So You Think Lip Reading is Easy?

Journey

Reaction score
There have been many posts on the difficulty of lip reading and I recently encountered something that demonstrates the problem very clearly ... Bad Lip Reading Videos. Have you seen them before? I think they are brilliant :giggle:.

Here's one of Michael Buble's "I Just Haven't Met You Yet". "Russian Unicorn"

Here are the lyrics he is actually singing in the video. MICHAEL BUBLE LYRICS - Haven't Met You Yet

It is sooooo not easy. It is very tiring and for me, very stressful. My family just does not understand.

It depend upon who lips you're reading. I find some people easy to read and other hard. It can be tiring to do . I had a speech therapist and she told she was teaching a woman how to lips read and the woman could not believe how tired she got.

There have been many posts on the difficulty of lip reading and I recently encountered something that demonstrates the problem very clearly ... Bad Lip Reading Videos. Have you seen them before? I think they are brilliant :giggle:.

Here's one of Michael Buble's "I Just Haven't Met You Yet". "Russian Unicorn"

Here are the lyrics he is actually singing in the video. MICHAEL BUBLE LYRICS - Haven't Met You Yet

I Love those videos!!! There are some of Obama and other politicians too. ROFL! :lol:

I agree it's not easy depending on the person I'm lip reading. Some people are so easy to lip read I have no issues. Others forget it. I will not waste my time lip reading a person with a mustache or a beard. If I cannot see your lips you might as well speak in an alien language. Typically a person with a mustach/beard will think well, if I open my mouth wider she'll see what I'm saying. NO, NO, NO. It's gross for me to see whats left of your breakfast on your tounge, how many fillings you have and if I can see the back of your throat ugh! It's also offensive to do that to me as well.

The other kind of mouth is the kind that doesn't move or hardly moves. I cannot lip read someone who doesn't fully move their mouths to enunciate the O's and F's and whatever else comes out of there.

It's easier for me to read these types of people by their facial expressions and by watching their hands as well as watching from my side view to see how others respond to what is being said so I'll know to 1) laugh, 2) don't laugh 3) smile 4) don't smile..and so on.

I'm a copy cat. :) Try doing that ( to the hearing on here )

It's easier for me to read these types of people by their facial expressions and by watching their hands as well as watching from my side view to see how others respond to what is being said so I'll know to 1) laugh, 2) don't laugh 3) smile 4) don't smile..and so on.

I'm a copy cat. :) Try doing that ( to the hearing on here )

I admit, I grew up doing this a lot. Unfortunately I got caught a few times and chewed out because I didn't tell them I was not understanding. I only have so much energy, I prefer to use it were I wish and not have to fight to understand each and every single person around me. But as a kid I did not know this and just felt bad about it after. now... I pick my battles! :)

I remember a teacher I had in junior high who had a very large upper lip (well actually, the part above the lip and under the nose). I don't think I EVER saw that part of his mouth move... and I didn't even have to think about lip reading back then!

Not really easy, but manageable.

Lipreading is hard at first with individuals who sport a beard or have a heavy accent, but I find if I really really study their speech for a bit, I can crack their code. Well, just enough.

The one situation that leaves me completely stumped is people with their mouths wired shut for weightloss. Two separate times, I've met women who could not open their mouths and only speak through their teeth; talking with them was an epic disaster. At first, I'd think, "Why are you too lazy to move your mouth?" and feel really annoyed with them, but then it would dawn on me and I'd just avoid them completely. How can you politely say to someone who's struggling with their weight that you can't lipread them without pointing out their intensely sensitive culprit?

Lipreading is hard at first with individuals who sport a beard or have a heavy accent, but I find if I really really study their speech for a bit, I can crack their code. Well, just enough.

The one situation that leaves me completely stumped is people with their mouths wired shut for weightloss. Two separate times, I've met women who could not open their mouths and only speak through their teeth; talking with them was an epic disaster. At first, I'd think, "Why are you too lazy to move your mouth?" and feel really annoyed with them, but then it would dawn on me and I'd just avoid them completely. How can you politely say to someone who's struggling with their weight that you can't lipread them without pointing out their intensely sensitive culprit?

