So Long NYC, We're going to Arizona on Cab

Serendipity

Reaction score
NEW YORK- Betty and Bob Matas have retired and are moving to Arizona, but like many New Yorkers they don't drive, and they don't want their cats to travel all that way in an airliner cargo hold.

Their solution: "Hey, cabbie."

They met taxi driver Douglas Guldeniz when they hailed his cab after a shopping trip several weeks ago.

They got to talking about their upcoming move, and "we said 'Do you want to come?'" said Bob Matas, 72, a former audio and video engineer for advertising agencies. "And he said 'Sure.'"

It was initially a gag, Matas said, but as they talked over the ensuing weeks it became reality.

They plan to leave Tuesday on the 2,400-mile trip to Sedona, Ariz., with Guldeniz driving his yellow SUV cab 10 hours a day for a flat fee of $3,000, plus gas, meals and lodging.

They're getting a break. The standard, metered fare would be about $5,000 — each way, according to David Pollack, executive director of the Committee for Taxi Safety, a drivers' group. But city Taxi and Limousine Commission rules direct drivers and passengers to negotiate a flat fare for trips outside the city and a few suburban areas.

It's also a good deal for Guldeniz.

"This job is not easy, and I want to do something different," said Guldeniz, 45, who has been driving a taxi for two years. "I want to have some good memories."

The Matases will ride in relaxed comfort in Guldeniz's sport utility vehicle while their cats ride in the back in their travel cases. A mover will haul their belongings.

"It's a little unusual, but it will be fun," said Betty Matas, 71, a retired executive administrative assistant.

NYC couple hail cab for 2,400-mile ride - Yahoo! News

lol, not surprised...

I rather to drive the car myself when move to other city, save alot of money.

whew! That is one long cab ride! Wonder if that is a record breaker?

258!!! Maybe it is a break recorder like Shel90 said! Who knows!!!

I would just hitch my Jeep with the trailer (rent of course) and pack up my stuff and zoom out! Save money!

THIS

sedona_header2.jpg

IS A LOT PRETTIER THAN

694471-MIdtown_from_Central_Park-New_York_City.jpg

Richard

THIS

sedona_header2.jpg

IS A LOT PRETTIER THAN

694471-MIdtown_from_Central_Park-New_York_City.jpg

Richard

I agree...took my husband to Sedona two years ago..he wanted to move there! Ha! Yea, Sedona is beautiful but more and more people are moving there so that there is concern about urban sprawl happening in Sedona.

That cab company is gonna get rich. That's one of a long drive for a cab driver :giggle:

I think that's kind of neat, with how they were able to work out a plan with the cab driver, not only is the cab driver getting a flat rate fee for his part, but allowing him to get out of the city zone and get in some traveling, sight-seeing as well. Besides, the couple's concern for their pets is well noted also, providing their pets a more relaxed setting than dealing with the 'roar' of a plane's engine during takeoffs and landing, also feeling isolated/scared as well.

Definitely an interesting story, one that may be told for days ahead, heck, who knows, maybe documented and create a movie about it.

Thanks for sharing this with AD'ers--;)

~RR

that story will be so breaking as record! like $10,000 dont you think?

Back