So what is the deaf boy learning?

Berry

Reaction score
I'm at a booth in the park, my wife is selling pottery, paints, paintings, etc. I'm standing around tying balloons, trying to remember how to make a monkey out of myself. It should come easily by now, I've had enough practice. A band is playing, everyone is sitting and listening. . No one is dancing. No one is making noise. Everyone is white.

A little boy walks up to me and watches me. I smile, he smiles, he doesn't say a word. I don't think about it because it happens sometimes. I always have a sign up, depending on my mood, “ASL fumbled here” or something of the sort. Nobody ever seems to read them. I wait for him to say or do something as I people watch.

His mother arrives. He points to a teddy bear balloon and signs “Want please.”

She signs “No more dollars.” Frowns.

I sign “Teddy bear want? Okay, gift.”

She says, but does not sign, “He doesn't want things given to him just because he is deaf.” He is watching her intently and I wonder how much he understands. I doubt he relates the balloon or me giving it to him to being deaf. He is just a kid who wants a balloon. I wonder why she bothers to talk, all three of us sign.

I sign but do not say, “Because deaf. No. Because ASL learn so good.” As I sign “Because” I can hear my daughter saying, “Lose the 'because', dad. It is not ASL.” Alas, the signs I do remember are as old as I am.

He looks at her, she nods. He smiles, I give him the balloon.

She walks over to the lawn and sits on the grass. I ask him if he can feel the music. He looks at the band, nods. His mother motions to him to sit beside her and be quiet. He does, playing with his balloon. I'm really glad now I gave it to him.

I know what she is doing although she probably doesn't have a clue. She is passing on the standard white cultural tradition that people should sit quietly and listen to music. Just like everyone else in the audience is doing.

But he is deaf.

So what is he learning?

He is probably learning that if he doesnt comply with his mother, he will be in big trouble.

It is apparent the mother isnt putting herself in his shoes that day. We wont know if she does at other times so we cant speculate that she never does.

:shrug: I understand it as if she is educating her child.

By sitting down, be quiet and listen to the music, all I can suppose is that she is trying to learn her child how to stay put. It doesn't necessarily mean that she implied him to listen to music since he is deaf (even though he can feel it).

It's difficult to say since we don't know mother and son in person, but this is the way I would see it. :D

Jamie

Berry, I liked what you had to say and I read and understood "everyone white". I notice that too. One of the things I love about the pow wows is the drums and dance. One of things I love about Jewish is the music and dance.

My ASL is very fumble, which is why I want to learn more. I have found myself trying to re-think ASL from English sentences I hear.

I think you gave the boy several gifts. I think sometimes it is hard to be in many worlds.

I really liked this teaching. Could I share it with anyone?

I try to put myself in the place of the kid, can't really. Nothing to watch, nobody is doing anything. The audience is sitting, a few standing. The band is sitting, the singer just stands there. I don't like to just sit and listen to music and I can hear it.

I was raised in mixed race neighborhoods and liked the Latins and Blacks better: when it came to music they didn't sit and watch, they jumped in and got involved: I remember the Anglos would go watch the Latinos dance in the streets. Then the cops stopped it because they said crowd control was too difficult.

He looks bored sitting there playing with his teddy bear balloon. How does he feel about this music he can't see or hear? I close my eyes. I can feel the beat on my upper arms, just between my biceps and triceps. Is that where my non hearing hearing is? Where is his? Do different sounds resonate with different parts of the body?

Is he going to grow up hating music? Or hating having to wait for hearing people to get done listening so he can get on with his life?

I don't even know how I would feel in his position let alone how he might feel.

But I do find myself wondering.

Berry, I liked what you had to say and I read and understood "everyone white". I notice that too. One of the things I love about the pow wows is the drums and dance. One of things I love about Jewish is the music and dance.

My ASL is very fumble, which is why I want to learn more. I have found myself trying to re-think ASL from English sentences I hear.

I think you gave the boy several gifts. I think sometimes it is hard to be in many worlds.

I really liked this teaching. Could I share it with anyone?

Gotta go to work. Didn't see your post before I posted.

