Small Form Factor Home Automation Server

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. Sometime during the future, I'm thinking about building a small form factor home automation server, for controlling Insteon deivces which the server connects to an Insteon PowerLinc Controller which uses both RF and powerline for reliable communication.

The server will have Windows Server 2003, since I'd like to use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 for creating Insteon-enabled application for the server and my PPC6700 Pocket PC which work through Alltel network when then goes through the router via DynDNS. I'm a huge fan of Microsoft (and no I don't work with Microsoft), so that's why I'd wanted to choose Windows Server 2003 as I'm a "Windows Everywhere" kind of person who'd like to have Windows-enabled refregerators, ovens, microwaves, toasters, etc. but only if I own a house and this is beyond the scope of my topic... :giggle:

So, without delaying any further, here's the components that I will build:

Silver Morex Cubid 3677 Mini-ITX Case, for VIA Motherboards, Fits Slim 2.5" HDD, w/ PSU: $69.99
VIA EPIA-800A VIA C3 800MHz Processor VIA PLE133 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Set - Retail: $109.99
Kingston 256MB 168-Pin SDRAM PC 133 Desktop Memory - Retail: $29.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series MP0603H 60GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive: $49.99
SONY Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE Slim Combo Drive: $42.99

I know I have to buy some cables for completing a build, so it's no big deal.

This server I'm building won't be for speed, but it's all about doing home automation via Windows Server 2003 and I don't care about Linux or Mac since I fell in love with Windows and it'd be nice to code my own application that would allow me to control my lights like dimming the lights to 25% for movie previews and after 15 minutes, dim down to 5% to begin watching a movie. If I want to put my movie into intermission, I can pause the movie and brighten the lights up to 37% to get something to drink or if the pizza man knocks the door for me, but of course if I have a sensor for detecting a knock, the movie can pause and lights will bright up to 37%. It'd be nice to automate with a Pocket PC. :) But the sad part is I can't replace the light switches with an Insteon-enabled dimmers, unless I own a house... :( I'm a high-tech addict...

So, what do you think about the server configuration?

Hmmm...seems too late for me to edit my post...I should've mentioned "Windows Server 2003 Web Editiion" as I don't need a fully-featured server OS such as domain controller and such...

As you can see in the picture below:
directron_1935_956222277

It's nice to be able to hide it somewhere (while still providing ventilation) so that I could remotely control the home automation settings via a wireless network. The low-wattage power supply is great, which allows me to run the server 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

--- About to go off-topic ---

About Insteon (which I provided a link above), the reason why I went with Insteon is reliability. With X10 (which I previously used), to turn on the lamp, I have to wait about 833 milliseconds in order for the light to come on, but sometimes, the light may not come on. With Insteon, I can have up to 16.7 million devices, which uses a 24-bit addressing, which are pre-set by factory for each of Insteon devices. But with X10, you can have up to 256 devices. This can present a problem because if I live in an apartment, I can be sharing the same powerline with others, so if my apartment has a lamp module which sets to B15 and another apartment with a lamp module set to B15, okay so I turn on the light and -- both of the lights come on in two apartments! Worse, somebody can play with X10 addresses! Thus, X10 "protocol" dates back to 1975, while Insteon protocol is new on 2005, although consumers have not been aware by the time Insteon devices have been made and announced to the public.

You can view the products here. My two products (ControlLinc V2 Tabletop Controller and LampLinc V2 Dimmer) will be delivered by Thursday. This is my first time trying something new, since I didn't like X-10 that much...One problem is the stick-in wall switch that sticks into the wall and when taking the stick-in wall switch off the wall, it damaged the paint in the 1970s apartment... That's around last year--probably January/February 2006... :(

--- End off-topic ---

Seems like a great idea to me. I didn't even consider using windows 2003 server for the house. I skimmed the paragraph because ATM I am tired...but by the looks of it, it seems that you can control all or most of the home appliances with the server. I definitely have to try that one someday.

Sweet plan you got there! I am using Insteon (bought them from Smarthome) myself and I have a server running in my basement (Windows XP) and I'm using Homeseer as my Home Automation software. Right now I have it rigged to flash lights when the phone rings and when someone rings the doorbell. I also set it up to send me a message to my blackberry when the phone rings and doorbell goes off. It works great when I'm in the backyard or in the garage and didn't see the phone or doorbell lights.

i wud definitely try the homeseer and insteon things at home because i am making my home into smart home. i had wired the ethernet wires to several rooms from basement. i have made a old used pc into media server with 3 hdds that has over 130 dvd movies so we can select the movies on media network to watch in kitchen or living rm or bedroom, but i am interested in home control things like rick's mention about doorbell ringing sent emails and, of course, light controls and HVAC controls.

PS: maybe i will have some questions for you, rick and grayson after i ll install these toys ! :)

RickL66 I'm interested to know what unit you used from smarthome.com for your doorbell setup.

Dan

RickL66 I'm interested to know what unit you used from smarthome.com for your doorbell setup.

Dan

I'm using a Powerflash Module like this:
4060_xyz1.gif

I set it to detect when the doorbell is pressed (about 16-18 volts from the doorbell transformer) and it triggers a house code and unit code (i.e. B5) and when Homeseer sees a B5 triggered, I send a script to my Insteon appliances to flash the lights on and off.

I'm using a Powerflash Module like this:
4060_xyz1.gif

I set it to detect when the doorbell is pressed (about 16-18 volts from the doorbell transformer) and it triggers a house code and unit code (i.e. B5) and when Homeseer sees a B5 triggered, I send a script to my Insteon appliances to flash the lights on and off.

Thanks Rick, how big is that unit? Was it small enough to fit inside your existing door chime box?

Thanks Rick, how big is that unit? Was it small enough to fit inside your existing door chime box?

it's about as big as your fist. And no, it's too big to fit inside the door chime box. I put mine in the basement.

Back