So frustrated. . . .

Helidore1983

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting help with financial assistance for HA's. I don't like having a hard time hearing (I know none of you do either). I mean I wish if I can hear I can hear and if I can't I can't, I don't like the middle man. Being in between. The doctor says it usually just declines, but the rate at which it declines he can't say for certain. This is making it really hard on my classes I am taking. I wish I had known a little earlier. I just haven't been in situations like this for a long time, and didn't realize how much my hearing had declined.

GRRRRR, oh well. I will be ok. I just needed to vent to people who understand. Thanks for reading.

have you tried voc rehab? they are usually willing to help if you need it.

or try asking the local deaf center for recommendations.

That's all I can think to suggest right now.

Bear Beauty is right--check with voc rehab for assistance with HA. As far as the classes you are taking, make an appointment to speak with their disability services coordinator ASAP and get accommodations for the classes you are taking. If you would like advise on recommended accommodations, you can PM me, and I will discuss your situation with you.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Another organization to consider besides VR (although in my opinion VR ought to be your first avenue of exploration) is the Lions Club. They have a program (whose name I can't remember the name of at the moment) that provides hearing aids to people who need them. In the meatime, I would also contact your college's student disability office who may be able to provide an FM system to hard of hearing students during the semester. FYI...FM systems can be used with headphones. If you'd like more information about FM systems or anything I've mentioned here, feel free to send me a PM as well. Hope this information helps!

Another organization to consider besides VR (although in my opinion VR ought to be your first avenue of exploration) is the Lions Club. They have a program (whose name I can't remember the name of at the moment) that provides hearing aids to people who need them. In the meatime, I would also contact your college's student disability office who may be able to provide an FM system to hard of hearing students during the semester. FYI...FM systems can be used with headphones. If you'd like more information about FM systems or anything I've mentioned here, feel free to send me a PM as well. Hope this information helps!

Good point. We keep 3 FM systems on hand--only have one currently in use for apost lingually deafened student.

Thanks for the responses . . .

Thanks for your responses, I have tried most of those resources and they have fallen through, but I have one that I am pretty sure is going to work now, but I only found out yesterday evening.

As for DRS in my state (Vocational Rehab), they suck. And I knew that before the process, but now that I need HA's, they really suck. I don't even want to discuss that one. LOL.

Lions club, I have a referral going out today for that, but I just hope that the hearing aids aren't toooooo outdated. I would appreciate anything I can get, but I don't want to JUST get them for the sake of getting them, I want them to actually be able to help me.

I have an application for the Starkey foundation, they cost a little more money than I have right now, but I am keeping it for one of my final solutions.

I also contacted Audient.com but they cost almost as much as it does to purchase the hearing aids right out. So they weren't much help.

My disabilities counselor has not been very helpful in this. I guess because I am not all the way Deaf, and reliant on ASL (yet) and can actually converse with her, she doesn't see me as needing whatever help she can give. If she keeps on going, she is going to see a side of me she doesn't want to see. LOL.

Anyway, thanks for help, I was pretty frustrated yesterday but am hoping that things look up soon. I think they will.

Thanks again!

Ya, I been there and done that with DRS. I think DRS sucks; I'm from VA. My father thought DRS a perfect example of why liberal agencies don't work.

You're going to JSRCC next year? I wonder if Duffer Childry still works there or if she's retired. When you go there you can contact her for help with coping with your hearing loss in class.

Ya, I been there and done that with DRS. I think DRS sucks; I'm from VA. My father thought DRS a perfect example of why liberal agencies don't work.

You're going to JSRCC next year? I wonder if Duffer Childry still works there or if she's retired. When you go there you can contact her for help with coping with your hearing loss in class.

I am totally considering JSRCC in the Spring, because TNCC is really really really getting on my nerves and it has only been 1 week so far. They just totally don't get it. I am going to talk to someone soon about a lot of things. I will get it figured out.

Anyway, Bruce Sofinski is my advisor for JSRCC, and he wants to see me in Oct. to see if I can test into the Interpreter program but I am thinking I may want to sort of double major and get the program for Deaf studies as well. I think there needs to be more people out there that are aware of these problems going on in society, and I would love to work for an agency, like Endependence, where they really have someone who has their "crap" together. LOL.

Where at in VA do you live? I am going to a Silent Dinner next week in Newport News. Just wondering if you live anywhere remotely close to me, lol. I know no one that is Deaf or HOH (in person that is).

Thanks for your advice, I will keep it in my mind. :)

I live in NC atm. I grew up in Richmond VA.

When you go to school in Richmond in spring, the food court at Willow Park has a silent lunch every wed. Willow Park shopping center is just off Monument Ave. When you drive on Monument Ave thru the Fan section you'll understand why the locals call it the brick street. LOL.

Back