So with all this money, will you.....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Do you get tired of hearing......

"What will you do if you won the lottery?"

"If you had $1 million, what will you buy?"

Jackpot: $50 million. What will you do with jackpot?

"So you got the winning #, what will you do?"

Don't you get tired of reading all those questions? Good grief, ya know!!! Do we run around and ask people what they're going to do with their money?

I have simple answer to these questions.

#1: I don't play lottery
#2: I don't play lottery
#3: I don't play lottery

Now you got all the answers.

burn the begging letters and buy my family a lottery ticket...what dreams are made of,telling my bludging sister to bugger off

Did you know that more than 50% of lottery winners aren't happy after 3 years.

Once you hit lotto, you are going to be forced to change lifestyle and change friends cause if not change, you will get constantly harassment from anyone asking for money. You can't hide that you won lotto jackpot. Only two states that allows anonymous but remaining anonymous is almost impossible.

These mandatory changes, I don't want to deal with. So it is not worth the dollar.

I'd buy a house with some land and put the rest in a savings account and live off the interest.

Some people think nothing of spending money with extremely slim chances of getting anything in return.

Some people have little money sense, and if given a large amount, spend it quickly and unwisely, thinking that the supply is inexhaustible.

Is there any surprise that there is a large overlap between those two populations?

Take a look at the winners who bought only one or two tickets a month. Compare with the winners who buy many tickets. Do you think there would be a big difference between the two groups of people in terms of their success five years down the road? I bet yes (but with no $$ attached).

I don't get tired of the questions. I have the same answers too: 1. I'd quit my job, 2. I'd pay off my bills and help my family pay off their debt, and 3. I'd move and spend my money studying languages, martial arts, and learning a new job I enjoy. And buy a few dogs....love dogs.

Laura

Once you hit lotto, you are going to be forced to change lifestyle and change friends cause if not change, you will get constantly harassment from anyone asking for money. You can't hide that you won lotto jackpot. Only two states that allows anonymous but remaining anonymous is almost impossible.

These mandatory changes, I don't want to deal with. So it is not worth the dollar.

ilile have chance to find out

You need to realize that many of the people that are unhappy after hitting the lottery are idiots or deeply flawed individuals. They're mainly people who don't buy three tickets at most during the week, but they often buy hundreds of dollars week per month. Clearly if you're spending that much for the lottery, you have issues managing money. Of those that bought one ticket and hit - they typically do well. They help family, in some cases continue working and enjoy life. You don't hear about them because they have a history of making good judgements. I wish everyone well though and I hope the lottery was won by good people in need.

Laura

Just move without a forwarding order, toss your phone and your computer, and STFU. Dress poorly (or at best, decently with common clothes) and drive only a decent car, preferably used. Do not move into a McMansion. Also, act like you are having some financial difficulties (say that you're having car problems, and that you're having to pay off the repair over the next 3 months). Anything to cover up the fact that you're now a sugar mama or daddy.

You need to avoid being a hostage or a ransom magnet, or even a robbery magnet. You see, now that you have these millions of dollars, you'll learn that it's one thing to have it, it's another to keep it. The above is what Old Money does, except that the money has been in the family for generations. It's the nouveau riche who give themselves away with Bentleys parked at McMansions in "exclusive" neighborhoods. After you have lived the fast life, you get tired of the attention and look for ways to hide, as I described above.

You see, there are always people out there looking for a way to separate you from your money, especially if they find out you're loaded.

I would love to have this problem, except someone in the family of a previous generation blew it and handled the money poorly. We lost hundreds of years of progress in the family and had to start over. * I * was the youngest victim of it. I saw it all happen from ages 7-9 and learned just how fragile everything is. Enjoy it while you can, as you can't take it with you in the end...

Clearly if you're spending that much for the lottery, you have issues managing money.

Or they are that far away (half-inch) from killing themselves to put themselves out of misery of being a modern-day feudal slave, which is what most of us are. We are ALL completely dependent on the modern fiat currency system and would last weeks, days, hell, even hours after our last paycheck before you must return to work "at some damn job," as a family member used to put it. It is an attitude that solidly reeks of abdication of responsibility of direction in one's life.

