Sobriety Test and Visual Impairment

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read the article about surviving sobriety test:
How to Survive a Police Sobriety Test | eHow.com

Okay, three things: I don't drink alcohol-related beverages (beer, wine, etc.), I don't drive, and I'm visually impaired.

Because I can't control my eyes (well, I can blink my eyelid, but that's not part of step three, or is it?) but I can move my head, will I be able to pass the sobriety test if I pass all of the steps except step 3 due to not having skills to move my eyes (this is a visual impairment question)? This is one reason the police officers are doing their job to minimize public intoxication.

The reason why I don't drink is I don't want to touch a .08 blood-alcohol level, which is the legal limit in Florida -- not even a .04 as I want to keep the level down to .00 -- that is, out of my system. :)

I certainly want to stand up for myself by surviving a sobriety test, but step 3 in eHow.com worries me.

I read the article about surviving sobriety test:
How to Survive a Police Sobriety Test | eHow.com

Okay, three things: I don't drink alcohol-related beverages (beer, wine, etc.), I don't drive, and I'm visually impaired.

Because I can't control my eyes (well, I can blink my eyelid, but that's not part of step three, or is it?) but I can move my head, will I be able to pass the sobriety test if I pass all of the steps except step 3 due to not having skills to move my eyes (this is a visual impairment question)? This is one reason the police officers are doing their job to minimize public intoxication.

The reason why I don't drink is I don't want to touch a .08 blood-alcohol level, which is the legal limit in Florida -- not even a .04 as I want to keep the level down to .00 -- that is, out of my system. :)

I certainly want to stand up for myself by surviving a sobriety test, but step 3 in eHow.com worries me.

Why don't you either make a card that says that you are deafblind or visually impaired (or whatever term you prefer to use) and therefore cannot control your eyes, and laminate that card and keep it in your wallet so that if you are ever approached by a cop you can show it to him or her? OR wear a medical necklace or bracelet that says the same thing? I mean, you do have a legitimate medical condition that makes you not able to control your eyes, and you have the right to let the cop know this. If you are able to do everything else in the sobriety test that does not involve your eyes and pass them all, and the cop knows that you are deafblind then he or she should be able to let you go. I don't see why not.

If you ever want to get shitfaced, just make sure you have a place to stay for the night or something so that you won't be wandering home drunk, or you can have a party at YOUR place instead so you are home ALREADY. Then you would not have to worry about the sobriety tests if you stay inside.

I'm deafblind, and yes I do get stopped by the police sometimes but drinking isn't usually their concern.
It seems some people over react when they see a deafblind person taking a wrong turn. They call the police!

Remember that eye movement is only one component of the sobriety test. Many people have nystagmus (involuntary twitching of they eyes) and other eye control problems that do not prevent them from driving safely. If you are not intoxicated, you may take a breathalyzer test which will confirm your sobriety. All of the suggestions above are helpful, but the most valid may be carrying a note from your doctor attesting to your medical condition.

As a quadriplegic, I obviously can't perform the walking or balance portions of a sobriety test. Intelligent, reasonable law enforcement officers will take this into account.

Back