So I went for CI testing...

NickCameron1031

Reaction score
and I am a candidate! I am waiting on my surgery date now. I am really excited. I took my speech test on Wednesday and I was sitting and waiting for the sentences to start and my audi came in and I asked " when are you going to start the sentence part?", and she said " Well, Its already over." I scored a big fat ZERO on those. LOL I am going with the AB model, I liked how it fit on my ear better. Now I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I have pretty realistic expectations, I would be happy with just some environmental sounds, but if I can get some speech out of the deal that would be cool too. Just thought I would drop an update.

That is very cool, good luck !!!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

I scored a big fat ZERO on those. I have pretty realistic expectations, I would be happy with just some environmental sounds, but if I can get some speech out of the deal that would be cool too. Just thought I would drop an update.
Excellent...........do you have low speech perception in both ears? Is one ear better then the other? Are you gonna do simulatious bilateral implants, or take a wait and see approach?
And I am so glad that you've got realistic expectations.

Congratulations on qualifying. I look forward to you sharing your journey with us.

Excellent...........do you have low speech perception in both ears? Is one ear better then the other? Are you gonna do simulatious bilateral implants, or take a wait and see approach?
And I am so glad that you've got realistic expectations.

I have almost no speech perception except for an occasional long "I" sound. Not all the time it depends on the speaker. I am going to just do my right ear this time around, my audie suggested trying out that one first, see how I do and then she said in 6 months we could talk about the left ear too if I am happy with this one. Since I dont really hear anything I will be satisfied with something. :)

Excellent. It's awesome that CI is an option for people with little to no speech perception. Sounds like your approval by your audi was just a formality.

and I am a candidate! I am waiting on my surgery date now. I am really excited. I took my speech test on Wednesday and I was sitting and waiting for the sentences to start and my audi came in and I asked " when are you going to start the sentence part?", and she said " Well, Its already over." I scored a big fat ZERO on those. LOL I am going with the AB model, I liked how it fit on my ear better. Now I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I have pretty realistic expectations, I would be happy with just some environmental sounds, but if I can get some speech out of the deal that would be cool too. Just thought I would drop an update.

Good for you hope you get a lot more out of the deal than you expect, well worth doing.

Not to start a debate, just for my own interest, what led you to AB other than fit? I've had an AB for a little over a year, but you always wonder what if.

Best wishes

Well done.... Good luck with the rest of the journey!, I am being switched on this wednesday and were told it's the hardest part!!

keep us updated...

I wish you luck with your surgery. I got zero on everything my audi tested me on before my implants and now my score is 87% in sentences and 50% in words and 30% in noise but I should note here that I'm a prelingual... YMMV in your case.

As for others wondering why I haven't posted lately, my Mac is in the repair shop due to a broken ethernet and I hope to get it back this afternoon.

"Hope for the Best.... Prepare for the Worse... " thats my motto...

Good luck buddy and do keep us posted.

I never had a "what if.. " moment and I am more than 100 days post op from my MedEl CI surgery.. .

OverThePond good luck on your activation date coming up do keep us posted...

Nick, Congratulation! I am glad for you to get CI. You must be exciting to hear any environment sound world. :D Keep it up. Good luck!

Good for you hope you get a lot more out of the deal than you expect, well worth doing.

Not to start a debate, just for my own interest, what led you to AB other than fit? I've had an AB for a little over a year, but you always wonder what if.

Best wishes

I went with the AB based on the fit. The rechargeable batteries and the good customer support I had when I contacted the company for info and follow up questions. Cochlear sent me the info pack but would take days to get back to me when I sent them questions. AB would answer usually within a day if not less and I liked that. I didn't pick med el because I was afraid I would lose the remote but I loved how the processor fit on my ear.

update

My surgery is scheduled for September 10 at 130. I am really excited now! Just wanted to update everyone.

My surgery is scheduled for September 10 at 130. I am really excited now! Just wanted to update everyone.
Good luck to you my friend. May you have a sucessful operation without complications and I hope you gain benefit from the CI.

Back