So many questions- Please help!

You scare a lot of hoh people away with all this pushiness.

Deaf schools are language rich environments using both languages because AsL is now recognized as a language when it wasn't decades ago. What Deafdyke is saying
Is correct.

I was mainstreamed...it SUCKED!!!

Deaf school where he can talk with anyone without a terp and language is fully accessible 100% of the time or being mainstreamed where he can't talk to anyone without a terp where language access is very restricted? Which to choose? :hmm:

Nobody seems to notice moelza is responding on the premise that the kid isn't deaf but hard of hearing with access to spoken language since that is what the OP didn't yet know about the degree of loss.

Deaf schools are language rich environments using both languages because AsL is now recognized as a language when it wasn't decades ago. What Deafdyke is saying
Is correct.

No she isn't. We lose quite a few young people who are hoh and looking for connections when she tries to push them away from home and into deaf schools, deaf camps, deaf colleges, when some have actually told her they don't want to be separated from family and then they don't come back.

I was mainstreamed...it SUCKED!!!

Deaf school where he can talk with anyone without a terp and language is fully accessible 100% of the time or being mainstreamed where he can't talk to anyone without a terp where language access is very restricted? Which to choose? :hmm:

You are deaf. That's not what moelza was talking about.

No she isn't. We lose quite a few young people who are hoh and looking for connections when she tries to push them away from home and into deaf schools, deaf camps, deaf colleges, when some have actually told her they don't want to be separated from family and then they don't come back.

Many deaf kids go to deaf schools and still are connected with families. My brother was one.

I wish I can say more about hoh children that I see but one doesn't have to be deaf for the mainstreaming experience to be harmful. Even hoh children fall behind.

She just a big advocate for Deaf programs and I am as well too. Nothing about sending them away and never to be reconnected with their families.

Bitter deaf school grad.

Never been to a deaf school but loves them.

Didn't notice the qualifiers of the bitter deaf school grad.

:wave:

Where did he say that he graduated from a deaf school?

He said he has "heard" that they weren't doing well. Based on what information?

If he is a deaf school grad, then the deaf school did a great job because he has excellent English skills.

Seems like their is a conflict of testimonials. Deaf schools are doing a bad job says a grad of a deaf school with excellent English skills. I am confused.

:hmm:...I can honestly see where sending a small child several hundred miles away to a deaf school would be terrifying to the child....Even I, at 14, was terrified/horrified leaving home and going away 400 miles to a school for the deaf....

:hmm:...I can honestly see where sending a small child several hundred miles away to a deaf school would be terrifying to the child....Even I, at 14, was terrified/horrified leaving home and going away 400 miles to a school for the deaf....

I didn't see where someone said said that should happen. All I saw is Deafdyke suggesting the OP to contact the deaf school. Sometimes Deaf schools know what other deaf/hoh programs are close by. Maybe I missed where she said to send the child away. I will reread again. It was last night and I was tired so maybe I missed that part.

I didn't see where someone said said that should happen. All I saw is Deafdyke suggesting the OP to contact the deaf school. Sometimes Deaf schools know what other deaf/hoh programs are close by. Maybe I missed where she said to send the child away. I will reread again. It was last night and I was tired so maybe I missed that part.

I perceived Robin's post as a response to Bottessini's post #23...

I'm sure Robin can clarify though.

I perceived Robin's post as a response to Bottessini's post #23...

I'm sure Robin can clarify though.

OK good for you. Like I said, I was tired last night after busting my ass at my job all week. I didn't ask how you perceived Robin`s post..OK?

OK good for you. Like I said, I was tired last night after busting my ass at my job all week. I didn't ask how you perceived Robin`s post..OK?

It seems to me that the hostility is a bit misguided and unnecessary.

I know you didn't ask, but I'm sharing my thoughts.

I hope you can rest this weekend, sounds like you need it.

Enjoy your days off :)

Last edited:
I wonder if misssamelia will come back???

In my opinion, one of the most important things to remember is that you can always change your mind. If you try out a mainstream school and find it isn't working (or stops working after a period of time), you can try out a bilingual/bicultural school, if there's one in your area. Or, try out a deaf school and if you or your child aren't happy with it, switch to something else. The decisions you make now aren't set in stone for the rest of your lives.

I agree with the poster who said your child's audiologist will likely set you up with your state's early intervention program. I highly recommend utilizing the deaf mentor and/or parent guide program, if your state has them.

I would also say, yes. You will be looking up words. Many words :aw:

I wonder if misssamelia will come back???

In my opinion, one of the most important things to remember is that you can always change your mind. If you try out a mainstream school and find it isn't working (or stops working after a period of time), you can try out a bilingual/bicultural school, if there's one in your area. Or, try out a deaf school and if you or your child aren't happy with it, switch to something else. The decisions you make now aren't set in stone for the rest of your lives.

I agree with the poster who said your child's audiologist will likely set you up with your state's early intervention program. I highly recommend utilizing the deaf mentor and/or parent guide program, if your state has them.

I would also say, yes. You will be looking up words. Many words :aw:

Preciesly. And as a matter of fact, it is very common for kids to switch placements etc as needs change. I think that's one of the things that I would LOVE to get across to hearing parents. That a lot of times, needs can change.....especially around fourth grade and up.
And I do think that contacting the Deaf School or a regional dhh program for a first resort, is an EXCELLENT idea.

Back