Smartphone -- I am so confused!

Lee H.

Reaction score
I was told by my doctor to get a smartphone because I need apps to help me with my disablities. I have other disabilties other than being deaf.

I never own a cellphone before! :eek3:

No one was able to TELL me the truth (or didn't know) the answer to my questions:
  1. If i am to use app, does it require me to be "online" at all time to use it? I mean AFTER I installed (downloaded) the app.
  2. How do I know how many MB of web usage is enough? I am NOT big on internet by phone.
  3. The doctor told me to make sure that the app provides me with vibrating prompting, I haven't yet figure out how to find out which phone has it,, do you know? I know all phones provide vibrating option when phone rings, but what about vibrating to alert me from calendar app?
I found a plan, 200 voice minutes (perfect for when I need to use VCO while using VR every now and then,) UNLIMITED texting (perfect for us,, all the texting,) and 200 mb of web/email.. all that for $25 a month. of course, my biggest fear,, is 200mb enough for the apps I will be using? :dunno2:

I went to couple of phone stores and salesmen at both place were COMPLETE JERKS.. they tried to push me into getting everything I don't need. And I read online that "average" smartphone user pays about $160 a month. I can't afford that!

My daughter who is hearing, told me that she never met anyone who actually know how smartphone works. She has Android, love it, but is still clueless about app for disabled. Her best friend couldn't help either and he adores his droid.

Is there ANY person or resource that will HONESTLY tell me what I need and to help me decide if 200mb/month is enough. Thank you.

What apps is the doctor talking about? There are thousands and thousands of apps out there. So if you can be more specific, that would help to answer your questions.

What apps is the doctor talking about? There are thousands and thousands of apps out there. So if you can be more specific, that would help to answer your questions.

I was told there are several apps. I am not even sure what apps I will need. All Vocational Counselor said, get the phone and we will go through the list. The apps I will need is to help those with Cognitive Disabilities. One good example would be reminder (to remind me of appointments or to take med.)

Does that help now?

Lots of phones have calendars that will do that for you anyway.

I think you should go through the list before getting a phone.

I was told by my doctor to get a smartphone because I need apps to help me with my disablities. I have other disabilties other than being deaf.

I never own a cellphone before! :eek3:

No one was able to TELL me the truth (or didn't know) the answer to my questions:
  1. If i am to use app, does it require me to be "online" at all time to use it? I mean AFTER I installed (downloaded) the app.
  2. How do I know how many MB of web usage is enough? I am NOT big on internet by phone.
  3. The doctor told me to make sure that the app provides me with vibrating prompting, I haven't yet figure out how to find out which phone has it,, do you know? I know all phones provide vibrating option when phone rings, but what about vibrating to alert me from calendar app?
I found a plan, 200 voice minutes (perfect for when I need to use VCO while using VR every now and then,) UNLIMITED texting (perfect for us,, all the texting,) and 200 mb of web/email.. all that for $25 a month. of course, my biggest fear,, is 200mb enough for the apps I will be using? :dunno2:

I went to couple of phone stores and salesmen at both place were COMPLETE JERKS.. they tried to push me into getting everything I don't need. And I read online that "average" smartphone user pays about $160 a month. I can't afford that!

My daughter who is hearing, told me that she never met anyone who actually know how smartphone works. She has Android, love it, but is still clueless about app for disabled. Her best friend couldn't help either and he adores his droid.

Is there ANY person or resource that will HONESTLY tell me what I need and to help me decide if 200mb/month is enough. Thank you.

Are you looking at Kroger's Iwireless phone plan? I recommend Virgin Mobile plan. $25 for unlimited texts,email, web, and data with 300 voice minutes. you could pick either Samsung Intercept(with physical keyboard) or LG Optimus V(Touchscreen)

Are you looking at Kroger's Iwireless phone plan? I recommend Virgin Mobile plan. $25 for unlimited texts,email, web, and data with 300 voice minutes. you could pick either Samsung Intercept(with physical keyboard) or LG Optimus V(Touchscreen)

Hmm,, yes, it's Kroger's.

I never heard of Virgin Mobile. I will look more into it. The unlimited web sounds good and it has 100 more minutes for voice, again, very usual if you are VCO person.

thank you

Thank you so much! As I said eariler, I never heard of it. It seems that I could get "best coverage" where I live and "good" at my older daughter's home and "best" at my younger. This helps alot in case if I am there visiting.

by having UNLIMITED web, this will take the worry off my mind, not knowing if I need to be online 24/7 to use the app or not. And best of all,, NO CONTRACT!

I looked at both phones you suggested, I think the Intercept is better, so I can FEEL the keyboard.

Again, THANK YOU,, still can't understand why I never heard of Virgin Mobile. Oh well.....

first off- take a deep breath.

feel better ? good, now here is my advice.

I agree with you about sales people being pushy and that is how they get paid. They don't play with every phone on the market that is in thier store, so many are low paid, clueless people trying to earn a living. (I feel for them, but this is another thread)

I am sorry to say- but you have been walking in the wrong places. How do I know? I was in your shoes before and I went to the "hearing places". nearly all of them of various carriers are not aware of deaf plans for data plan only. This is what you want. most carriers data unlimited plans start at 29 bucks a month to 49 bucks a month. You need to contact a deaf representative who specialized in the deaf data only plans to get the best option for you. let me know if you want to go with sprint- I'll point you in the right direction. as for other carriers, maybe other alldeaf member can point you in their direction too?

data only means you can use any app you install with no minutes limitations. you can email, text, browse internet, send mms (pics and videos), use gps enabled features, connect computer for internet (some phones have this capabilities, but we are getting ahead ourselves).