Maybe, this attitude would not be prevalent in our society if we still had a true capitalist system of merit and reward, which we have not had for decades now. This reaction of playing the lottery as you describe it is a desperate attempt to escape a system that has us enslaved, and they don't know what to do to empower themselves and make themselves feel useful and contributing something of worth to the human condition.

Even if these people never make something of themselves and contribute something to society, the least they can do for themselves is determine how long they think they'll live from now, divide up the prize by that number of years for an annual total, and see if it's possible to live under half that amount while doing what you want. In this particular game, the goal would not be to show off or spend money, but to avoid getting sucked back into a system where you're always following orders from your bosses or having to work in a job you don't believe in, but you're good at it, perhaps even have something left over for someone you loved up on your passing.

Seriously, ONLY two states that allows anonymous lottery winners, the rest 48 states which the winners are required to announce publicity of their winnings. How can one hide? Once you hit the jackpot, you will have flood of people (Even people you never met before) coming to you INSTANTLY. This does not limit to friends but plenty of scammers, salesman trying to sell you something, and so forth. That is where the problem is, not the management itself. This is the kind of publicity, I don't like it.

I'd buy a house with some land and put the rest in a savings account and live off the interest.

Interest, what interest? The prize better be something like 3-million or more, as APY of 1.5% will only net you 45,000 a year (which I make half of annually, so this wouldn't be bad at all). Most savings accounts are only fractions of ONE percent, like .3% or .27%. These sub-percenter rates will not be enough to sustain you without drawing down the principle making money for you. The catch with going with a high interest-rate account is that you don't know whether they are giving you a comparatively high rate because they want to attract business and have the bottom line to support it, or they are desperate to cover up a liquidity problem like so many banks did during the housing bust, using cash (in the form of deposits) to hide the problem. And you have to remember that it's not that simple, because you will have to split up the money into $250,000 lots and deposit each lot at different banks. Don't deposit at XYZ bank off Thurgood street and XYZ's branch at Marshall Ave. If XYZ goes down, and FDIC steps in, you'll be vulnerable to losing all but $250,000. What I mean is, for example, you won $500,000. Deposit $200k at Amegy Bank, another $200k at Sterling Bank, and the last $100k at Mucrose Bank. That way, if one, two, or all three go down, you're covered. Leave room for interest building up over time and be sure to siphon the interest over to another bank as it breaches the $250k limit periodically.

And if you do win say, $10 mm (million), then open a savings account at Washington Savings Bank with an APY of 1.5%, you'll end up with $150,000. If I'm not mistaken (I haven't had a savings account in over 20 years, so I don't know the tax code), this is taxable income above a certain number, and you'll have to pay taxes on it.

Now, let's talk about "hanging on to it." If you don't like the interest rates of CD and savings accounts (they SUCK compared to 30-40 years ago when you had 5% rates), then you may think about stocks, bonds, derivatives. Problem is, since a lot of you do not do this for a living, you have NO IDEA what the hell you're doing in a viper's nest in lower Manhattan. You'll eventually lose all the money, since the game is always stacked against you. You cannot compete against the connected people with access to high-frequency-trading. A lot of the financial sector is in the business of separating you from your money. Especially the US government in the form of income taxes AND stealth taxation or theft through inflation of the money supply. To avoid this fate, you have to become part of the system, as it were, understanding that "resistance is futile" and becoming part of the Borg Collective.

The name of the game here is keeping the "attrition rate" of your money as low as possible, and you really have to research this thoroughly. Often, you have to learn to make the leeches steal your money as slow as possible. I couldn't advise you any further than this, since I am not in this position and don't foresee myself in this position, ever.

Very true, and I think capital gain tax would apply, and could easily hit as high as 50% on taxes, plus maybe more depending on state where you live.

I did research, only 5 not 2 states that allows anonymous winners. BUT, there is a loophole which may be interesting. May be able to set up trust fund with different name but you got tetered with it. I am not sure how this loophole is going to work.