Quick answer = yes :ty:

I try to put myself in the place of the kid, can't really. Nothing to watch, nobody is doing anything. The audience is sitting, a few standing. The band is sitting, the singer just stands there. I don't like to just sit and listen to music and I can hear it.

I was raised in mixed race neighborhoods and liked the Latins and Blacks better: when it came to music they didn't sit and watch, they jumped in and got involved: I remember the Anglos would go watch the Latinos dance in the streets. Then the cops stopped it because they said crowd control was too difficult.

He looks bored sitting there playing with his teddy bear balloon. How does he feel about this music he can't see or hear? I close my eyes. I can feel the beat on my upper arms, just between my biceps and triceps. Is that where my non hearing hearing is? Where is his? Do different sounds resonate with different parts of the body?

Is he going to grow up hating music? Or hating having to wait for hearing people to get done listening so he can get on with his life?

I don't even know how I would feel in his position let alone how he might feel.

But I do find myself wondering.

Well, as a deaf child who has been dragged to those free summer concerts by my family, I can share from my viewpoint. The difference between that mother and my mother is that my mother let my brother (who is also deaf) and I play to keep from being bored. As someone who grew up in the hearing world and who relies heavily on HAs, I was able to enjoy the music so sometimes, I would dance to it but my brother was a different story. He had no auditory memory nor benefit..he would beg me to stop dancing and continue to play with him.

I dont remember really learning a lifelong lessons from those concerts and my brother hasnt said much. If our mother had told us to sit down quietly to "listen" to the music, then maybe it would have became a negative experience but since she let us play, we always looked forward to going and just running around freely.

I don't know what to think of this story. I think, though, that if I didn't have my hearing aids in, I wouldn't be able to understand the music, although I may hear it but not appreciate what it sounds like. On the other hand, most "singers" 'sing' by microphone and none enunciate the words and it appears as if they're either eating the microphone or having sex with it (microphone stand between their legs, them holding onto it for dear life). At least I have an on/off switch on each hearing aid and don't have to listen to the stuff.

I think he might be learning his mother is not very creative or empathetic.

When my parents took me somewhere I would just need to sit quietly, I had books, small toys, and things to keep me occupied and interested.

Sounds like an overprotective mother treating the child like nothing is wrong with him.

She is protective because she did not want anyone giving him a balloon out of sympathy.

The Mother is also speaking ASL to communicate with the son. But I am not sure of what is her expectation.

I am glad she allowed you to give him the balloon. He surely enjoyed it while the mother was listening to the music.

She needs to realize they're others out there that are like her son, and understands the situation.

This is just what I have observed through reading the OP's story.

This made me sad :( Now I have to rethink my post from above...

Thanks for making me aware of this!!!

Btw, I forgot to mention above, that it was very sweet and nice of you to give the boy a balloon! I'm sure he enjoyed it so much! Not sure whether HA is reading this, but didn't she point out that she could feel music vibrating through the balloon and enjoy some of the music or was it somebody else? Is there a way for deaf children to learn how to appreciate music? <shrug>

A lot depends on the mother on how she introduces her son to music, isn't it? I would at least try to find a way!

Jamie

I think this is a perfect illustration of the implicit messages we give our children just by them observing our actions and our innactions.

I've seen deaf children being taught at school to enjoy the music no matter what. The deaf children tend to enjoy the music when it is being played loud enough to rock the whole room itself! One day when I was in the room with them, I was so glad to be able to enjoy being part of the dancing group with them. Principal (kinda ignorant person) stopped by to see what ruckus is going on in that room. I explained to her that it is imperative that deaf children of all ages get to know the "feeling" of the music and appreciate its beautiful lyrics that is being played on any type of music! She realized that it is important to introduce deaf children to the music culture and become aware of that at early age that it is ok to feel things through anything like a balloon, paper, table, chair, etc.

It is important for children to be aware of what is going on out in the world.

I should know by now not to initiate anything on Sunday. Monday here is always hectic and I often can't get to the computer till Tuesday: Today.

Now there is so much to take in. I'll try.