1.If i am to use app, does it require me to be "online" at all time to use it? I mean AFTER I installed (downloaded) the app.

Dont worry about this- getting a data only plan will ease your mind.no need to worry as its unlimited plan many apps don't go online, but many others uses the internet connection.

2.How do I know how many MB of web usage is enough? I am NOT big on internet by phone.

Again- getting data only unlimited plan will ensure that you wont need to care how much MB data you use. for the hearing- its a marketing gimmick since many teenagers go on internet and texts alot so its a money maker.

3.The doctor told me to make sure that the app provides me with vibrating prompting, I haven't yet figure out how to find out which phone has it,, do you know? I know all phones provide vibrating option when phone rings, but what about vibrating to alert me from calendar app?

I do know for a fact that many blackberry smartphone have this capabilities as I use one myself, so look into the blackberries. ( i am a blackberry addict LOL!!)

no, get iPod Touch, you don't need to spend any bucks on every month.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

160? I pay only 36 a mnth for my smartphone. My gf has an ipod touch, tho.

This is what you want. most carriers data unlimited plans start at 29 bucks a month to 49 bucks a month. You need to contact a deaf representative who specialized in the deaf data only plans to get the best option for you.( i am a blackberry addict LOL!!)
Thank you so much, trouble is, data only plan will not meet my need. I need voice option if I am to use VCO while using VR. For that reason, I figured 200 (or 300) minutes is enough Also, I don't want to be locked into a contract. It looks like Virgin Mobile is my best option for its low monthly costs for it has unlimited web/email (data.)
no, get iPod Touch, you don't need to spend any bucks on every month.
I thought about that, but given my age. My family been on my case for years to get a phone, so might as well hit two birds at once.
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )
160? I pay only 36 a mnth for my smartphone. My gf has an ipod touch, tho.
GOOD QUESTION! My kids are paying almost 200 a month for their plan and they are under family plan. I refuse to join in with them! The 160 average came from a website which I can't find the source. Take my kids,, they HAVE TO HAVE unlimited everything -- music, web, voice, texting, IM with aol and yahoo, and whatmore - it all adds up. If you read The GeekBone you can see how it adds up sooooo much.

I want to take this moment to thank everyone for helping me. You all made me feel better as I figure out what I want to do. As I said eariler, I think I will go with Virgin Mobile for its unlmited texting and surfing, yet don't have so many voice minutes which I plan to use once in a while as I use it for VCO while talking through VR.

Cheer!
Lee

Thank you so much, trouble is, data only plan will not meet my need. I need voice option if I am to use VCO while using VR. For that reason, I figured 200 (or 300) minutes is enough Also, I don't want to be locked into a contract. It looks like Virgin Mobile is my best option for its low monthly costs for it has unlimited web/email (data.)

I thought about that, but given my age. My family been on my case for years to get a phone, so might as well hit two birds at once.

GOOD QUESTION! My kids are paying almost 200 a month for their plan and they are under family plan. I refuse to join in with them! The 160 average came from a website which I can't find the source. Take my kids,, they HAVE TO HAVE unlimited everything -- music, web, voice, texting, IM with aol and yahoo, and whatmore - it all adds up. If you read The GeekBone you can see how it adds up sooooo much.

I want to take this moment to thank everyone for helping me. You all made me feel better as I figure out what I want to do. As I said eariler, I think I will go with Virgin Mobile for its unlmited texting and surfing, yet don't have so many voice minutes which I plan to use once in a while as I use it for VCO while talking through VR.

Cheer!
Lee

$160 must for hearing or business only.

Most Deaf spend around $30-$60 a months.

Data Only Plan - Sprint Relay Store
Sprint is very good price and unlimited everything without 4G for only $29. You won't need 4G.

You can use google voice app for Android and iPhone. It's free.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

I can't get over the number of people here that are recommending a certain carrier/provider without also recommending that the OP check their coverage map to be sure what coverage is available from that company in his area.

I can't get over the number of people here that are recommending a certain carrier/provider without also recommending that the OP check their coverage map to be sure what coverage is available from that company in his area.

You are so right about that! I live in mountainous area and you will find ALL sort of carriers here, depending on where they live or work. For example, my daughter,, she can have several choices at her home, but NOT at her job, only one choice. so she picked the one that works both at home and at work. My other daughter, who also lives in area has to pick another carrier cuz of her home, but very flexiable at her job site,, oy vey.

BTW, I picked my carrier and will be starting it next week. My vocational rehab counselor and her co-workers are going to teach me how to use it. :D

good point- there so many of us are satisfied with the carriers we are with since it works for us, its easy to be eager try to help without taking a step back and think- what if it doesnt work for them ? would the advice we give become a bad one? :P

yes, definitely check the coverage maps with the carrier first, or get feedback from family/friends that may use the carrier. T-Mobile technically doesn't have actual coverage for Wyoming, so I've been in "roaming" coverage for 4 years now. I'd try Sprint, but I don't know of any locals that uses Sprint so I don't want to risk getting Sprint and have it not working for me. I have had friends that have been able to use T-mobile locally, as I was really attracted to the Sidekicks. But now, I think I'll switch to Verizon or AT&T (I'm leaning more towards AT&T since they have the TAP plan and the pricing seems reasonable, Verizon's data only plans cost more). I would LOVE to give Virgin Mobile/Sprint a try, but I have no idea how their devices will work in Wyoming. So I'm basically stuck with AT&T and Verizon as my choices (we also have Union Wireless, but they don't offer data-only plans so forget them!).

Back