Interest, what interest? The prize better be something like 3-million or more, as APY of 1.5% will only net you 45,000 a year (which I can and do live on half that, so this wouldn't be bad at all). Most savings accounts are only fractions of ONE percent, like .3% or .27%. These sub-percenter rates will not be enough to sustain you without drawing down the principle making money for you. The catch with going with a high interest-rate account is that you don't know whether they are giving you a comparatively high rate because they want to attract business and have the bottom line to support it, or they are desperate to cover up a liquidity problem like so many banks did during the housing bust, using cash (in the form of deposits) to hide the problem. And you have to remember that it's not that simple, because you will have to split up the money into $250,000 lots and deposit each lot at different banks. Don't deposit at XYZ bank off Thurgood street and XYZ's branch at Marshall Ave. If XYZ goes down, and FDIC steps in, you'll be vulnerable to losing all but $250,000. What I mean is, for example, you won $500,000. Deposit $200k at Amegy Bank, another $200k at Sterling Bank, and the last $100k at Mucrose Bank. That way, if one, two, or all three go down, you're covered. Leave room for interest building up over time and be sure to siphon the interest over to another bank as it breaches the $250k limit periodically.

And if you do win say, $10 mm (million), then open a savings account at Washington Savings Bank with an APY of 1.5%, you'll end up with $150,000. If I'm not mistaken (I haven't had a savings account in over 20 years, so I don't know the tax code), this is taxable income above a certain number, and you'll have to pay taxes on it.

Now, let's talk about "hanging on to it." If you don't like the interest rates of CD and savings accounts (they SUCK compared to 30-40 years ago when you had 5% rates), then you may think about stocks, bonds, derivatives. Problem is, since a lot of you do not do this for a living, you have NO IDEA what the hell you're doing in a viper's nest in lower Manhattan. You'll eventually lose all the money, since the game is always stacked against you. You cannot compete against the connected people with access to high-frequency-trading. A lot of the financial sector is in the business of separating you from your money. Especially the US government in the form of income taxes AND stealth taxation or theft through inflation of the money supply. To avoid this fate, you have to become part of the system, as it were, understanding that "resistance is futile" and becoming part of the Borg Collective.

The name of the game here is keeping the "attrition rate" of your money as low as possible, and you really have to research this thoroughly. Often, you have to learn to make the leeches steal your money as slow as possible. I couldn't advise you any further than this, since I am not in this position and don't foresee myself in this position, ever.

Seriously, ONLY two states that allows anonymous lottery winners, the rest 48 states which the winners are required to announce publicity of their winnings. How can one hide? Once you hit the jackpot, you will have flood of people (Even people you never met before) coming to you INSTANTLY. This does not limit to friends but plenty of scammers, salesman trying to sell you something, and so forth. That is where the problem is, not the management itself. This is the kind of publicity, I don't like it.

That's why I said what I said. Move. Toss your phone and your computer. Start over somewhere fresh. Close all your accounts and transfer your monies to the new location. Your credit record will go with you, so you will be able to open new accounts. If you have that kind of money, just buy a small piece of property in the country with a shed on it, list that as your address at a post office to open a P O BOX, and go to the post office to get your mail. Don't forget to set up a forwarding order for everything going to that physical address to be sent to your P O Box if the businesses you do business with won't accept a P O Box as an address. Meanwhile, live somewhere else temporarily from time to time. I would envision myself doing this while living in a travel trailer while traveling. The people would see a shed with nothing in it.

You won't stop everyone completely, but you'll make it more work for them to find you. Why not just give this up, stop talking about winning the lottery, and save yourself the headache of leeches coming for your money?

48 states? Alabama doesn't have lottery at all.

I dont get tired of these kind of questions. It is fun to play this fantansty game that COULD come true.

1. First thing I would do is take a DEEEEP breath and tell myself to relax before making any rash decisions.
2. Second thing I would do is just lay out all of my options and choose the wisest ones that wont bankrupt me.
3. I wouldnt quit my job right away. I would take the time to think about what I really want...continue working, go back to school for my dream job, change jobs, work part-time, or not work at all.

Yes, it will be very difficult because the temptations will be there to make bad decisions.

Wow, you have to pay taxes on money you have in your account!!???

I mean, the interest rate is so low. IF taxes were more than the interest rate, then what is the point of having an account? Just stash money in closet or somewhere where no one will even think of looking.

Back