I dont remember really learning a lifelong lessons from those concerts and my brother hasnt said much. If our mother had told us to sit down quietly to "listen" to the music, then maybe it would have became a negative experience but since she let us play, we always looked forward to going and just running around freely

When my parents took me somewhere I would just need to sit quietly, I had books, small toys, and things to keep me occupied and interested

I did not have a brother or sister to play with but these two quotes sum up my experiences as a hearing child as well. Play was always an option and there was always a stack of books.

That in and of itself is interesting.

I don't know what to think of this story.

In many ways I don't either. There is a lot going on but nothing was clear cut. The boy did not look neglected, she did not come on as a “bad” mother. I think everyone was just doing the best they know how.

I believe it is the parts we don't know, or aren't thinking about, that is the most important part of what happened.

I think Babyblue summed the mother up better than I did. From what I could see it sounds right:

Sounds like an overprotective mother treating the child like nothing is wrong with him.

She is protective because she did not want anyone giving him a balloon out of sympathy.

The Mother is also speaking ASL to communicate with the son. But I am not sure of what is her expectation.

I am glad she allowed you to give him the balloon. He surely enjoyed it while the mother was listening to the music.

She needs to realize they're others out there that are like her son, and understands the situation.

This is just what I have observed through reading the OP's story

I think she is passing down cultural norms that were passed down to her without questioning them, but then that is part of cultural norms, people don't tend to question them. Or as Jillio states,

I think this is a perfect illustration of the implicit messages we give our children just by them observing our actions and our innactions

I think, though, that if I didn't have my hearing aids in, I wouldn't be able to understand the music, although I may hear it but not appreciate what it sounds like. On the other hand, most "singers" 'sing' by microphone and none enunciate the words and it appears as if they're either eating the microphone or having sex with it (microphone stand between their legs, them holding onto it for dear life). At least I have an on/off switch on each hearing aid and don't have to listen to the stuff.

There are times I wish I also had an on and off switch on my ears.

Btw, I forgot to mention above, that it was very sweet and nice of you to give the boy a balloon! I'm sure he enjoyed it so much!

Jamie

There aren't that many people make a real living blowing up balloons, and I have met a few who are Scrooge greedy, but most of the people I know who do this are more interested in putting a smile on a kid's face than making a buck. I have a regular job with regular pay so until or unless I lose it in the crunch balloons are just a side line. And every once in a while someone will give you a tip in addition so in the end it evens out.

When someone comes up to you with 6 or 8 children and you hear them tell the kids “I only have $3” what do you do, try to give half of them balloons?

Ironically I've never had a parent of a hearing child tell me they didn't want their child given special favors, so by asking me not to treat him differently she is treating him differently and asking me to do so as well. But she does not know this. Another thing she is not thinking about.

Not sure whether HA is reading this, but didn't she point out that she could feel music vibrating through the balloon and enjoy some of the music or was it somebody else?

Jamie

I'm going to have to try that.

I've seen deaf children being taught at school to enjoy the music no matter what. The deaf children tend to enjoy the music when it is being played loud enough to rock the whole room itself! One day when I was in the room with them, I was so glad to be able to enjoy being part of the dancing group with them. Principal (kinda ignorant person) stopped by to see what ruckus is going on in that room. I explained to her that it is imperative that deaf children of all ages get to know the "feeling" of the music and appreciate its beautiful lyrics that is being played on any type of music! She realized that it is important to introduce deaf children to the music culture and become aware of that at early age that it is ok to feel things through anything like a balloon, paper, table, chair, etc.

It is important for children to be aware of what is going on out in the world

Paper? Table? Gonna have to try that too. Plus anything else I can think of.

A lot depends on the mother on how she introduces her son to music, isn't it? I would at least try to find a way!

Jamie

As a kid my best friend was a CODA. His parents couldn't hear you yelling, but man oh man could they dance together.

What an insightful, and heartbreaking, story

I appreciate the compliment. I just wish I was more confidant it was deserved.

Yet a few of us deserve to know the sound of a butterfly in flight. There's no smiley for that. :)

Well to add to this.

I felt it was awesome that you gave the boy the balloon. I am sure he felt the vibration of the balloon itself, from the music. Just makes you wonder if he did feel it or was in awe by it. Most kids just love balloons regardless. But for a deaf child. It could mean more.

That is just an assumption. But something to ponder about the story as well.

Back