Snap shot TV deaf aids

Habanerocat

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any device out there that you can take a snap shot of a TV picture so that you can easily return to it again and again.

Example being:

I are watching a soccer/football match on TV. The teams are listed before the match, but because I can't hear, I forget who is who. I am recently deaf and I find that as time goes on I am loosing touch with sport/players names etc.

It could be a feature of a DVD recorder. Hit a button to go to point X (team lists) then button again to return to almost live TV.

Thanks.

Hi,

Is there any device out there that you can take a snap shot of a TV picture so that you can easily return to it again and again.

Example being:

I are watching a soccer/football match on TV. The teams are listed before the match, but because I can't hear, I forget who is who. I am recently deaf and I find that as time goes on I am loosing touch with sport/players names etc.

It could be a feature of a DVD recorder. Hit a button to go to point X (team lists) then button again to return to almost live TV.

Thanks.

Any DVR can do that. DVR=Digital Video Recorder, Dish Network, DirecTV, and most cable companies provide a DVR these days.

Any DVR can do that. DVR=Digital Video Recorder, Dish Network, DirecTV, and most cable companies provide a DVR these days.
The OP talked about a snapshot (photo). No, a DVR doesn't do that but it can record a show or replay a live TV up to 30 minutes. When the OP wants to see a team list, he has to rewind the video as long as it's within 30 minutes of saved video if it's not recorded. I have a FIOS HD DVR and it doesn't take a snapshot at all.

Instructions from a DVR manual:

"Recording the saved portion

Up to 30 minutes of the current channel’s broadcast is always being saved, even when you’re not recording. When you change channels, the DVR clears the saved portion on the tuner you’re watching and starts saving again on the new channel. So, if the saved portion is important to you, either record the program or don’t change the channel.
To record the saved portion in addition to the rest of the program, choose Record This Showing."

Hi,

Example being:

Thanks.
Yes, there are devices called a camera or a cellphone/smartphone with built-in camera to take a snapshot. That's it. Another way is to record the show via DVR if you have one but you have to rewind it to see a team list again and again. My FIOS HD DVR now has a new feature that includes chapters of video recording like DVD scenes but I don't know about other DVRs.

Yes, there are devices called a camera or a cellphone/smartphone with built-in camera to take a snapshot. That's it. Another way is to record the show via DVR if you have one but you have to rewind it to see a team list again and again. My FIOS HD DVR now has a new feature that includes chapters of video recording like DVD scenes but I don't know about other DVRs.

The camera/cellphone is definately an option. I assumed the quality wouldn't be great. Well there is only one way to find out and that's try it.

I'll give it a shot and get back to ye.

Thanks.

I see where you are in Ireland, so I don't know how your broadcast works.
But here in America we can go on the internet and pull up the roster list of names of players along with their number and position. This also is for either American football (NFL) and soccer (MLS).
So try that and get on the internet and see if your teams have a roster list and you can make a copy of it. Good luck

Sadly a lot of our sports this side of the pond are recorded. You can only look up the rosta online if you remember to do it before the result is available... I watch nfl over here and it's annoying when you want to look stuff up, you can't unless you want to know how it finished.

Some DVR products allow you to screen capture, but you have to keep interrupting the program to go back to your picture, you'd miss more of the show. I think photographing the screen is probably the better choice.

Ok Thanks for all yer help.

Unfortunately the sport I watch most, hurling, isn't professional, so they don't have their names on the back of their jersey yet. They also wear helmets, which makes it that bit harder to recoganise players. Soccer isn't too bad, you just hope the guy will turn around at the right time to see his name.

Anyway the solution I cam up with is:
Most matches I watch on time slip (almost live) using a DVD recorder, so I can pause and rewind and answer the door if needed and not miss anything. So the solution is to use a second DVD recorder. Watch almost live with one and pause the other at the team sheets and switch over when and if I need to. Expensive solution but.....

Thanks!

Back