People actually wire their mouth shut for weight loss???? :shock:

I have a hard time lipreading people who wear sunglasses. Everyone is different, and some are easy to understand, some are not - some become easier to understand the longer I know them and some just are difficult always. I dated one guy for a year and never quite developed the ability to lipread him easily - he moved his lips so little but on the upside he was a wonderful writer/poet so I now have a book filled with his writings and notes that he wrote down during our dates.

One thing for sure - I think it should be mandatory for university professors to take public speaking classes before starting their jobs. They're the worst speakers.

Oh hell...I hate lip reading all the time..it make me sooo tired! I don't mind short time...

sometimes so hard to lip read if talk too fast or mouth closed..ugh...

That's strange he did:confused:n't follow correctly on the lyric note while he's singing in his video music :roll: I will have to listen again on the video to make sure clarify later on when I get back. Smthg doesn't look rt.

Last edited:
Oh hell...I hate lip reading all the time..it make me sooo tired! I don't mind short time...

sometimes so hard to lip read if talk too fast or mouth closed..ugh...

I agree, it is exhausting. Some people wonder why I just walk away in the middle of their ramblings. :giggle:

That's strange he did:confused:n't follow correctly on the lyric note while he's singing in his video music :roll: I will have to listen again on the video to make sure clarify later on when I get back. Smthg is not rt.

Lavender, in the video Michael Buble is actually signing the correct lyrics. However, what someone (makers of Bad Lip Reading videos) did was take out the original soundtrack and put their own in (plus captioning) based on what the lyrics look like to someone who cannot hear.

For example, where it is captioned "Ima blast your brains, talking full on sex.", He's actually singing (in the original video), "I'm not surprised, not everything lasts."

This goes to prove that lip reading is not as easy as people like to think. I think is is brilliant because it is a great illustration of how difficult and confusing lip reading can be.

Original video with Buble singing real lyrics: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KYEev_3L6k&feature=related]Michael Bublé - Haven't Met You Yet - Official Video - YouTube[/ame]

Made-over captioned video by Bad-Lip Reading: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaZNYSt7o0]"Russian Unicorn"[/ame]

Same here! I'm accused of being able to hear better than I actually can because of doing this very thing. Studying another persons speech patterens and when they typically say certain things and when they don't based on their body movements too or how you've come to know the person physically. It's amazing what I can pick up from watching someone and learning how they act and putting two and two together. Sounds creepy to some of the hearing folks on here, no? :giggle: It's called survival to me...

Once I learn a persons body language, speech I can understand them behind me, not always but if I am around that person enough I'm able to respond but it's typically an automatic response because it's something they always say or ask during certain times. If the person were to experiment with me and say something off the wall and if they used the body language I've come to associate with this particular phrase or question they use or the particular topic they seem to be fond of bringing up ( personality traits figuring them out go a long ways in this area ) I'd be lost and would have to ask for a repeat.

People seem creeped out that I look at them often or stare at them. It's only because I'm studying you but not from a stalkers perspective.:giggle: I have to look at you to figure out what is going on so next time anyone see's me starting consider it as a form of lecture I'm listening to in class and that would be you I'm learning. :laugh2:

p.s-sorry for the "rambling" I've gotten in the habit of typing without thinking. LOL. It's soo much easier to type for me and as a result I forget crap and just let my hands go a mile a minute. I'm working on sloowwinngg down...:)

I can't read lips when I turn the tv on mute and i have perfect hearing. why would i expect a deaf person to be able to do it without problem? :roll:

:)whistle: at first I thought it was the name of a new game show!! But then read and oh its a literal question. Darn, that wud have been a cool gameshow. Why? Becuz if u haven't been lipreading for 20÷ years or more. There will be many mistakes! And many funny ones. Like for u all who wonder what I mean. Have someone lip sync "vaccum" doesn't it kook like f@%$ you? So if u have a deaf friend who reads your lips for more than 10 min pls be a sweetheart and buy the deafie a beer. It was well earned. :beer:

So if u have a deaf friend who reads your lips for more than 10 min pls be a sweetheart and buy the deafie a beer. It was well earned. :beer:

Oh man, I have a lot of free beer coming my way! Yes!!! :cheers:

Back