So, new earmolds.. Help!?

girlingrey

Reaction score
Got new earmolds today. I guess I overestimated my abilities/assumed this whole thing would be easy, and instead of getting them fit, just picked them up with uncut tubing. Mistakee. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out cutting the tubing, but also making the tubing stretch to hug the earhook.
Any advice?

Got new earmolds today. I guess I overestimated my abilities/assumed this whole thing would be easy, and instead of getting them fit, just picked them up with uncut tubing. Mistakee. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out cutting the tubing, but also making the tubing stretch to hug the earhook.
Any advice?

I have a tool like needle nose plyers, but backward. It goes in the top of tubing then press the handles to open and stretch the tubing.

Can you upload a pic, by chance? Maybe we have something here. I doubt it, but then again, we have tons of jewelry/watchmaking stuff.. lol

Can you upload a pic, by chance? Maybe we have something here. I doubt it, but then again, we have tons of jewelry/watchmaking stuff.. lol

Tube spreader

2vj920k.jpg

Tube spreader as I squeeze it open. Notice backwards from a pair of pliers.

35clt1u.jpg

I have a tool (special pliers) to do it - but honestly if it's a reasonable drive head back to the audiologist and have them SHOW you how to do it (and see if you can order the one tool)

if you have cuticle clippers it works in the same motion because of the spring...u can use those if u have a pair just make sure not to actual cut anything:)

I don't have the dexterity to attach the tubes to the ear hooks myself. My audiologist, or whoever is beside me at the time, has to do it...

if you have your old earmolds cut the tubes to the same length (but a bit longer) than those and see how it sits. If it is too long cut off like a half a millimeter and see how that is. Just cut VERY little each time.

Thanks everyone for the advice, specially Botte for the pics!!
I think I might know someone with one of these, so we'll see if she'll help me, and maybe look into ordering one. For now, still using the old molds.
:ty: everyone!

It can be done easily without special tools. All you need is a sharp pair of scissors. A pair of pliers (Ideally small ones) will also come in useful.

This is not the best method but it works well for those without proper tools.

Step 1.

Get a piece of tubing. Keep in mind that you will only be using the straight edge for this technique. Don't make use of the bend.

Step 2.

Cut part of the tubing so that it forms this shape:

34ihgyp.gif

NOTE: The amount you cut should be slightly longer than that of the tunnel in your ear mould.

Step 3.

Cut a pointed tip at the end of the tube. (The damaged end)

Step 4.

Now insert the pointed end into your ear mould until it comes out at the inner side of the mould (You may need to go back to step 2 and make the damaged side of the tubing thinner so that it will slide through.)

Step 5.

When the tubing is sticking out the inner side of the mould, use pliers to pull the tube through. Pull it through until an intact/undamaged piece of tubing (i.e. a bit which you haven't cut) is at the inner side of the mould.

Step 6.

Cut off the damaged tubing.

Step 7.

Pull the tubing back slightly so that it is flush with the inner side of the ear mold.

Step 8.

Now cut the other end to size (TIP: Make sure you cut it longer than you think you need it. That way you can make incremental adjustments until it fits nicely)

I think I've just made it sound very confusing. Thing is though, it's not! I will see if I can find some tubing so that I can demonstrate it. The problem with the technique though is that you waste a lot of tubing and you don't take advantage of the U bend, which can be an issue if you have a large ears. That said, it works well if you don't have the proper tools to do it.

Definitions:

- Inner side of the mould

The side of the mould which fits directly next to your ear canal

- Damaged end of the tube

The side of the tube which you have cut into a half pipe shape (mentioned in step 2)

Also, If you have a mild to moderate conductive hearing loss, you may want to look into getting a Mini BTE aid. They have a much better tube design and you don't need to make multiple appointments to get a mould impression/fitted because they will most likely have one that is a suitable size. The aid isn't suitable for everyone though.

2007-IN_06-10.jpg

Back