Social Security Disability Reviews After C.I.

... this is old news, even older news that hearings is always finding excuses to give us less and less, as some kind of punishment...its cruel...but that just goes to show that we are indeed NOT in an 'enlightened society' as we're lead to think...

Yup. Nothing new under the sun.

I am on SSDAC stand for Social Security Disability of Adult and Children with medicare. I got CI since last summer. It's nothing affect to my SSDAC. Because I don't have job.

Are u able to get a job?

The question is, if you are able to work, have you tried to look for a job?

With the economy the way it is these day's its slim pickin to get a job for anyone.. much less someone with a "disability"

Keep in mind that the social security administration has also determined that a diabetic who can manage their blood sugar with insulin is no longer disabled because their blood sugar is controlled.:roll:

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
people with Ci's on SS... wow, unheard of...

I used to think that's the very thing they are trying to avoid..little did they know that oral only need alot of financial support or they will purely deaf without accessible communication if they can't afford hearing aids or processors.

Wirelessly posted

I used to think that's the very thing they are trying to avoid..little did they know that oral only need alot of financial support or they will purely deaf without accessible communication if they can't afford hearing aids or processors.

Yep. Cis have more or less been promoted that way. They have discovered, however, that most people with CIs need just as many accommodations.

people with Ci's on SS... wow, unheard of...

Based on some of the hearing parents' statements about deaf people with CIs, these people shouldnt be recieving SSI at all. They should be able to get jobs so what's wrong with the picture? *end sarcasm*

Your situation sounds like what I went through exactly! I am 46 years old and at the age of 42 I started losing my hearing very rapidly - at one point I had two hearing aids (BTE) but my hearing loss was so quick (I went from 30% hearing to 5% in a matter of months) the aids just did helps at all! I eventually lost all of my hearing during the night - the doctors have no explanation for it, no other reported cases for it, I didn't have a stroke, my nerves were fine, bones were fine, just completely deaf. After five months of insurance denials, I was FINALLY approved for bilateral CI's. In the meantime, I applied for disability and was rush approved because I lost all income and NO one wanted to hire me - NO ONE! I had paid into it for 25 years, loved my career and in a motter of months my career was ripped out from under me (as well as my self-esteem). I was told as long as I was 80% deaf or more I was automatically approved. I have looked for work in the meantime but I still cannot hear very well. The left implant does not work at all (constant noise), the right implant does not provide noise cancellation so I hear EVERYTHING. Implants were not the way to go. I get headaches, I'm constantly depressed, I'm a recluse, I have stinging, sharp pain, I can't hear, I rely very heavily on a notepad. I went through surgery for something that didn't work very well.

can anyone of you who lost heairng at a much later, and change the job from high job if you couldnt handle then to work as a clerk or something basic things than applying for a SS benefit?? I just wonder.

Your situation sounds like what I went through exactly! I am 46 years old and at the age of 42 I started losing my hearing very rapidly - at one point I had two hearing aids (BTE) but my hearing loss was so quick (I went from 30% hearing to 5% in a matter of months) the aids just did helps at all! I eventually lost all of my hearing during the night - the doctors have no explanation for it, no other reported cases for it, I didn't have a stroke, my nerves were fine, bones were fine, just completely deaf. After five months of insurance denials, I was FINALLY approved for bilateral CI's. In the meantime, I applied for disability and was rush approved because I lost all income and NO one wanted to hire me - NO ONE! I had paid into it for 25 years, loved my career and in a motter of months my career was ripped out from under me (as well as my self-esteem). I was told as long as I was 80% deaf or more I was automatically approved. I have looked for work in the meantime but I still cannot hear very well. The left implant does not work at all (constant noise), the right implant does not provide noise cancellation so I hear EVERYTHING. Implants were not the way to go. I get headaches, I'm constantly depressed, I'm a recluse, I have stinging, sharp pain, I can't hear, I rely very heavily on a notepad. I went through surgery for something that didn't work very well.

Quite frankly, for someone with your hearing history.... it sounds like something went wrong somewhere in the pipeline regarding your implants. It could be the surgery was not optimal. It could be your programming is not suitable.

Which implant do you have? I can't speak for Cochlear Ltd other than knowing they don't have many options in the way of strategies, but I can say there are quite a few adjustments that can be made with Advanced Bionics that can make a world of difference. Clear Voice was just released in the U.S. and does noise cancellation via strategy, which is far more effective than a dual mic solution.

Regardless of implant though, learning to hear in noise takes practice. I encourage you to keep pushing to figure out how to optimize your implants. You say implants weren't the way to go, but if you qualified for one, that also means if you wanted to hear.. there was no other way to go.

You have a hearing memory having been hearing most of your life.. a properly implanted/programmed CI should sound nearly normal and put you in the range of "mild hearing loss."

What have you done so far to rectify the problem?

can anyone of you who lost heairng at a much later, and change the job from high job if you couldnt handle then to work as a clerk or something basic things than applying for a SS benefit?? I just wonder.

Overqualified and underpaid? Are you kidding? But, it would really depend on how much a successful SSDI application would pay out versus minimum or living wages. SSI is a joke in all circumstances and a job is always better.

MG

If a CI user can hear and speak well, maybe SSA will decide that the person is able to work as long as the medical document says so.

I would imagine that in a few years someone would be asking a similar question, except based on eligibility after stem cell therapy - what to do if you lose SSDI and have the skills of a hearing teenager at age 55. Whooops...

I would imagine that in a few years someone would be asking a similar question, except based on eligibility after stem cell therapy - what to do if you lose SSDI and have the skills of a hearing teenager at age 55. Whooops...

:hmm:.....that's a humdinger...

Back