So I interpreted today, but was I right?

rjcon88

Reaction score
At work this morning, our union rep just showed up out of the blue. The same person that we have been trying to get into contact with for quite some time now. One of my other coworkers wanted to bring up the subject of deaf drivers to him personally. I ended up terping for him. He said I did a great job, but my question to you guys is: Should I have interpreted, or should I had just let them figure out another means of communication since I really doubt I did a good job? Keeping in mind that I've been signing for maybe 6 months or so.

I was just curious as to what you guys had to say :D Oh and please be brutally honest.

At work this morning, our union rep just showed up out of the blue. The same person that we have been trying to get into contact with for quite some time now. One of my other coworkers wanted to bring up the subject of deaf drivers to him personally. I ended up terping for him. He said I did a great job, but my question to you guys is: Should I have interpreted, or should I had just let them figure out another means of communication since I really doubt I did a good job? Keeping in mind that I've been signing for maybe 6 months or so.

I was just curious as to what you guys had to say :D Oh and please be brutally honest.

You've only been signing for 6 months yet you jumped in there to interpret? Kudos to you! I've been at this business for over 2 years and i'm sure I would have screwed up most heinously. :doh:

Wow!

I'm hearing, old NERD just starting to lean ASL, and I look at some of the vlogs and just want to give up. I can catch one sign in four (albeit five seconds behind) and I know that I am completely missing the subtle variations in the signs that I do recognize.

As to your ethical dilemma, as long as the deaf people felt comfortable with your terping for them, go for it. I try to remember that it's the communication that is important, not doing it with perfect ASL, but it's still very daunting.

Well done!

Of course it is always best to have a professional interpreter.

However, if the deaf person is just a friend and its in a more casual setting or a setting in which the interpreting is not known before hand (and the deaf person asks you!) then I don't see a problem with it. As long as the concepts are explained correctly and the meaning is shown, its all good :)

You are right to ponder this question; obviously someone with 6 months of sign classes is not going to be qualified to interpret. In this situation it was probably okay since it seems like it was an informal chat. (If it was raised at a formal meeting, then it should have been left to a professional.) Also, I am going to assume that you weren't really interpreting, but rather just facilitating communication - that everyone knew you weren't qualified and you were just helping out.

In my opinion, helping out is fine, you did fine. The only thing I would worry about is if it sets a precedent. If they ask you to interpret again in the future, I'd decline and say they need to find a professional interpreter.

You are right to ponder this question; obviously someone with 6 months of sign classes is not going to be qualified to interpret. In this situation it was probably okay since it seems like it was an informal chat. (If it was raised at a formal meeting, then it should have been left to a professional.) Also, I am going to assume that you weren't really interpreting, but rather just facilitating communication - that everyone knew you weren't qualified and you were just helping out.

In my opinion, helping out is fine, you did fine. The only thing I would worry about is if it sets a precedent. If they ask you to interpret again in the future, I'd decline and say they need to find a professional interpreter.

:gpost: I agree with everything you siad.

Thanks I feel much better about my decision. But I have never had a single class, I am learning sign from my coworkers because... well I need to learn soon since I'm going deaf myself and my coworkers want to help me communicate better. And the only person that actually didn't know that I was in no way qualified to interpret was the Union Rep himself.

I wasn't really asked to interpret, my coworker more or less implied it since he wanted me to ask the questions that we have been trying to get answered for awhile. But I do have one more question: If my coworkers want me to "interpret" again, then what would be my best course of action? Assuming that an interpreter in unavailable for whatever reason.

Thanks again guys, you all are the best!

Back