So-called Terps- Sending Deaf PPL to Hell

I moved to a new big city a few months ago. So I've been looking for a chruch with interpreted services -or at least, a church who is willing to provide intepreters. I've called over 50 (at least) churches.

Here's my problem...for the churches that have interpreted services - the interpreters are not really interpreters - they are people who "know some sign language." Now I'm talking about HUGE churches that should be financially able to provide certified interpreters. So far all of them said they will not provide one (when I asked). A few said, "Sorry - we don't have a deaf ministry" - as if they must have one to get an interpreter.

Why is it that when it comes to medical situations and legal situations, it is generally agreed that the interpreter should be certified and qualified. However, for church situations- it seems that anyone can be "good enough." We're talking about people's SALVATION AND SOULS - preparing for the everlasting life and all that. How can the people who call themselves interpreters (when they are not) and the churches who let them do it sleep at night? If you are one of the people "who can sign some" and acting as an interpreter - it is possible you are helping to send Deaf people to Hell since they are not getting the full access to the message. Believe me - you're not doing us any favors. As long as there are people who will do "some signing," many churches are not going to invest the time and money to make sure good interpreters are being provided. I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful - but the bottom line is, I have the right to a FULL access to God's Word - and I have the right to make sure I'm getting the full message to ensure my salvation and ticket to Heaven. So-called terps - stop risking sending Deaf people to Hell - because your interpreting skills just might not be as good as you think.

My church has Deaf services. We attend so that Miss Kat can get religon taught to her properly. We are very happy with our church and their services for the Deaf!

Fuck church. You won't go to hell for not going to church. I do not think you need church in order to have religion. Why don't you just do it on your own?

Church is boring anyway. Besides, all they do nowadays is do everything they can do to humiliate you in every way possible. Their goal is to make you feel bad about yourself. Why put yourself through that kind of shit? It's not necessary.

That was my experience with church as a child...since then, I just feel uncomfortable in them.

Im not religious. but I agree. If the church thinks its message is so important they provide a legit terp.

Fuck church. You won't go to hell for not going to church. I do not think you need church in order to have religion. Why don't you just do it on your own?

Church is boring anyway. Besides, all they do nowadays is do everything they can do to humiliate you in every way possible. Their goal is to make you feel bad about yourself. Why put yourself through that kind of shit? It's not necessary.
I'm very sorry that you had such bad experiences. :(

That was my experience with church as a child...since then, I just feel uncomfortable in them.
I'm sorry that you also had such bad experiences at church. :(

Stokoe "Discovered" ASL in the 60's.

SEE was invented in the 70's.

I been "church-hunting" as well.

Some of the churches that I "shopped" at provided interpreters and asked for a collection of donations and paid the interpreter at the end of the service.

Some churches used their own members who would sign out of the goodness of their hearts. Nice and sweet but didn't really convey the message that well.

Then there was this one church......

:shock:

I was invited by this pastor to check out his church in Snohomish, Washington, and he boasted that they had an interpreter. So I went to their church.

I arrived early and went to sit in the front pew to make sure I got a good view of the interpreter.

The service started and the pastor, interpreter came out in the church robes. At first I thought it was a little odd but didn't complain as it was nice to see the interpreter wearing a dark robe.

The pastor welcomed everyone to the church and started to dis-robe in front of the congregation. The interpreter did too.

"Odd." I thought.

The pastor and interpreter were naked. :shock: I couldn't look at the interpreter nor the pastor. That was when I noticed a couple people around me were dis-clothed as well.

I couldn't take off my clothes as it just didn't seem right in the church.

So I stared at the program and saw the small print, "Our church is clothing optional as we believe that we came to the world naked and must present ourselves to the Lord in our true fashion."

So--my advice is that if you come across a church with a name of "naked" in it's title--:run:

I never went back! :lol:

Unfortunately yes!

Apparently this church-"The Naked Shepard" attracts clothing-optional crowds.

Which I didn't know.
Then that was stinky of the "pastor" to not inform you when he invited you. Bleh! It's almost like you were set up.

And what's with the "interpreter?" Even if she preferred nudity, her personal preferences should be trumped by professional terp practices with would require her to wear something that contrasted with her skin tone.

. . . and if I find out that you're putting us on . . . :whip:

I been "church-hunting" as well.

Some of the churches that I "shopped" at provided interpreters and asked for a collection of donations and paid the interpreter at the end of the service.

Some churches used their own members who would sign out of the goodness of their hearts. Nice and sweet but didn't really convey the message that well.
I'm sorry that you're having such a discouraging search.

I've never heard of taking a collection for the interpreter's service. (The terps at my church are volunteers; no monetary compensation.)

I'm afraid too many well-meaning churches do use basic level signers for interpreting.

I'm sorry that you're having such a discouraging search.

I've never heard of taking a collection for the interpreter's service. (The terps at my church are volunteers; no monetary compensation.)

I'm afraid too many well-meaning churches do use basic level signers for interpreting.

That was the situation with this particular "nudist" church that I went too.

I noticed that she was signing but couldn't stay tuned to it as it was uncomfortable

And my daughter says not to wear dangly jewelry because it is distracting. :D

Churches pretty much rely on volunteer services for everything. I have been asked to terp for churches and I don't even go to church. When I have pointed out that not only am I not a church goer but my ASL has deteriorated to where it disgusts even me the reply has been, "Then it will give you practice and everybody will benefit."

As far as D/deaf people going to hell because they did not get the correct exact interpretation of his word? I don't think many Christians would side with you on that.

truesign, what the heck are you talking about? Do you expect us to use Exact English sign languge (SEE) so that you want to sign word for word. I learned to sign the Exact English sign language after I graduated from mainstream high school (no sign language allowed, not even in elementary school too) from a Deaf pastor who ministered in a Deaf church. I am Catholic. Few years later when I went to the National Theater for the Deaf in Minneapolis, Minnesota. All of us Deafies had a hard time not understanding the play because they were using their home sign language. Every state have their own sign language and if you visit the next door state, you will get confused not understanding that is different than your own home sign language. That is why the National Theater for the Deaf from Connecticut invented the sign ASL (American Sign Language) and spread from coast to coast in United States and Canada except Quebec. All of us Deafies really like the ASL better because it is universal and it has many pictures signs which is more easier to understand than Exact English sign language. So that is how we adopt the ASL in our lives and it work out beautifully. You do not have to use word for word everytime someone interpret the language for your wife or any of us, Deafies. Every countries have different sign languages and we are trying to understand Universal sign language when we visit other countries. Just take my word for it that ASL is the best method to use in all of the elementary schools, high schools, colleges and churches or wherever that you need to be interpret in courts and medical offices. We are telling you because we know, and we are not stupid, just because you want us to use word for word. So come one and smell the roses and look at the beautiful world we are living in, eh, maybe not that beautiful world if we are talking about wars and diseases. Think positive. Do whatever you want to sign with your wife as being comfortable. Everyone have their preference. :cool2:

Back