it because it would squeal, fall out, and feels like I'm not getting enough sound. I went back, and asked him that I wanted a much longer one. It was just so much better. Of course, now I have CI, I don't use it...so I like my ears so nice and airy. :)

Interesting - I had long ends for a long time, until I went to HearX (run of mill HA dispenser). He made me short ones, and I hated it because it would squeal, fall out, and feels like I'm not getting enough sound. I went back, and asked him that I wanted a much longer one. It was just so much better. Of course, now I have CI, I don't use it...so I like my ears so nice and airy. :)

Oh really! You are so lucky that you don't wear ear molds anymore. I am a little bit jealous of you that I always want my ears feel free and airy. ;)

Do you clean your ears and/or your ear molds regularly?

Hi there! I am a long time reader and I need help!! I've grown up using soft ear molds and I have always had problems with it such as too much wax buildup, mold sliding out...etc etc etc. Im going into a hearing aid mold laboratory tomorrow to see about doing hard ear mold. Can any one suggest why I should try it or NOT try using hard ear mold? Too much pressure uncomfortable?? The lab does have gurantee saying that If I come in early enough tomorrow, they can make hard mold in few hours and try it on. If I don't like it, they will go ahead and make soft ear mold but send it off. Only thing is, hard mold cost 75 dollars and soft ear mold cost 150 so if I dont like the hard, I just pay the extra 75 at time of pickup.

Any one have suggestions for hard or soft mold? I am 75% and 80% deaf in my ears.

I would recommend soft earmolds for severe/profound losses. Hard earmolds tend to produce more feedback

Hard Molds

I went in and the audiologist made me hard lucite molds. She made them fit perfect. It's been about 2 hours now and the molds still are "in". No squealing or feedback. Only thing I HATE is when wind blows strong, cant hear so have to get my hearing aid "out of direction" of where wind is blowing and then I'm fine. Used to that even with soft molds as well. I have Clear molds and feels good. She did say that if it starts to feel uncomfortable or whatever to call her and come back in and she'll make the soft ones.
Also I left my hearing aid with her and she opened it up and said my microphone was so PACKED with dirt and stuff she cleaned it out for me no charge. Put in my mold fit good and snug. For LONG time my volume used to be on 5 (can go up to 7 but after 5 starts squealing) but now I was like DAMN too loud!! turn down to 3 1/2 almost 4 and can hear better now. She STRONGLY emphasized that I think about going CI route. Politely told her thank you for suggestion, but no thanks.
MY mold is full ear mold with no vents. Yes I clean my ears regularly with Q tip and every once a while use peroxide down my ears to break up any wax. Feels lots lots of bubbly when peroxide goes down and ears feel better. So I will try out the hard ones for a while since I've used soft all my life. Audiologist even said herself she feels I will like using the hard ones even tho she always recommend soft to people with profound loss.

I have never used a soft earmold so I can't respond to that. I have a hard one and it doesn't really bother me that much, except for the itch that always comes in my ear off and on throughout the day. Now that is Really annoying..bought the anti itch ear creams too..but they don't last as long as I would like them to.:(

The hard molds are best imo, but only if you can have them fitted properly. They need to be very, very exact when they take the casting, or whatever its called.

The tubing should fit very snug on the mold. They can heat the tubing up when inserting it in to make it fit more solid, tight, and strong.

They are best because imo because they don't yellow and they are easier to clean. You can put them in really hot water, in most cases, when cleaning them and they wont melt or soften at all.

I wear the soft molds and have no problems with them, except the natural oils and wax in your ears discolors the mold. Tried the hard molds, got constant feedback everytime I smiled or opened my mouth. The wife said to just keep my mouth shut. :)

Lee

Back