Smartphone brightness mystery

Settings > Display > Brightness > then you can de-select "Automatic Brightness".

For the record, settings/display brightness (on my phone) only gives me a slider scale. Looked like it was all the way down (I think it got moved there when I chose the lowest % from a menu of choices in another context) but it turns out there was a teensy bit of room to slide it down: That's the level I wanted back!

THANK YOU VamPyroX!!

Actually, thanks everyone. For even taking a shot at this. I knew it had to be in there somewhere but I couldn't find it, and I know it's hard to try to find something on an interface that's not sitting in front of you.

There should be a brightness setting from sliding down the top display bar. The bar with the time, battery, signal, & notifications.

That's exactly what I recently said a few posts ago. :thumb:

It seemed like you were talking about sliding downward from the top to get different options of settings you can choose and then control, whereas Reba was talking about directly controlling the brightness by sliding left to right.

The setup varies on the phone.

Yes, they have more than one Samsung Galaxy S2... depending on where the phone provider is.

Soooo true. Like that "auto" checkbox just not being there. You described it and it was in the video Reba linked to, but my phone doesn't have it. I notice that alot when I look online for guidance about this phone. There will be a menu they describe and I have maybe the first half of the items they tell me I do.

It also depends on the user.

cough!

I had a weird experience with my phone. It's a samsung galaxy II, which I use mostly for texting and figuring out where I am if I get lost on the road.

I was sitting at home, I forget doing exactly what, probably deleting old texts, something like that, and I don't know what happened. Maybe I hit a control somehow and didn't realize it, but the screen got way brighter. I thought oh crap, this is going to kill my battery. So I went into settings and put the brightness on my lowest setting, made sure power saving mode was on, made sure GPS (etc) were off when not in use, everything I could find. But still the screen looks brighter than it did before. And my battery seems to be draining way faster.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

My phone has AVG antivirus on it, and it has a section on brightness, and I always put it to the lowest part of brightness. You can do a similar thing for your phone, if you decided to install that. However, when I'm outside, and it's bright outside, I'll brighten up the phone so I can see where I'm going, and not have an OOPS moment. Easier to do that way.

My phone has AVG antivirus on it, and it has a section on brightness, and I always put it to the lowest part of brightness. You can do a similar thing for your phone, if you decided to install that. However, when I'm outside, and it's bright outside, I'll brighten up the phone so I can see where I'm going, and not have an OOPS moment. Easier to do that way.

Thanks - I don't hav AVG on my phone but maybe someday I'll use my phone for going online more, and then that would be a good idea. But Reba and VamPyroX have helped and solved my problem. Wheeeee.

Perhaps it was a predetermined issue? According to this article, an update was created to fix the brightness issue, but you will have to physically connect to a PC via USB cable to download it. I think your best bet is to go to a T-Mobile store and have them install it for you. This may involve a hard reset, so back up any data you don't want to lose.

Samsung solves Galaxy S2 auto-brightness issue $400

I'm ok now. Reba found the problem, and between Reba and VamPyroX, I have 2 places I can go to fix it if it happens again.

Back